Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 Rd 4: Northern Blues vs. Werribee (Read 14995 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2019 Rd 4: Northern Blues vs. Werribee

Reply #45
Thanks TC and others - appreciate all the comments from people who watch the game live.

Reply #46
Sounds so promising...lol.

Actually Schumacher I like alot last year. Very nearly got into the AFL side on his form. Haven't seen enough this year to tell how he's been going though.

Suppose in Kerr's case if the side is playing $hit th key forward is one of the last to be doing any good.

Jim, Just reported as I saw it .....agree on Kerr ..he didnt get any supply and what he did get was just woeful delivery, Palmer in the same boat.
Schumacher is very light and plays in a Jasper Pittard (ex Port, now North) way, doesnt really defend that well but is that rebounder/kicker
who you look to carry and distribute the ball. When you play like you have to hit all your targets and get plenty of ball but he doesnt do either
that well and missed easy targets today just like Pittard did last night.

Reply #47
Yep.....

Schumacher......ordinary defender and his kicking was poor....wont make it
Goddard.....wont make it, too slow and some of his kicking is poor
Polson...started off ok but faded to black in a hurry.
Williamson...had a few goals kicked on him and lost interest but he does kick the ball well and when it came his way was one of the few
who knew what they were doing with the ball.
Fisher....kicked one good goal but the Werribee mids were all over the NB's and he had no impact.
Macreadie, didnt see much of him and probably needs the run but looks a long way off senior footy.
Ben Silvagni....did nothing down back and looked like he was sponsored by chemist warehouse and didnt want to mess up his hair but was a bit better down forward in the last quarter.....looks lazy.
Kennedy...had a go but had trouble with the opposing mids who were much quicker and equally hard at the ball, wont be playing seniors next week based on today.
Lobbe/Philips, won the hitouts but did nothing around the ground or up forward..
Stocker....looked ok and like Williamson looked like he knew what to do with the ball, maybe needs a yard of pace at senior level as he did caught a couple of times.
Lang...delist.....did nothing.
Fas....looks like its an effort to play  and he should retire.
Kerr...one goal but didnt get near it all day, had the ex Nth listed player Neilson on him and couldnt move him in the contest.
Palmer...two goals but no real impact on the game.
ORourke...dud Hawk reject...
Finbar.....should be back in the TAC comp, looks like a schoolkid out there and his drafting remains a mystery....

Found myself nodding the whole time as I read your sharp analysis.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #48
Found myself nodding the whole time as I read your sharp analysis.

I nodded off  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
Went full of expectation, left at half time because there is nothing worse than watching a team that is playing crap to start off with and then just becomes undisciplined and frustrated due to some exceptionally ordinary umpiring.

Williamson set the afternoon off by giving away a double goal due to undisciplined actions and it went downhill from there. Hard to assess Stocker as he had no support or structure around him. However he just does things that make you think that, in better company, he could do the job....a bit like Williamson when he was given his first chance. Young Finbar and Ben Silvagni are both victims of no development teams and are there purely for experience. Fasolo and Lang are not going to make it but Kennedy, with less attention in the main team, will be ok.

(All based on a full viewing at Vic Park and half a game today)

I feel for you, TC. Mrs Baggers and I intended to go (5 hour round trip for us) and decided this morning not to as she wasn't feeling so well.

The umpiring in the first half, first qtr in particular, was worthy of an official complaint by the club... though we didn't help our cause with such undisciplined behaviour.

Reply #50
I nodded off  ;)

That's what happens when you drink Horlicks too early in the day. But maybe 7pm is your bedtime?  ;D ;D ;)

Reply #51
Today was a bit of a reality check for the younger members of the squad. The Werribee pressure was outstanding and they had more than a few who looked like they would slot into an AFL list pretty easily. Man bun no. 11 in particular did a lot of damage.

Having said that - If I could sign the Northern Blues up to play against Werribee every week i would. They need to learn how to compete against mature opponents.

Kennedy isn't strong enough. He'll never be quick and that's fine. Priddis, Mitchell, Lewis, J Kennedy, etc. none of them were ever quick - but they were strong enough to push opponents off the ball and get their arms free under tackle. Kennedy isn't anywhere near strong enough to play his role effectively.

Polson showed quality in terms of mobility but his finishing is sub par for now.

The big positive was how well Willo ran out the game. He was still putting in gut busting runs on the switch side deep in the last quarter. He is a natural endurance beast for sure.

Stocker looked good. A few rough edges to his game but that's fine - at least he gets to develop off Broadway in the 2s. Unlike most of our high draft picks.

Ben Silvagni didn't set the world on fire but is still young and Finbar looked like he needs a few preseasons.

Reply #52
Today was a bit of a reality check for the younger members of the squad. The Werribee pressure was outstanding and they had more than a few who looked like they would slot into an AFL list pretty easily. Man bun no. 11 in particular did a lot of damage.

Having said that - If I could sign the Northern Blues up to play against Werribee every week i would. They need to learn how to compete against mature opponents.

