Skip to main content
Topic: 2016 - Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond (Read 78068 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2016 - Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #62
He has nice explosiveness and a good height to maybe be that player who can finally stop opposition small forwards for us.

He could be an upgrade on Yarran and allow Simmo to spend more time up the ground.

He has a hardness about him that wouldn't go astray too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
I think we need some players like Plowman and Byrne going past Simmo. His kicking has gone off and not getting any younger. Reliable backup rather than front-liner.

Reply #64
Simpson is still value especially when the chips are down and you want players putting their body on the line....no reason for him to bust his Ar$e in the NAB cup..
Saying that I am all for Byrne and Plowman playing asap but I dont think they will be replacing Simpson unless he is injured....

Reply #65
Byrne in VFL this morning-

https://amp.twimg.com/v/a906c336-7a29-4ad8-a916-dba4e90262d0

Gun.
There are native Aussie AFL footballer who couldn't do that. He has some serious ability.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66
There are native Aussie AFL footballer who couldn't do that. He has some serious ability.

Also not scared to have a go and back himself. He left quite a few BH players in his wake, and some of ours as well. Has some toe.

Very nice highlight.

Reply #68
DAAAYYYUUUUMMMMM.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #69
Still got some rough edges Byrne but we just have to play him as much as possible.

Reply #70
Still got some rough edges Byrne but we just have to play him as much as possible.

Yes.  Maybe not the first month, but definitely after that.  I'd love to see Sheehan get a run as well.

Reply #71
Our strength is the mid-field, Cripps, Graham, Kerridge, Murphy, Gibbs & E. Curnow with Kreuzer in the ruck gives us a strong basis to go forward. Richmond is very dependent on its mid-field and when you shut down Cotchin, as was done last year by North in the finals, they tend to struggle.
Our backline is adequate with Docherty, who I think is about to explode into the elite ranks, Touhy, Buckley and Simpson giving us plenty of run. Weitering makes us better but Rowe and Jamieson, while always giving their best will never regularly dominate their opponents. Plowman and Jaksch seem to have the pedigree to be better than Rowe and Jamieson and hopefully by the end of the year they will be the first choice key position defenders.
Our weaknesses last year was our forward line. We actually have a forward line but it is playing for other clubs. Lack of team cohesion, hopefully BB can fix that. A lack of outside run, looking at Boekhorst and some of the others we have recruited, I don't think it will such a problem. Our disposal, which continues to be a problem and it will be a test for BB
Long term I have high hopes for Harry McKay and Silvagni, who looks about a year away, but I think C Curnow is a mid-fielder. We need a rebuild.
Round 1 I think we will be competitive but can we kick enough goals to win. Other than Walker, no one has ever kicked six in a match. We need players who can regularly kick goals.

Reply #72
Our strength is the mid-field, Cripps, Graham, Kerridge, Murphy, Gibbs & E. Curnow with Kreuzer in the ruck gives us a strong basis to go forward. Richmond is very dependent on its mid-field and when you shut down Cotchin, as was done last year by North in the finals, they tend to struggle.
Our backline is adequate with Docherty, who I think is about to explode into the elite ranks, Touhy, Buckley and Simpson giving us plenty of run. Weitering makes us better but Rowe and Jamieson, while always giving their best will never regularly dominate their opponents. Plowman and Jaksch seem to have the pedigree to be better than Rowe and Jamieson and hopefully by the end of the year they will be the first choice key position defenders.
Our weaknesses last year was our forward line. We actually have a forward line but it is playing for other clubs. Lack of team cohesion, hopefully BB can fix that. A lack of outside run, looking at Boekhorst and some of the others we have recruited, I don't think it will such a problem. Our disposal, which continues to be a problem and it will be a test for BB
Long term I have high hopes for Harry McKay and Silvagni, who looks about a year away, but I think C Curnow is a mid-fielder. We need a rebuild.
Round 1 I think we will be competitive but can we kick enough goals to win. Other than Walker, no one has ever kicked six in a match. We need players who can regularly kick goals.

We used to have a $hitload of those.

Reply #74
Trying to pick a side for round 1.

Byrne Jammo Touhy
Simmo Weitering Docherty
Boekhorst Cripps E.Curnow
C.Curnow Casboult Kerridge
Walker Rowe Buckley

Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs

Thomas Wright Graham Everitt

Just a bit of a guess.