Skip to main content
Topic: New numbers released (Read 9809 times) previous topic - next topic

New numbers released

Former Bulldog Liam Jones will wear No.14 at Carlton worn last year by Brock McLean. Former Swan Matthew Dick takes 31 and ex-Giants Kristian Jaksch and Mark Whiley have 18 and 24 respectively. Young midfielder Patrick Cripps has swapped the No.16 he wore in 2014 for No.9. The Blues are yet to allocate jumper numbers for all their new draftees.

Re: New numbers released

Reply #1
I wonder if Dylan will move to 16.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #2
I wonder if Dylan will move to 16.

I thought it was offered to him when he came to the club and he knocked it back. He wanted to be his own person and make his own history.
I could be wrong!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #3
I thought it was offered to him when he came to the club and he knocked it back. He wanted to be his own person and make his own history.

I've always found that to be a bit odd. Young Gazza winning flags and a Brownlow would have still made his own history in #5, and SOS made #1 his own. Personally I'd love to see Dylan in 16 and get his name on the locker with his old man.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #4

I've always found that to be a bit odd. Young Gazza winning flags and a Brownlow would have still made his own history in #5, and SOS made #1 his own. Personally I'd love to see Dylan in 16 and get his name on the locker with his old man.

Maybe so, DylBucks is not the only player to have displayed that attitude though, I guess it comes down to the individual.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #5
Former Bulldog Liam Jones will wear No.14 at Carlton worn last year by Brock McLean. Former Swan Matthew Dick takes 31 and ex-Giants Kristian Jaksch and Mark Whiley have 18 and 24 respectively. Young midfielder Patrick Cripps has swapped the No.16 he wore in 2014 for No.9. The Blues are yet to allocate jumper numbers for all their new draftees.

Old news. ;)

http://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=6.0

I think Pratty also mentioned this elsewhere

Reply #6

What are the chances of forcing Walker into retirement to free up the #1 when the Silvagni boys come on board?

Walker is contracted until the end of 2017.
Jack, the eldest, could be drafted next year.
Ben, the middle and best, would be draftable for the 2018 season.

Out: Walker
In: B. Silvagni  ??

Reply #7
I may be naive but would you really pension off one of our best players for an untried youth who happens to be the son of a champion?

Hopefully our new list manager won't be sucked in by such sentimental bullcrape.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
I may be naive but would you really pension off one of our best players for an untried youth who happens to be the son of a champion?

Hopefully our new list manager won't be sucked in by such sentimental bullcrape.

If Walker plays on in 2018 it will be as a 32yo.

It'll probably be touch and go whether he lasts that long as it is.

The 'untried youth'  is currently in the carlton academy and has won a few league best and fairests coming up through the underage comps. He can play ok. ;)

Reply #9
I was thinking myself that Walker will be getting on with his age in a few seasons time. His thing is to avoid injury and be on the sidelines too often. I hope this new Silvagni is as good as his father was.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #10

The 'untried youth'  is currently in the carlton academy and has won a few league best and fairests coming up through the underage comps. He can play ok. ;)

I may be naïve but I was winning B & Fs in under age footy and there was no way that I could take the step up to VFL (as it then was) even though the great Percy Jones encouraged me to give it a go.

One of my colleagues was an Olympic hurdler and he maintained that, in a discipline that requires strength and speed, hurdlers achieve their best in their mid 30s.  I reckon that Andrew Walker, at 32, 33, 34 or even 35, will be a better proposition than someone who is doing OK in underage footy.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11

The young SOS can put his hand up for the #1 Guernsey only when it becomes available. At this point in time 1AW owns it and rightfully so.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #12

Not quite right here. . . . . . Serge actually made No1 his own. SOS just took it over when he came on the scene. ;)
I don't mean to knock SOS at all, but the old fellow could play a bit too.

And no. Doing good things in underage footy does not make an AFL player. It gets a lot harder .
I speak from experience here.
Did OK in the Wimmera League and QAFL but would not have made the grade in the then VFL.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #13

I may be naïve but I was winning B & Fs in under age footy and there was no way that I could take the step up to VFL (as it then was) even though the great Percy Jones encouraged me to give it a go.

One of my colleagues was an Olympic hurdler and he maintained that, in a discipline that requires strength and speed, hurdlers achieve their best in their mid 30s.  I reckon that Andrew Walker, at 32, 33, 34 or even 35, will be a better proposition than someone who is doing OK in underage footy.

Of course B+F's, albeit LEAGUE B+F's, don't translate into a superstar footballer....or even an AFL calibre plodder....but when you add that to family history, you'd be very naive to think that the kid didn't have talent...and the bloodline certainly had the determination.

Reply #14

What are the chances of forcing Walker into retirement to free up the #1 when the Silvagni boys come on board?

Walker is contracted until the end of 2017.
Jack, the eldest, could be drafted next year.
Ben, the middle and best, would be draftable for the 2018 season.

Out: Walker
In: B. Silvagni  ??

I have a feeling the Silvagni boys are not that good.  Not AFL standard anyway.