Skip to main content

Poll

Pick your best 22 players (22 votes allowed!)

1 - Walker
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
2 - Menzel
[ 18 ] (3.6%)
3 - Murphy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
4 - Gibbs
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
5 - Judd
[ 5 ] (1%)
6 - Simpson
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
7 - Buckley
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
8 - Kreuzer
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
9 - Cripps
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
10 - Watson
[ 0 ] (0%)
11 - Warnock
[ 0 ] (0%)
12 - Boekhorst
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
13 - Yarran
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
14 - Jones
[ 0 ] (0%)
15 - Docherty
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
16 - Viojo-Rainbow
[ 0 ] (0%)
17 - Rowe
[ 15 ] (3%)
18 - Jaksch
[ 15 ] (3%)
19 - Giles
[ 0 ] (0%)
20 - Holman
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
21 - Sheehan
[ 4 ] (0.8%)
22 - Tutt
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
23 - Henderson
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
24 - Whiley
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
25 - Smith
[ 0 ] (0%)
26 - Foster
[ 0 ] (0%)
27 - Armfield
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
28 - Bell
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
29 - Gowers
[ 0 ] (0%)
30 - Johnson
[ 0 ] (0%)
31 - Dick
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
32 - Graham
[ 20 ] (4%)
33 - Everitt
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
34 - Walsh
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
35 - Curnow
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
36 - Wood
[ 12 ] (2.4%)
37 - Fields
[ 0 ] (0%)
38 - Byrne
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
39 - Thomas
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
40 - Jamison
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
41 - Casboult
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
42 - Tuohy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
43 - White
[ 14 ] (2.8%)
44 - Carrazzo
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
46 - Ellard
[ 0 ] (0%)
47 - Russell
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Topic: Pick your best 22 players - Part 8 (Season over - wooden spooners) (Read 118795 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pick your best 22 players - NEW POLL! (pre-season)

Reply #165
Walker is over 6 foot EB ;)
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #166
Wasn't that Ratts' gameplan? :P

It was...Ratten didnt have the equipment to get the job done every week and he was too busy trying to turn the likes of Hampson into a key forward, we ran the ball well enough
but had no one up forward to mark or convert when they did take a mark,  the three amigos didnt work,  but he did send Yarran to half back which gave us a rebounding weapon. ...very hard to score winning totals when your best key marking forward was about 5'8...

True....but he was sort of hamstrung by losing the best forward in the comp and having Jarrad Waite injured 80% of the time.

Anyway, it was more in jest! Don't want to turn this into a Ratts thread. :)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #167

Shades...Eddie was a more consistent  and regular target IMO, Walker had the one break out year when Ratten pushed him forward and he kicked 50 goals but has never
been a regular forward since...

Henderson, Casboult, Menzel, Everitt, Walker and Eddie would be a very balanced setup, Tutt, Ellard or Buckley in place of Eddie doesnt give me the same confidence.....I dont like the Henderson, Casboult, Jones or Watson format....too top heavy and too easy to run the ball out of our defense..

Walker has to play forward IMO....

Reply #168
One of our major problems, if not THE major problem, is the ability to get the ball to our running and damaging players without turning it over and setting up the opposition whilst leaving ourselves flat-footed. We MUST fix that this year, whoever is in the best 22.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #169
Ive been analysing game plans in light of some of the recent comments.

Regarding game plans, under Ratts, the game plan was tailored around individuals doing individually brilliant things to win games in roles tailored to take advantage of those inidividual brilliant skills.  When those players were stopped, teams stopped us, and hit us (hard) going back the other way often.

Under Mick, it seems to be a rigid game style, "perfect army" scenario where the roles players play, are more important than their abilities.  You play your role, then it will function to make everyone win.  If you are not able to play a role for one week for reason xyz, then you can be moved into a different role, and someone else into yours in order to break the contest open, and allow everyone to start winning their role.

Which you prefer is purely philosophical, and from where I can sit, I see the merit (and pitfalls) in both approaches, and I think the ideal scenario would be a mix of both.  You can go too far in both directions. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #170

Regarding game plans, under Ratts, the game plan was tailored around individuals doing individually brilliant things to win games in roles tailored to take advantage of those inidividual brilliant skills.  When those players were stopped, teams stopped us, and hit us (hard) going back the other way often.

