Skip to main content

Poll

Pick your best 22 players (22 votes allowed!)

1 - Walker
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
2 - Menzel
[ 18 ] (3.6%)
3 - Murphy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
4 - Gibbs
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
5 - Judd
[ 5 ] (1%)
6 - Simpson
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
7 - Buckley
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
8 - Kreuzer
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
9 - Cripps
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
10 - Watson
[ 0 ] (0%)
11 - Warnock
[ 0 ] (0%)
12 - Boekhorst
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
13 - Yarran
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
14 - Jones
[ 0 ] (0%)
15 - Docherty
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
16 - Viojo-Rainbow
[ 0 ] (0%)
17 - Rowe
[ 15 ] (3%)
18 - Jaksch
[ 15 ] (3%)
19 - Giles
[ 0 ] (0%)
20 - Holman
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
21 - Sheehan
[ 4 ] (0.8%)
22 - Tutt
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
23 - Henderson
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
24 - Whiley
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
25 - Smith
[ 0 ] (0%)
26 - Foster
[ 0 ] (0%)
27 - Armfield
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
28 - Bell
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
29 - Gowers
[ 0 ] (0%)
30 - Johnson
[ 0 ] (0%)
31 - Dick
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
32 - Graham
[ 20 ] (4%)
33 - Everitt
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
34 - Walsh
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
35 - Curnow
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
36 - Wood
[ 12 ] (2.4%)
37 - Fields
[ 0 ] (0%)
38 - Byrne
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
39 - Thomas
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
40 - Jamison
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
41 - Casboult
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
42 - Tuohy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
43 - White
[ 14 ] (2.8%)
44 - Carrazzo
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
46 - Ellard
[ 0 ] (0%)
47 - Russell
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Topic: Pick your best 22 players - Part 8 (Season over - wooden spooners) (Read 118751 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pick your best 22 players - NEW POLL! (pre-season)

Reply #150
If Tutt plays ahead of Buckley and or Curnow I'll just about give it away. Tutt will be one of those blokes that's in and out of the side before being delisted, IMO.

Why have you got him in opposition to those 2?

Tutt is not a back pocket, nor a tagger.

FWIW, i reckon Tutt is in direct competition with the likes of Menzel, Smith and Boekhorst and to a lesser extent Walker and Daisy.

What i saw from Tutt was encouraging. Put him up a few notches in my book and is in my top 27. Not sure he gets a game yet, but he'd be ahead of Smith and holding his weight with Boekhorst...who he managed to outrun at one stage showing blistering pace. In truth, he is probably ahead of Boekhorst due to his AFL ready body/fitness.

I just don't rate him. Stephen Kenna mark II. I think if you're that size you need to be exceptional in other areas and that he's not. Like I said, in and out and eventually delisted. Not that I'm complaining about his recruitment, he cost us nothing.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #151
He's very quick Carrots.  Exceptionally quick.  I know at least one Doggies supporter who is disappointed that he left.

That being said I can only think of two Doggies supporters that I know...
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #152
He's very quick Carrots.  Exceptionally quick.  I know at least one Doggies supporter who is disappointed that he left.

That being said I can only think of two Doggies supporters that I know...

The Hun would still run with that as "50% of Dogs supporters were disappointed he left"  :P
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #153
I didn't mind Tutt on the weekend. 12 touches, 100% efficiency. He's quick but he's also known for having a huge tank. I think we'll see quite a bit of him this year.

Reply #154
If Tutt plays ahead of Buckley and or Curnow I'll just about give it away. Tutt will be one of those blokes that's in and out of the side before being delisted, IMO.

Why have you got him in opposition to those 2?

Tutt is not a back pocket, nor a tagger.

FWIW, i reckon Tutt is in direct competition with the likes of Menzel, Smith and Boekhorst and to a lesser extent Walker and Daisy.

What i saw from Tutt was encouraging. Put him up a few notches in my book and is in my top 27. Not sure he gets a game yet, but he'd be ahead of Smith and holding his weight with Boekhorst...who he managed to outrun at one stage showing blistering pace. In truth, he is probably ahead of Boekhorst due to his AFL ready body/fitness.

I just don't rate him. Stephen Kenna mark II. I think if you're that size you need to be exceptional in other areas and that he's not. Like I said, in and out and eventually delisted. Not that I'm complaining about his recruitment, he cost us nothing.

Mate, did you see him burn off Boekhorst and Bell to get a handball receive? Have you seen Boekhorsts highlights reel in which he burns off almost all of his opponents? I'd say he has exceptional speed based on what i saw. Seems to have a good tank too. Got to the right spot on more than one occasion. Not sure where the downside is.

He will never be an eddie betts, but he would be our best small forward on the list right now. My expectations were rock bottom when we got him - he walked from the dogs where he was struggling. To lump him with Kenna is a bit harsh. Kenna wouldn't get a game in todays side and its only out of desperation that he even got a spot on the list to begin with.