Kennedy isn't strong enough. He'll never be quick and that's fine. Priddis, Mitchell, Lewis, J Kennedy, etc. none of them were ever quick - but they were strong enough to push opponents off the ball and get their arms free under tackle. Kennedy isn't anywhere near strong enough to play his role effectively.

Polson showed quality in terms of mobility but his finishing is sub par for now.

The big positive was how well Willo ran out the game. He was still putting in gut busting runs on the switch side deep in the last quarter. He is a natural endurance beast for sure.

Stocker looked good. A few rough edges to his game but that's fine - at least he gets to develop off Broadway in the 2s. Unlike most of our high draft picks.

Ben Silvagni didn't set the world on fire but is still young and Finbar looked like he needs a few preseasons.

No 11 is Matt Hanson...midfielder who will come under consideration by a few clubs in the mid season draft, not pretty but effective. Hanson had 6 Liston votes vs the NB's
last season so Fraser didnt do his homework very well in terms of stopping him this game.
Agree that Williamson and Stocker are the two who showed the most, Kennedy still doesnt look match fit, attacks the footy ok but isnt overly mobile for a mid and looks like he needs a season or two with Jack Russell to get some wheels.

Reply #53
As soon as I heard we got fasolo, I said straight away he was sitting on the scrap heap and will likely be a wasted spot on the list and I’m not wrong. Sick of the club thinking they can turn these sorts of players around. Give it up FFS.

He was poor again today at reserve level.....will be delisted at seasons end as he has no chance of impacting at senior level.

Aside from 3 or 4 players our success in getting in established players during this rebuild has been awful.

Thank god we got so many earlier round draft picks.

Reply #54
As soon as I heard we got fasolo, I said straight away he was sitting on the scrap heap and will likely be a wasted spot on the list and I’m not wrong. Sick of the club thinking they can turn these sorts of players around. Give it up FFS.

He was poor again today at reserve level.....will be delisted at seasons end as he has no chance of impacting at senior level.

Aside from 3 or 4 players our success in getting in established players during this rebuild has been awful.

Thank god we got so many earlier round draft picks.

I didn't see it at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight I wonder whether the Fazzy boys and Langs of this world were more or less making up the numbers cheaply while we loaded up on high draft picks. Watching Port and North last night I was  struck by how their discards or recruits from other clubs seem B grade at best. Polec, Pittard etc., seem ok, but don't add all that much quality. Shiel would have been a nice get - I think the club was genuinely interested, but I'm glad SOS stood firm and didn't sell the farm to land him.

I wonder whether there was ever any hope from the club that these guys would make it as regular best 22 players, and if the club is saving its pennies for some real top class talent this trade period or next. Just pure conjecture on my part.

Reply #55
I didn't see it at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight I wonder whether the Fazzy boys and Langs of this world were more or less making up the numbers cheaply while we loaded up on high draft picks. Watching Port and North last night I was  struck by how their discards or recruits from other clubs seem B grade at best. Polec, Pittard etc., seem ok, but don't add all that much quality. Shiel would have been a nice get - I think the club was genuinely interested, but I'm glad SOS stood firm and didn't sell the farm to land him.

I wonder whether there was ever any hope from the club that these guys would make it as regular best 22 players, and if the club is saving its pennies for some real top class talent this trade period or next. Just pure conjecture on my part.

Shiel is a bit of a show pony, looks good but not sure how effective he really is and agree he isnt worth the farm...I think the real GWS gold is in Coniglio or Kelly.
I think Fasalo was recruited to help us kick goals especially with Wright gone, Lang was more the mature body to guide us through 3-4 years of rebuilding while Dow, Walsh etc developed...
problem being Langs own body lets him down and a lot of our kids are better footballers already.
Dont see a future for either Fas or Lang...

Reply #56
Shiel is a bit of a show pony, looks good but not sure how effective he really is and agree he isnt worth the farm...I think the real GWS gold is in Coniglio or Kelly.
I think Fasalo was recruited to help us kick goals especially with Wright gone, Lang was more the mature body to guide us through 3-4 years of rebuilding while Dow, Walsh etc developed...
problem being Langs own body lets him down and a lot of our kids are better footballers already.
Dont see a future for either Fas or Lang...

My personal fave at GWS is Callan Ward.

I was never keen on Fazzy boy, but I still have hopes for Lang, although they are fading fast.

Reply #57
Sounds like the Carlton we're trying to shake off????
I hope this isn't one of those weeks where our 1's emulate our 2's or we're in for a painful weekend.

So far recruiting from other AFL clubs hasn't served us so well. Giants aside.

Thanks for the game summaries folks.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #58
From the point of view of our young, developing list, it's a very good thing that blokes like Fazzy and Lang are surplus to requirements (or appear to be at this point), and that their absence doesn't affect our ability to win. But it's still early days, so it's hard to call at the moment. Hopefully they will come good and make a contribution as the season progresses. We need all the contributors we can get.

Reply #59
Lang looks putrid. He will need a lot more time in the 2s to build up some confidence cos he looks shot right now. His pace and long goals could be a massive win for us but the way he's playing - he's about as far away from 1s as you can get.