Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 2 - Blues v Pies (11 March, Monday holiday) (Read 22114 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 2 - Blues v Pies (11 March, Monday holiday)

Reply #150
Kernahan, Pearce, Spalding?
Curnow, McGovern, McKay

I'm not suggesting it is like for like but if the first three could run around a forward line together and not upset each other then why can't the new lot.
Bombing into the forward line has and never will work. We have three talls that can lead and mark (unfortunately not like Fev could though).
Why can't they lead in different directions, we should be blessed with leading options to kick to.
Why do we bomb and hope then? If we are going to bomb it then kick it away from the player so he can run on to it, don't kick it onto his head.
Always kick to advantage, unless your Polson then kick it under the backman to the player behind. ;D
Teague is forward coach isn't he? Come on mate make us look classy not messy.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #151
It'll take time to gel....

Harry played 13 games last year, MM zero in a navy jumper!!

Delivery I50 a bigger issue but as others have said, Pies' midfield just about the best around....our young blokes did pretty well against that line up?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #152
Kernahan, Pearce, Spalding?
Curnow, McGovern, McKay

I'm not suggesting it is like for like but if the first three could run around a forward line together and not upset each other then why can't the new lot.
Bombing into the forward line has and never will work. We have three talls that can lead and mark (unfortunately not like Fev could though).
Why can't they lead in different directions, we should be blessed with leading options to kick to.
Why do we bomb and hope then? If we are going to bomb it then kick it away from the player so he can run on to it, don't kick it onto his head.
Always kick to advantage, unless your Polson then kick it under the backman to the player behind. ;D
Teague is forward coach isn't he? Come on mate make us look classy not messy.

The bomb into the forwardline is known as "chaos ball theory".  It's a defensive mechanism, not an offensive one.

You put the ball into dangerous positions that could/should result in scoring provided opposition defenses are put under enough pressure.

The thing is with the chaos ball, its not elegant, but its effective at preventing opposition defenses from rebounding.  You actually don't care if you mark it, the whole point is to create space.  You do it often enough and defenses get "lazy". They stop manning up and start marking grass instead.  Once they are worried about the turf war, you then open up the forwardline for more elegant leading.

Slicing your way through is what you call an idealist approach to playing football.  You will find that the first is a function of creating the time and space required to execute the second.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #153
It'll take time to gel....

Harry played 13 games last year, MM zero in a navy jumper!!

Delivery I50 a bigger issue but as others have said, Pies' midfield just about the best around....our young blokes did pretty well against that line up?

How many games have Harry, Charlie and Mitch played together?  It might take them a few games to gel, but gel they will ???? And then there’s Crippa playing as a key forward too.  Teague has his hands full but what talent to work with!

I thought our mids did quite well given the quality of the opposition.  Even the most optimistic supporters would have to concede that we were outmatched.

It’s still a work in progress but there are good signs ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #154
It’s still a work in progress but there are good signs ????

Yes good signs long term.

I expect if we can stay in games we'll get hold a few teams this season, but the reverse is also true.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #155
AFL website:

Best - Cripps, Simpson, Petrevski-Seton, Cuningham, McKay, Jones

I reckon that’s pretty close to the mark.

I didn't think any of our boys actually played a better than average game by their own standards.

Cripps and Jones were solid, SPS was good, Cunningham played his role and Simpson really struggled under pressure.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #157
What went really well today were the amount of times we were able to break down their ball movement. They had a lot of possessions which went sideways and back which was obviously a result of our midfield defensive slide across the ground to cut off easy options. When they picked a way through the midfield our defense were pretty good at intercepting them. We won't face too many midfields more capable of cutting up an opponent through the midfield than collingwood.

What dropped off from last week was the damage from the small forwards. Gibbons, Ed and Polson weren't able to have the impact crumbing they did against the bombres.

Cunningham was very good again but down on last week.

One comment: There seemed to be a breeze blowing to the end that we kicked to in the last quarter. It was the scoring end - but the commentators never seemed to pick up on it.

Spot on. This aspect was a huge improvement on anything I saw last year.

Reply #158
I'd like to know what  MacGovern is going to do to justify the  fat term contract.  Yet to be impressed.  Not buying the hype.

Dow....  Be prepared for second year blues I reckon.

Biggest concern... The coach.   Game plan and system... When are we going to see some???

Mcgovern looks like hen is catching up after missing a bit of pre-season. He'll end up a good player for us for many years even if he has a slow start. Getting used to playing in our forward line will be an eye-opener for him.

Reply #159
Mcgovern looks like hen is catching up after missing a bit of pre-season. He'll end up a good player for us for many years even if he has a slow start. Getting used to playing in our forward line will be an eye-opener for him.

My brother played at VFL reserves level and even though he follows some unmentionables he is quite complimentary to our list. But he said we have all the premium ingredients but it looks like we have just thrown them into one big pot hoping to end up with a three course meal.

If you look at the last JLT game against the Filth, our size and strength deficiency is glaring in the list of the oppositions top players

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/jlt-community-series/2019/2/coll-v-carl#full-time-stats

No matter how good Cripps is, he cannot overcome that sort of discrepancy on his lonesome and pushing him too hard to try will just break him as a long term player.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #160
I am on the other side of the fence to the ones saying Simmo is cooked.

While I agree he is not at the peak of his powers he is the one player on our list we can least afford to lose at the very moment! He makes up a very small number of geniune running defenders we have down back. The only others we have that are fit are Newman (yet to play oen game for us yet) and Garlett (not a  fan).

Once we get both Williamson and Doc back then that will change things but till then Simmo plays every week.   

Reply #161
I am on the other side of the fence to the ones saying Simmo is cooked.

While I agree he is not at the peak of his powers he is the one player on our list we can least afford to lose at the very moment! He makes up a very small number of geniune running defenders we have down back. The only others we have that are fit are Newman (yet to play oen game for us yet) and Garlett (not a  fan).

Once we get both Williamson and Doc back then that will change things but till then Simmo plays every week.  

I think the majority just get frustrated with his disposal.
Most left footers that have played as much as Simmo have elite skills.
Simmo, no where near unfortunately.
He does make up for it in other ways

Reply #162
I think the majority just get frustrated with his disposal.
Most left footers that have played as much as Simmo have elite skills.
Simmo, no where near unfortunately.
He does make up for it in other ways

He's hardly on his pat in this respect amongst our senior lads...!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #163
Early in the last quarter I checked the stats on the AFL app and Collingwood had the top 10 ranked players on the ground and 17 of the top 19.

Yep. There's very little point in quibbling about internal polling. Even teams that get flogged by 100 points need to choose a best, 2nd best etc.

Until our players fill the majority of the top dozen BOG positions week in week out, we won't go far.

Reply #164
I didn't think any of our boys actually played a better than average game by their own standards.

Cripps and Jones were solid, SPS was good, Cunningham played his role and Simpson really struggled under pressure.

And we still got within a few points of last years runners-up.

Not a bad effort really.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.