Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 34521 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
OUT: C Curnow, Casboult, Armfield
In: Harry Mackay, any young mid, seriously anyone one could do the same or better then armfield, Jaksch

Agree with those outs.
I am an armfield fan, but 2 weeks in a row...

I thought Smeds had a shocker too,  but he was good last week.
I thought McCreadie went  well today.
Docherty wasnt up to his usual standard.
Pickett looks a good pick up. Fast!
Our backline is frustrating... Individually they seem to do a really good job, but we seem really leaky. I think the  midfield need to take  some of the flak for that with a lack of pressure on the opposition sending the ball forward. It was telling that our defensive pressure was the reason we got back into the game, and it was the lack thereof that took it away from us.

Gibbs was really off today. Murphy had patches of good play, then multiple brain fades.
Cripps was back on his game today. Not back to his best, but a big improvement on last week.
Curnow kept Lewis quiet, but had a couple of errors that hurt.
I  thought Weitering was quiet today. He also seemed a little slower than usual, maybe that corky was still giving him grief.

Reply #16
One goal between Casboult, Charlie Curnow,, Silvagni and Weitering and it was always going to be tough but in fairness to them the last kick in was woeful all day.
Until our field kicking improves we won't trouble any good sides.
The back 6 looks too top heavy to me, no one at the fall of the ball all  day and either White or Macredie seem surplus to requirements.
I liked Smedts today, Cripps was much better, Murphy and Gibbs both gave it all they had and Docherty was very good.
It was better than last week, much better, sustained effort and they played for each other, but boy are our general skills shabby.

If you're a budding key forward you wouldn't be volunteering to wanting to play seniors right now...lol.

Reply #17
For all of the criticism I make, I did quite enjoy our effort as a whole today.
The fact we were well in the game so late was great. Our endeavour (from most of the team) was much better and a credit to the boys.

Reply #18
Loved the endeavour but gee we could've won that. Just better disposal and decision-making that would've been enough. We were in front, dominated the start of the last qtr but prompted rooted everything we touched giving Melbourne their chance.

Reply #19
While not many will give him credit thought Rowe was terrific today.

Beat 2 flogs in 2 consecutive weeks.

Reply #20
If you're a budding key forward you wouldn't be volunteering to wanting to play seniors right now...lol.

We sure make it tough for our forwards, even under little pressure we manage to kick it over their head or to the wrong side, or just don't see them at all and kick and hope.
Weitering actually made good position three or four times today and we missed him each time.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #21

Agree....Hogan is a double flog....

Reply #22
I must have watched a different game.

Was impressed with the endeavor and heart today. Melbourne took till 20 mins into the last to put the game in the bag. Many on here predicted this mob will definitely play finals and made a good outfit look poor last week.

I know it's difficult to be positive when you have a loss but we must remember we had SOJ, C Curnow, Marchbank, SPS, mcCredie and Pickett all in today and curnow aside thought the rest were very serviceable. SOJ is the veteran of this list with 10games!!!

Hard to win with 6 players under 10 games.

Add in Weitering, plowman and cripps as more young players yet to notch 50 games and that's a very young team today.

While I'm disappointed with some of the costly errors from senior players and to lose yet again but I saw enough today to say we are tracking ahead of where I thought we would be.

I'm happy with the kids progress.

A bit of perspective needed folks.

Well said Shawny, I thought it was the older blokes that let us down with very costly errors. In particular Gibbs and doc.

Reply #23
Well said Shawny, I thought it was the older blokes that let us down with very costly errors. In particular Gibbs and doc.

Agree and Murphy was the worst IMO......

Reply #24

Yes, he's been good again. Just wish he'd back himself to mark more. When he punches he often tends to find the opposition. Still, reckon he's gone alright at CHB since he was put there a few years ago.

Reply #25
Wish the likes of Fisher was ready and Boekhorst and Buckley consistent. That'd be some line breaking speed.

Reply #26
Have no confidence in Levi anymore.
Setanta was a better forward option than Levi.

Reply #27
Wish the likes of Fisher was ready and Boekhorst and Buckley consistent. That'd be some line breaking speed.

I'm not confident that Boekhorst and Buckley will be on our list in 2018.
Tuohy has left a bigger hole than we thought that he might by the way.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #29
Think they will have to chuck Buckley in or even try Armfield back... even if they are purely negating their opponents, it would take a bit of the load off Simpson and Docherty.

We are leaving a little too much to Murphy/Cripps/Gibbs/Simpson/Docherty, and they all made some errors today. But we also need to continue to get games into kids. It is a fine line.

Can see a few selection changes this week, just to rebalance the side a bit and get in a couple of guys who can get their hands on the ball (Graham/Palmer/Kerridge).

Effort was great today, seriously thought they would beat us by 10 goals.