Skip to main content

Poll

Pick your best 22 players (22 votes allowed!)

1 - Walker
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
2 - Menzel
[ 18 ] (3.6%)
3 - Murphy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
4 - Gibbs
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
5 - Judd
[ 5 ] (1%)
6 - Simpson
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
7 - Buckley
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
8 - Kreuzer
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
9 - Cripps
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
10 - Watson
[ 0 ] (0%)
11 - Warnock
[ 0 ] (0%)
12 - Boekhorst
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
13 - Yarran
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
14 - Jones
[ 0 ] (0%)
15 - Docherty
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
16 - Viojo-Rainbow
[ 0 ] (0%)
17 - Rowe
[ 15 ] (3%)
18 - Jaksch
[ 15 ] (3%)
19 - Giles
[ 0 ] (0%)
20 - Holman
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
21 - Sheehan
[ 4 ] (0.8%)
22 - Tutt
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
23 - Henderson
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
24 - Whiley
[ 3 ] (0.6%)
25 - Smith
[ 0 ] (0%)
26 - Foster
[ 0 ] (0%)
27 - Armfield
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
28 - Bell
[ 16 ] (3.2%)
29 - Gowers
[ 0 ] (0%)
30 - Johnson
[ 0 ] (0%)
31 - Dick
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
32 - Graham
[ 20 ] (4%)
33 - Everitt
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
34 - Walsh
[ 1 ] (0.2%)
35 - Curnow
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
36 - Wood
[ 12 ] (2.4%)
37 - Fields
[ 0 ] (0%)
38 - Byrne
[ 7 ] (1.4%)
39 - Thomas
[ 19 ] (3.8%)
40 - Jamison
[ 22 ] (4.4%)
41 - Casboult
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
42 - Tuohy
[ 23 ] (4.6%)
43 - White
[ 14 ] (2.8%)
44 - Carrazzo
[ 6 ] (1.2%)
46 - Ellard
[ 0 ] (0%)
47 - Russell
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Topic: Pick your best 22 players - Part 8 (Season over - wooden spooners) (Read 118764 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pick your best 22 players - NEW POLL! (pre-season)

Reply #210
I think White is that barometer player that never plays in a flag side.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #211
OMG White on Martin? Thank God you guys aren't in charge. No offence of course. The only thing of Martin's that White could match is maybe hardness at the ball but in terms of skill, speed and just plain ability White would get eclipsed by a player of Martin's ilk.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #212
OMG White on Martin? Thank God you guys aren't in charge. No offence of course. The only thing of Martin's that White could match is maybe hardness at the ball but in terms of skill, speed and just plain ability White would get eclipsed by a player of Martin's ilk.

Who else is there?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #213

We won't know for sure until it occurs.

It'd be a difficult matchup to get right, but I wonder if it's worth putting too much time into, as it means we have stifled the rest of their forwardline.   As good as Dusty is he won't kick too many in a game it might be one of those contests that you just let happen in order to win the rest.

Sure he got off the leash and kicked a nice goal against Tuohy last year.  From memory it was one of two.  Big deal.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #214

We won't know for sure until it occurs.

It'd be a difficult matchup to get right, but I wonder if it's worth putting too much time into, as it means we have stifled the rest of their forwardline.   As good as Dusty is he won't kick too many in a game it might be one of those contests that you just let happen in order to win the rest.

Sure he got off the leash and kicked a nice goal against Tuohy last year.  From memory it was one of two.  Big deal.

The one that sticks in my memory is a one on one contest where Martin ran rings around Tuohy and strolled in for an eventually far too easy goal.  Tuohy is far too easily out positioned by players like Martin.

Our other options would be Carrazzo and Gibbs.  Playing Gibbs on Martin would rob us of midfield class so the only real options I can see are White and Carrazzo, with White being the best option in my opinion.

I suspect Malthouse will play Tuohy on Martin though and it will cost us a couple of goals.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #215

I suppose you'd put Curnow on him PI2C?  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #216

I suppose you'd put Curnow on him PI2C?  :)
I would put Carrots on him to really get into his head and unsettle him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #217
SOJ seems out of favour at the minute. Wonder what the story is there. Early in the preseason they were talking him up, dropped off the radar since.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #218
Other option for Martin might be Jaksch  who Mick reckons can play on medium size players....Touhy isnt smart enough IMO..

Reply #219
SOJ seems out of favour at the minute. Wonder what the story is there. Early in the preseason they were talking him up, dropped off the radar since.

Does Rice's boy become SOD? :P

I haven't seen his preseason but I'd like to see Buckley starting.

Reply #220
Carlton website has a preview of the season by Nick Bowen of AFL.COM.AU

He seems to have gone the best 22 on rankings not balance, not sure that team is viable.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #222
No Tom Bell in that 22 either.

I think blokes like Bell, Armfield and Sheehan are borderline at best.

It's a pity about Armfield, I would have liked nothing better than to see an Armfield / Yarran chase down a bloke like Nakia Cockatoo last weekend! The glory hunters get all the kudos while Armfield gets nada, but those run from behind shepherds, tackles and chase downs are worth way more than a sprint through an open midfield.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #223
No Tom Bell in that 22 either.

I think blokes like Bell, Armfield and Sheehan are borderline at best.

It's a pity about Armfield, I would have liked nothing better than to see an Armfield / Yarran chase down a bloke like Nakia Cockatoo last weekend! The glory hunters get all the kudos while Armfield gets nada, but those run from behind shepherds, tackles and chase downs are worth way more than a sprint through an open midfield.

I think the club have high expectations of Bell and he has been one of our better preseasons players and after losing Robbo I reckon he is a monty to be playing round 1...

Reply #224
I think the club have high expectations of Bell and he has been one of our better preseasons players and after losing Robbo I reckon he is a monty to be playing round 1...

I think the club is desperate for some heavy hitters who can also play a bit, but I'm yet to be convinced that Bell(187cm) is the answer.

I'd think our slower midfielder, who works well inside stoppages, has some smarts and some agility as well as the ability to hurt teams resting forward will be Gibbs(188cm), Cripps(190cm), Thomas(185cm) or Menzel(186cm).

At the other end of the spectrum, the tall ultra-mobile fast and deep running link/swing men, Jaksch(195cm), White(190cm) and Everitt(194cm) have him covered in height and speed alone.

In another season or so, if Bell doesn't learn a few more tricks, blokes like Sheehan(188cm) and Burn(187cm) might got right past Bell!

So where does Bell fit in, what are his tricks, what sets him apart or gives him an edge?

No doubt you need some mongrel, but you need more than mongrel at AFL level.

PS: I haven't seen it but I hear he was lucky not to be cited from the weekend, can you elaborate?
The Force Awakens!