Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017 Round #2: Carlton vs Williamstown (Read 25196 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017 Round #2: Carlton vs Williamstown

Reply #45
Yes, especially as I hit 60 soon..lol.

I'll be joining you in 2-3 years time....we are mature posters Jim in every sense of the word.... ;) 8)

Reply #46
Must say today's game gave me a bit of cheer. Even my Staffie smiled.  :)
It was a good game wasn't it - and they always looked in control, something we don't see very often in the CFC any more

Reply #47
I'll be joining you in 2-3 years time....we are mature posters Jim in every sense of the word.... ;) 8)

Haha...definitely, although like a few years less..lol.

Reply #48
No mention of Bilie Smedts that I can see, I thought he was very very good off half back, quality possessions, very skilful and precise????

Reply #49
Yes, especially as I hit 60 soon..lol.

Young whippersnappers!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
Good win, Willy have owned us for a while.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #51
Congratulations to NB's
Sounds like there's some real development in the youngsters, H and Kerr.
Great to see Jones still giving his all. I'd like to see him get a final look in the ones. Might be needed to help our rucks.

What's the quality of the opposition?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #52
AFL Vic Development League 2017
Northern Blues   0.2  2.10  6.13  8.18 (66)
Williamstown   4.3  7.6  11.7  13.9 (87)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Payne 2 Jones 2 Collins  Fowler  Romero  Ballard
Williamstown: Wilkinson 3 Schultz 2 Davies 2 Monk 2 Norton  Yeo  Goetz  Owen

BEST:
Northern Blues: Jones Declase Jordan Keppel Glover Ballard
Williamstown: Schultz Romensky Yeo Norton Minogue Pongracic

This is a damn good effort, considering there were so few ruck options. Excellent to see Tim Jones return from injury.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #53
Peter Jackson VFL 2017
Northern Blues   4.6  6.8  12.13  14.17 (101)
Williamstown   2.2  5.7  7.11  11.14 (80)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: McKay 3 Jaksch 2 Kerridge  Russell  Boekhorst  Cuningham  O'Shea  Strachan  Kerr  Graham  Stevens
Williamstown: Marcon 2 Cordy 2 Siposs 2 Ebinger  Cavarra  Currie  Masters  Wheeler

BEST:
Northern Blues: Jones Silvagni Kerridge Cuningham Graham Russell
Williamstown: Marcon Greiser Gibbons Fahey Cavarra Siposs

Considering hw poor we have been against Willi in recent times, this was an excellent result. Most of the Carlton listed players made a good contribution while the VFL boys showed that they will offer us a lot more than has been the case in recent years.
Considering that we did not have a top line ruckman, we did a brilliant job. Jones, especially, was excellent with his competitiveness and aggression.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #54
My view on today's game:
Carlton listed players:
Billie Smedts:   His best game yet in our colours. He was good last week, but his defensive work, his run and carry and his pressure really made him stand out. I would not be surprised if he is line for promotion next week. And I hope we play him in defence, as we did today.
I have not been over-impressed with his disposal, but today it was much improved. His hands and pace were excellent.

Alex Silvagni:   I was not a fan of signing this guy: I thought he was past it. He has changed my opinion. He was excellent again, for the 2nd week in a row and his opponents didn’t get a sniff. His run and his football brain were noticeable.

Dennis Armfield:   Dennis was very quiet early. He had very few possessions in the 1st half. However, he improved a lot after half time and got more of the ball. That said, his form did not warrant senior selection. However, his on-field leadership was excellent. His presence on the field, with guys like Silvagni, O’Shea and Russell, really gave stability to our youngsters. Even if he does not play any more senior football, he will be worth his contract in his present role.

Jesse Glass-McCasker:   With the lack of rucks this week, a number of players had to revert to their ‘standard roles’. Glass-McCasker was definitely one of those: he was required in defence as Jones could not play there. However, he had a decent game in defence and was in the play more than he has been. I would still like to have him play forward, but that is another issue.
Unfortunately, it appears that he has bone damage to his face. He may miss a number of weeks.

Dylan Buckley:   Buckley ruined an excellent game with 3 terrible turnovers. His pace and run from defence was excellent, as the Willi smalls struggled on him. That sort of form will get him in the thoughts of the match committee, as he was much more consistent, but his disposal will be the issue. This was one of very few 4 quarter efforts that Buckley has produced.

Blaine Boekhorst:   Boekhorst was ordinary early in the game, but as it wore on, he got more and more into it and he started to make less mistakes and produce the sort of football we require. I don’t think he did enough to get a promotion, but he was much better.

Kristian Jaksch:   He actually worked reasonably well today, but things did not fall his way. He took a couple of nice marks and competed well. I would like to have seen him in defence. If he can produce that sort of workrate he might get somewhere other than delisted.

Nick Graham:   Improved as the game went on. He is a star at this level. His tackling was excellent and his disposal much better than it can be. In the end he had more of the ball than anyone else on the ground.

Patrick Kerr:   Improving every week at this point. He took more marks and competed well, and made some excellent decisions that lead to goals. He has produced football much different to mark and kick style of last year. His kicking depth was excellent and field kicking very good. He needs to work on his endurance. But he does look like he could be useful.

Liam Jones:   Jones’ stats may not look that impressive, but his effort in the ruck was the difference between winning and losing. He minimized the influence of the Willi ruckmen and showed aggression, persistence and endeavour that would not have been believed in his first season with us. Even his kicking was more effective.
I would like to see him defence, but we had few options today. I have no idea how many tackles he had today, but it would have been a lot.

Andrew Gallucci:   Didn’t have a great day and struggled to have an influence. Better later in the game, but he only had 2 possessions in the first half.