I'm not saying his will be our next king....although Steve Martin may disagree...
[flash=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/v/FYbavuReVF4[/flash]

FWIW, based on that video, i was calling him "funky" all game.  ;)

Reply #155
Rather be new than best 22 theory.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #157
We get sucked into new recruits and they immediately jump into our best 22's based on little more than they are new and fresh.

Happens in every forum, happens in the cricket thread.

Based on his 2 games, if Tutt is in our Best 22, we are in trouble. Maybe top 30 as you said.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #158
We get sucked into new recruits and they immediately jump into our best 22's based on little more than they are new and fresh.

Happens in every forum, happens in the cricket thread.

Based on his 2 games, if Tutt is in our Best 22, we are in trouble. Maybe top 30 as you said.

I agree to a certain extent.

Truth be told, these types of polls i am running will highlight things just like that.

I will run a few more throughout the year and compare results at the end. ;)

Reply #159
Tutt will be very much in the final squad IMO but does he get in the best 22 well it'll be line ball so love it or hate it that's where it's at with him right now.

Guys like Boekhorst and Buckley along with Tutt have blistering pace. Add in the bigger bodies at the stoppages to feed it off - Judd, Gibbs, Murphy, Carrazzo, Curnow, Cripps, Bell, White, Whiley - and the outside run of the blokes mentioned above along with the run and carry, finishing and pace of Yarran, Simpson, Everitt, Docherty and the like makes us dangerous. Can we make something happen to our advantage often enough is yet to be known but ore excitement and I reckon that's our best hope and also a game plan playing to our best tools that we have. Get the ball out to runners and a multitude of them running hard in numbers forward of centre will burn off teams. Gotta be sustainable though. It's going to be interesting, exciting and frustrating all in one I'm thinking! Winning the BALL well and often enough to feed the runners and 'finishers' will be the key IMO. Then up forward we'll be heavily reliant upon the likes of Henderson, Casboult and Jones. IMO, a very much underrated tall mobile forward target for an alternative is Andrejs Everitt. Offers something very different and dangerous to our attack. he's very fit, natural seeming up forward and attacking which I like. Walker when back will be great forward and on the wing also IMO.

Reply #160
Pratty,

What you have brought to our attention is where Mick thought we had a weakness. he mentioned we had a lack of running players. Players that could run and carry the ball forward. he looks like he is addressing the needs with players that can do this. Whether they can do this regularly at AFL level is yet to be seen. I have faith he can build something given some time. he just needs players that listen and work to their strengths.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #161
Tutt will be very much in the final squad IMO but does he get in the best 22 well it'll be line ball so love it or hate it that's where it's at with him right now.

Guys like Boekhorst and Buckley along with Tutt have blistering pace. Add in the bigger bodies at the stoppages to feed it off - Judd, Gibbs, Murphy, Carrazzo, Curnow, Cripps, Bell, White, Whiley - and the outside run of the blokes mentioned above along with the run and carry, finishing and pace of Yarran, Simpson, Everitt, Docherty and the like makes us dangerous. Can we make something happen to our advantage often enough is yet to be known but ore excitement and I reckon that's our best hope and also a game plan playing to our best tools that we have. Get the ball out to runners and a multitude of them running hard in numbers forward of centre will burn off teams. Gotta be sustainable though. It's going to be interesting, exciting and frustrating all in one I'm thinking! Winning the BALL well and often enough to feed the runners and 'finishers' will be the key IMO. Then up forward we'll be heavily reliant upon the likes of Henderson, Casboult and Jones. IMO, a very much underrated tall mobile forward target for an alternative is Andrejs Everitt. Offers something very different and dangerous to our attack. he's very fit, natural seeming up forward and attacking which I like. Walker when back will be great forward and on the wing also IMO.

Pratty..I think you are right about the pace, we will never be a physical team like the Hawks, Swans, Freo etc as we have too many weak bodies but  we do have some speedsters and Port have shown that pace coupled with good skills including good conversion plus extreme fitness can overcome and trouble most teams.

Reply #162
Wasn't that Ratts' gameplan? :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #163
It's not too hard to pick 16 or 17 but the last 5 or 6 are a bit of a lottery.

I'm surprised that so many folk have gone for Tutt and Jones.  I suspect that we'll struggle if they are in our best 22  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #164
Wasn't that Ratts' gameplan? :P

It was...Ratten didnt have the equipment to get the job done every week and he was too busy trying to turn the likes of Hampson into a key forward, we ran the ball well enough
but had no one up forward to mark or convert when they did take a mark,  the three amigos didnt work,  but he did send Yarran to half back which gave us a rebounding weapon. ...very hard to score winning totals when your best key marking forward was about 5'8...