Skip to main content
Topic: What's wrong with Lachie? (Read 19274 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's wrong with Lachie?

Reply #30
One our most consistent players in 2013. A legitimate swingman who could influence a game at both ends. Looked to be coming into his prime.

His last 4-5 weeks have been worse than poor. He is only getting a handful of touches and having Zero influences on games.

So what's wrong with Lachie, injury?, form?, or just played out of position?
I think that Hendo's issue this year is that he barely had a preseason. When he had a similar issue a couple of years back, it took more than half a season to get back to form, and a positional move to HB.
I feel loath to move him back at the moment. Our defence is actually working quite well at the moment: Rowe and White are in career best form and really doing a good job. I really don't want to move either one unless something very different happens down there.
We really NEED Hendo in the forward line but maybe giving him some time in the VFL to get some back would be appropriate. Our total lack of key forwards is something we can't do anything about at the moment. But we REALLY need a top class forward.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #31
I'm just wondering how Murphy sacrificed his game though what did Mick say? Surely a nil all with Kerridge in the second half is a win for the Crows not us?

He said Murph was instructed to block a certain part of the space in a stoppage in the second half . Not really sure what that means - it's surprising that one of our most damaging mids would be asked to guard space.

Reply #32
I'm just wondering how Murphy sacrificed his game though what did Mick say? Surely a nil all with Kerridge in the second half is a win for the Crows not us?

He said Murph was instructed to block a certain part of the space in a stoppage in the second half . Not really sure what that means - it's surprising that one of our most damaging mids would be asked to guard space.
It's a radical move that would surprise a lot of teams, not to mention it would clog an area that Dangerfield or Sloane would work in. 

Not to mention it would leave someone else like Simpson in the position to do the damaging work.   Clever if true.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
Hasn't come on as a forward as I hoped and looks uncomfortable there right now. Unfortunately for Lachie he is missing the two key ingredients that make a key forward in my opinion.

1. Presence (he is a great clubman and all but playing forward requires a bit of ego and an ability to demand the ball etc...)
2. Athleticism (he can't get seperation on leads, hasn't got Waite's leap and isn't big enough to just use his size ala Brown or Hawkins)

He looks a much more natural defender but we need to make sure we are getting contests up forward and Rowe is holding his own down back, so he is a bit in no mans land right now. He just needs to find a way to work his way into games more somehow.

I think  I agree with your main sentiment, he seems much more comfortable and consistent as a defender. He has athleticism and definitely has awareness ie is a natural footballer, but it's more of an awareness based on when and  where to position himself to negate  and launch , rather than a pure physical  or speed advantage that you need in a forward.  Don't mind him going forward, occasionally and even in consecutive games, but I reckon his best position is defense. Only problem is Rowe is doing a fine job there atm, and we desperately need a forward. Just highlights our desperate need for a natural KPF.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #34
He worked his guts out on the weekend. I doubt he's carrying an injury but he isn't fully fit. He wouldn't be cramping if he was fit.

I don't believe he lacks pace either. The separation forwards get on the lead is from using their upper body strength to push off their man, receiving blocks from teammates and then having blokes kick it to their advantage so they don't have to break stride.

I would persist with him up forward.

Reply #35
He worked his guts out on the weekend. I doubt he's carrying an injury but he isn't fully fit. He wouldn't be cramping if he was fit.

I don't believe he lacks pace either. The separation forwards get on the lead is from using their upper body strength to push off their man, receiving blocks from teammates and then having blokes kick it to their advantage so they don't have to break stride.

I would persist with him up forward.

I think we have no choice this year but to persist. It's probably also fair to say that level of fitness required for KPF is higher than KPD? In which case next preseason is vital if he is going to permanently hold down the role.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #36
Hendo cramped up in the last quarter and its round 10! Clearly, he is suffering from a lack of preseason conditioning. That's all.

Zach presented on his shoulder yet he still went back and butchered it.

Betts was awake to it. He was lurking 2-3 metres behind Touhey.

Reply #37
Hendo cramped up in the last quarter and its round 10! Clearly, he is suffering from a lack of preseason conditioning. That's all.

You can still do a give and go as Betts can only tackle one, teams do it all the time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38

You can still do a give and go as Betts can only tackle one, teams do it all the time.

There was a guy on the mark so it wasn't really a two on one.

. Betts took a little while to get to 2E, I think the play was there if he was quick enough.

Reply #39

Go down with a cramp requiring the trainers, and get Tuohy to take the set shot instead is what Hendo should have done.

Oh well, you live you learn.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
Exactly what the commentators said, why wouldn't you claim cramp (which was obviously happening anyway) and let someone else take the kick.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #41
Hasn't come on as a forward as I hoped and looks uncomfortable there right now. Unfortunately for Lachie he is missing the two key ingredients that make a key forward in my opinion.

1. Presence (he is a great clubman and all but playing forward requires a bit of ego and an ability to demand the ball etc...)
2. Athleticism (he can't get seperation on leads, hasn't got Waite's leap and isn't big enough to just use his size ala Brown or Hawkins)

He looks a much more natural defender but we need to make sure we are getting contests up forward and Rowe is holding his own down back, so he is a bit in no mans land right now. He just needs to find a way to work his way into games more somehow.

I think  I agree with your main sentiment, he seems much more comfortable and consistent as a defender. He has athleticism and definitely has awareness ie is a natural footballer, but it's more of an awareness based on when and  where to position himself to negate  and launch , rather than a pure physical  or speed advantage that you need in a forward.  Don't mind him going forward, occasionally and even in consecutive games, but I reckon his best position is defense. Only problem is Rowe is doing a fine job there atm, and we desperately need a forward. Just highlights our desperate need for a natural KPF.

Agree, his attributes are more suited to being a backman. I also feel as others have stated that he is missing some fitness and hopefully he works his way into some form and fitness as well.

Reply #42
Exactly what the commentators said, why wouldn't you claim cramp (which was obviously happening anyway) and let someone else take the kick.

The umpire was telling him to hurry up or he'll call play on. It was right in front of me.

Reply #43

The umpire was telling him to hurry up or he'll call play on. It was right in front of me.

http://youtu.be/Yn1xwu5h10Q

;D

Reply #44

http://youtu.be/Yn1xwu5h10Q

;D

How do you find this stuff ;D
2024... Moir of the same to come