Skip to main content
Topic: What's wrong with Lachie? (Read 19280 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's wrong with Lachie?

Reply #15
A few weeks as the main tall forward (until Waite returned) against teams that always play a loose man in defence - he has been consistently outnumbered.

This week, even with Waite back, I noticed that Hendo consistently took his opponent to man up on the loose player so he is also sacrificing himself to create space for Menzel and others.

White, Rowe and Jamo are working well together in defence so, unless they want to swap him with Rowe, he is probably better suited where he is.

Reply #16
This week, even with Waite back, I noticed that Hendo consistently took his opponent to man up on the loose player so he is also sacrificing himself to create space for Menzel and others.

Menzel can earn his own ball. Lachie needs to present and challenge opposition defence. We need him to be potent in attack and not just a decoy.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #17

Menzel can earn his own ball. Lachie needs to present and challenge opposition defence. We need him to be potent in attack and not just a decoy.

If it was in fact a team directive, then full respect for the sacrifice
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #18

Important from a supporter perspective that it is acknowledged.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #19
Mick said in his weekly video that Murph sacrificed his game in the second half so I'm not surprised if Lachie had the same instructions.

Reply #20
Every week?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #22
I'm just wondering how Murphy sacrificed his game though what did Mick say? Surely a nil all with Kerridge in the second half is a win for the Crows not us?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23
I think Murphy sacrificing his game helps leave blokes like Menzel and Yarran free to roam more.

I think there were some significant firsts in this game, some plans were implemented that I haven't seen before as being deliberate.

For example a lot of supporters bag Rowe, who was screwed by the umpires by the way, that bloke worked from FB to FF the whole game. If you don't believe me take a look at the Yarran running goal, see who shepherds the ball across the line, moments earlier he was working on the HB line!

I suspect one of the reasons Hendo is struggling because he is no longer the sole focus, he has to share the space with Casboult, Rowe and others. This sort of fits with MMs previous mantra that players must be flexible.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
But when they do kick the ball to him he doesn't look like taking the mark full stop, hard hands and not too much intent. Zero recovery from marking contests.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #25
Hasn't come on as a forward as I hoped and looks uncomfortable there right now. Unfortunately for Lachie he is missing the two key ingredients that make a key forward in my opinion.

1. Presence (he is a great clubman and all but playing forward requires a bit of ego and an ability to demand the ball etc...)
2. Athleticism (he can't get seperation on leads, hasn't got Waite's leap and isn't big enough to just use his size ala Brown or Hawkins)

He looks a much more natural defender but we need to make sure we are getting contests up forward and Rowe is holding his own down back, so he is a bit in no mans land right now. He just needs to find a way to work his way into games more somehow.

Reply #26
Just totally out of form.

No second effort, can't take a mark to save himself. Would be dropped if we had a replacement.

I would put him down back and put Walker up forward. Hendo will actually have to put in down back.

Reply #27
Played out of form by all the moving back and forward........best at CHB and left there and only moved forward for shcck value.

Reply #28
Played out of form by all the moving back and forward........best at CHB and left there and only moved forward for shcck value.

Yep I agree, straight line running suits him and you can set yourself up to make contests ahead of you in the back line much easier than when you are trying to win the ball in the forward line.

Whatever has happened, in fitness, mind or health, we have killed Hendo's confidence.

In the last decade or so we have done this better than any!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29

Regardless on whether it is a team directive or not, it is smart play and should be commended.

Gives us a spare number when if he didn't means we were one short.