Under Mick, it seems to be a rigid game style, "perfect army" scenario where the roles players play, are more important than their abilities.  You play your role, then it will function to make everyone win.  If you are not able to play a role for one week for reason xyz, then you can be moved into a different role, and someone else into yours in order to break the contest open, and allow everyone to start winning their role.

Which you prefer is purely philosophical, and from where I can sit, I see the merit (and pitfalls) in both approaches, and I think the ideal scenario would be a mix of both.  You can go too far in both directions.

I think this is basically the point several posters have been making and you will probably find quite a bit of agreement on here.

The issue of game plan is not black and white, the way we treated Ratten we actually threw the baby out with the bath water, now MM having spent years telling us the bath was no good is refilling it for the baby.

Ratten was foolish because he refused to bend despite glaring examples of inexperience, it cost him his job.

MM seemed similarly stubborn when he first joined Carlton, hell bent on implementing a game plan that did not suit the playing list with an "I know best" attitude. In the end MM has started to change the game plan, but not before offering some significant resistance and I suspect getting some home truths about the pitfalls of being "The Oracle".

Somewhere down the track it is going to arrive at the middle ground, where Ratten should have been heading and where MM should have started. ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #171

I think this is basically the point several posters have been making and you will probably find quite a bit of agreement on here.

The issue of game plan is not black and white, the way we treated Ratten we actually threw the baby out with the bath water, now MM having spent years telling us the bath was no good is refilling it for the baby.

Ratten was foolish because he refused to bend despite glaring examples of inexperience, it cost him his job.

MM seemed similarly stubborn when he first joined Carlton, hell bent on implementing a game plan that did not suit the playing list with an "I know best" attitude. In the end MM has started to change the game plan, but not before offering some significant resistance and I suspect getting some home truths about the pitfalls of being "The Oracle".

Somewhere down the track it is going to arrive at the middle ground, where Ratten should have been heading and where MM should have started. ;)

Great couple of posts guys !!

Totally agree with LP's conclusion !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #172

Shades...Eddie was a more consistent  and regular target IMO, Walker had the one break out year when Ratten pushed him forward and he kicked 50 goals but has never
been a regular forward since...

Henderson, Casboult, Menzel, Everitt, Walker and Eddie would be a very balanced setup, Tutt, Ellard or Buckley in place of Eddie doesnt give me the same confidence.....I dont like the Henderson, Casboult, Jones or Watson format....too top heavy and too easy to run the ball out of our defense..

Walker has to play forward IMO....

Ha I know mate, it was a slight dig our at lack of key forwards over the last period. Ratts probably did better than we give him credit for, working with a makeshift forward line with Setanta, the amigos and Walker, especially when Fev left.

Walker is a liability in defence and should be played forward of Centre as a lead up target.

#united #reset

Reply #173
Yep Great Post LP..

Not a conspiracy in site as well :-) ;)

#united #reset

Reply #174
Yep Great Post LP..

Not a conspiracy in site as well :-) ;)

I am sure I can find one if I try hard enough! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #175

Great couple of posts guys !!

Totally agree with LP's conclusion !!

I'm with LP too and it was a very good assessment of whats been going on and where we will end up..just wish he could tell me when that middle ground date is so I can plan my holidays ;)

Reply #176
Good analysis LP.  Probably the most succinct and accurate appraisal I've read.

Sometimes both experienced and inexperienced coaches can't see the wood for the trees.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #177
I think MM's major mistake when he joined us was that he swallowed what he was told by our senior folk about how far our list was from a premiership. Surprisingly gullible - there's no doubt in my mind that he got a very nasty shock when the reality became clear. Took him quite some time to realise and make the appropriate adjustments to board expectations and the consequent approach.

Alternatively he may have been fully aware of what he was getting into but had to go through a bit of a charade to get the board to realise the truth?

Reply #178
@Cookie, the guy coached against us for as long as is relevant. He then had a media role watching 3 games per week and probably more. He had spots on analysis shows so not only could he form his own view, he could get general consensus from experts and fans via talk back and the media.

I can't see how this could be the case.

Reply #179
@Cookie, the guy coached against us for as long as is relevant. He then had a media role watching 3 games per week and probably more. He had spots on analysis shows so not only could he form his own view, he could get general consensus from experts and fans via talk back and the media.

I can't see how this could be the case.

Well I did offer an alternative explanation assuming your argument were correct IOT. I'm not so sure though that you can know the full story, warts and all, if you're not inside a club. His judgement could have been clouded by his own ego and what he thought he could do to get the list to perform better?