Harry McKay:   He isn’t ready yet. He runs out of juice far too easily. He can barely play more than a quarter. However, he showed some great signs and really hurt Willi early. He took some great marks and was a great target. Unfortunately his stamina is just not there yet.

Sam Kerridge:   Wasn’t bad, but was not as effective this week. As the game went on Kerridge got more into it. He didn’t fumble much today, which is an improvement.
David Cuningham:   Probably his best game so far. He got huge numbers early and managed to get a LOT of clearances. His kicking was excellent, but his burst of speed from the middle stood out. Pity his kicking at goal was ordinary. He dropped out of the game somewhat, but he still got close to 30 possessions.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #55
Something interesting from Coopps on BigFooty.

"I was standing next to our bench, directly behind the guy keeping track of the GPS data on a laptop. I could read all the stats, and can tell you that at 3/4 time Harry was 2nd for total amount of ground covered. He was up over 10km, with guys like Buckley and Boekhorst just below 8. I was watching him closely, and he doesn't stop moving. Don't worry about the tank!"

Reply #56
Something interesting from Coopps on BigFooty.

"I was standing next to our bench, directly behind the guy keeping track of the GPS data on a laptop. I could read all the stats, and can tell you that at 3/4 time Harry was 2nd for total amount of ground covered. He was up over 10km, with guys like Buckley and Boekhorst just below 8. I was watching him closely, and he doesn't stop moving. Don't worry about the tank!"

Interesting intel. Thanks for posting.

Reply #58
My view on today's game:
Carlton listed players:
Billie Smedts:   His best game yet in our colours. He was good last week, but his defensive work, his run and carry and his pressure really made him stand out. I would not be surprised if he is line for promotion next week. And I hope we play him in defence, as we did today.
I have not been over-impressed with his disposal, but today it was much improved. His hands and pace were excellent.

Alex Silvagni:   I was not a fan of signing this guy: I thought he was past it. He has changed my opinion. He was excellent again, for the 2nd week in a row and his opponents didn’t get a sniff. His run and his football brain were noticeable.

Dennis Armfield:   Dennis was very quiet early. He had very few possessions in the 1st half. However, he improved a lot after half time and got more of the ball. That said, his form did not warrant senior selection. However, his on-field leadership was excellent. His presence on the field, with guys like Silvagni, O’Shea and Russell, really gave stability to our youngsters. Even if he does not play any more senior football, he will be worth his contract in his present role.

Jesse Glass-McCasker:   With the lack of rucks this week, a number of players had to revert to their ‘standard roles’. Glass-McCasker was definitely one of those: he was required in defence as Jones could not play there. However, he had a decent game in defence and was in the play more than he has been. I would still like to have him play forward, but that is another issue.
Unfortunately, it appears that he has bone damage to his face. He may miss a number of weeks.

Dylan Buckley:   Buckley ruined an excellent game with 3 terrible turnovers. His pace and run from defence was excellent, as the Willi smalls struggled on him. That sort of form will get him in the thoughts of the match committee, as he was much more consistent, but his disposal will be the issue. This was one of very few 4 quarter efforts that Buckley has produced.

Blaine Boekhorst:   Boekhorst was ordinary early in the game, but as it wore on, he got more and more into it and he started to make less mistakes and produce the sort of football we require. I don’t think he did enough to get a promotion, but he was much better.

Kristian Jaksch:   He actually worked reasonably well today, but things did not fall his way. He took a couple of nice marks and competed well. I would like to have seen him in defence. If he can produce that sort of workrate he might get somewhere other than delisted.

Nick Graham:   Improved as the game went on. He is a star at this level. His tackling was excellent and his disposal much better than it can be. In the end he had more of the ball than anyone else on the ground.

Patrick Kerr:   Improving every week at this point. He took more marks and competed well, and made some excellent decisions that lead to goals. He has produced football much different to mark and kick style of last year. His kicking depth was excellent and field kicking very good. He needs to work on his endurance. But he does look like he could be useful.

Liam Jones:   Jones’ stats may not look that impressive, but his effort in the ruck was the difference between winning and losing. He minimized the influence of the Willi ruckmen and showed aggression, persistence and endeavour that would not have been believed in his first season with us. Even his kicking was more effective.
I would like to see him defence, but we had few options today. I have no idea how many tackles he had today, but it would have been a lot.

Andrew Gallucci:   Didn’t have a great day and struggled to have an influence. Better later in the game, but he only had 2 possessions in the first half.

Harry McKay:   He isn’t ready yet. He runs out of juice far too easily. He can barely play more than a quarter. However, he showed some great signs and really hurt Willi early. He took some great marks and was a great target. Unfortunately his stamina is just not there yet.

Sam Kerridge:   Wasn’t bad, but was not as effective this week. As the game went on Kerridge got more into it. He didn’t fumble much today, which is an improvement.
David Cuningham:   Probably his best game so far. He got huge numbers early and managed to get a LOT of clearances. His kicking was excellent, but his burst of speed from the middle stood out. Pity his kicking at goal was ordinary. He dropped out of the game somewhat, but he still got close to 30 possessions.

Agree with all of that...bit more kudos to Cuningham in that I thought he tackled well and was able to bring down bigger players...
Smedts is a smart footballer in terms of knowing his limitations, got caught once but generally doesnt stuff up and plays safe which can be good and bad as you need flair at times...
Silvagni may get a call up if we get another belting or if Bolton feels the heat and wants to limit the damage in games..
Kerr probably has a better allround game than Harry at the minute IMO....although Harry really can stick a mark and kick straight....Kerr has a bit more awareness IMO...