Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 34515 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #30
I must have watched a different game.

Was impressed with the endeavor and heart today. Melbourne took till 20 mins into the last to put the game in the bag. Many on here predicted this mob will definitely play finals and made a good outfit look poor last week.

I know it's difficult to be positive when you have a loss but we must remember we had SOJ, C Curnow, Marchbank, SPS, mcCredie and Pickett all in today and curnow aside thought the rest were very serviceable. SOJ is the veteran of this list with 10games!!!

Hard to win with 6 players under 10 games.

Add in Weitering, plowman and cripps as more young players yet to notch 50 games and that's a very young team today.

While I'm disappointed with some of the costly errors from senior players and to lose yet again but I saw enough today to say we are tracking ahead of where I thought we would be.

I'm happy with the kids progress.

A bit of perspective needed folks.

Been preaching that all pre-season.

Reckon all in all, we did ok. We ran out of legs late, but its to be expected with the kids we have.

A few blokes need a rest. Curnowfides needs to recharge his batteries a bit and boost the confidence.
I'd give Pickett and SPS at least another week to get better used to the speed of it, then i'd send them back to get a confidence boost as well.
Macreadie looks to be coping ok so far.

Long term view required

Reply #31
Macreadie and Marchbank looking the goods.

I agree SPS and Pickett can stay, but I reckon C.Curnow is on the rocks, he might get a pass due to SOJ getting the hip corky.

Not sure Daisy will come up next week, looks like a knee from the taping. Pity, he worked really hard, probably second only to Wright.

Sad to say, I reckon time has caught up with Simmo and Armfield.

We look like such a lightweight side compared to Melbourne and I wouldn't rate them as a big side. Even Cripps and Weitering didn't look that big.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32

Was impressed with the endeavor and heart today. Melbourne took till 20 mins into the last to put the game in the bag. Many on here predicted this mob will definitely play finals and made a good outfit look poor last week.

I know it's difficult to be positive when you have a loss but we must remember we had SOJ, C Curnow, Marchbank, SPS, mcCredie and Pickett all in today and curnow aside thought the rest were very serviceable. SOJ is the veteran of this list with 10games!!!

Add in Weitering, plowman and cripps as more young players yet to notch 50 games and that's a very young team today.

While I'm disappointed with some of the costly errors from senior players and to lose yet again but I saw enough today to say we are tracking ahead of where I thought we would be.

Agree 100%. We all know what Cripps, Docherty and Weiters will bring in the next 10 years, but I already see Marchbank, Plowman, Macreadie and SPS becoming elite players. SOJ and Charlie are still very young, but I've no doubt they will become stars.

Pickett and Smedts could be anything. Love Matty Wright.

We have big Harry making huge strides with the NB's, Byrne and Phillips to return and the potential of highly rated youngsters such as Fisher, Cunningham, Lebois, Kerr and Polson.

We are in the second year of a rebuild. Expect us to target quality midfielders this draft.

When we are ready to challenge I expect that of the established players who played today only Murphy will still be there. Kreuzer has an outside chance.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #33
Agree 100%. We all know what Cripps, Docherty and Weiters will bring in the next 10 years, but I already see Marchbank, Plowman, Macreadie and SPS becoming elite players. SOJ and Charlie are still very young, but I've no doubt they will become stars.

Pickett and Smedts could be anything. Love Matty Wright.

We have big Harry making huge strides with the NB's, Byrne and Phillips to return and the potential of highly rated youngsters such as Fisher, Cunningham, Lebois, Kerr and Polson.

We are in the second year of a rebuild. Expect us to target quality midfielders this draft.

When we are ready to challenge I expect that of the established players who played today only Murphy will still be there. Kreuzer has an outside chance.

After what I saw today at Arden Street I think you can add Galucci and probably Williamson to those hopefuls (Le Bois and Kerr didn't play).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #34
Weitering actually made good position three or four times today and we missed him each time.
That's what I love about him. He just knows how to play "smart". The 3 goals he got last week were sodas because he led to the front of the goal square. He should have got more last week as well but we just don't have the - dare I say it - Dustin Martin-type players who can hit a target from 50.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #35
Very lopsided slant on performances today. Murphy runs his guts out and gets battered and gets crucified for a few turnovers, yet Pickett does one or two good things and he did OK? Give me a break, the reason that Murph and Gibbs are turning the ball over is fatigue and the young kids playing with them don't know how to make space. I saw Simmo on the back flank searching for a kicking target and all Pickett had to do was run to the boundary and he could put the ball out in front, yet he stood in the centre square. Over a quarter of the team have not played 10 games yet, that is why we lost not Murphy, Gibbs and Curnow.

With that behind me, I thought we played well today. We looked like an AFL team. Ball was switched, targets were hit, a definite defensive structure that only broke down a few times. Tackles were laid and our players stood up for each other. Loved Weitering coming in after Lewis slugged Cripps, closely followed by Wright and Silvagni. That's what build team spirit, you walk a bit taller knowing that you have mates that have your back.

White and Dennis are both on borrowed time, we just need someone to stand up and take their place from the VFL. We don't have a small defender on the list, Cam Poulson this is how you get a game, you ask to go to a back pocket, learn the game, use pace shot down the small forwards that we have struggled with for too long.

An improvement this week blue boys and a piss weak start

Reply #36
Casboult was woeful...a lampost would be more useful...
Armfield...gone
Charlie Curnow...been drinking his own bathwater, needs some tough love in the twos...
Docherty....error ridden, lack of awareness at times mixed with some good stuff..
MacReadie reminds me of Darren Milburn.....going ok
Marchbank...good but with some turnovers by foot..
White...gone
Rowe did the job on Hogan but marking a footy to him is akin to catching a RPG...
Simpson ok...but last season..
Smedts...reliable to a point but needs to do more..
Pickett...like him but needs to do more when he is on..
SPS...learning the game and will be in and out of play
Weitering....learning about playing forward, not his fault delivery is so poor.
Wright.. very effective footballer
Plowman, good all day apart from one poor tackle attempt.
Murphy and Gibbs...ok at times and also turned the footy over badly especially Murphy,,
Kruezer...battled well vs the bigger Gawn.
Ed Curnow..beat Lewis but his disposal is so poor its a 50/50 call on his effectiveness overall IMO..
SOSOS...poor IMO, looked slow and is kicking like Casboult...still young so I shouldnt expect too much but he needs to work harder for his kicks..
Cripps...gun all day, played his best game for a while and easy BOG IMO...
Thomas...couple of good things but just went..
Spot on assessment that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
We really need a few blokes with some crap in them, we did well enough today to get the Dees worried enough to start sniping but seriously, Lewis should have been decked.  Off the ball, intentional, three weeks minimum if the MRP are half serious.

Still carry too much dead wood and passengers.  Too many can't tackle, are fumbly and use the ball very poorly. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #38

Agree Shawny, but the game was there for the taking. I felt one more goal would have broken their back. The senior players then let us down. But yes, there were signs of progress with the newer, younger blokes, the older blokes just did what they've always done.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #39
Very lopsided slant on performances today. Murphy runs his guts out and gets battered and gets crucified for a few turnovers, yet Pickett does one or two good things and he did OK? Give me a break, the reason that Murph and Gibbs are turning the ball over is fatigue and the young kids playing with them don't know how to make space. I saw Simmo on the back flank searching for a kicking target and all Pickett had to do was run to the boundary and he could put the ball out in front, yet he stood in the centre square. Over a quarter of the team have not played 10 games yet, that is why we lost not Murphy, Gibbs and Curnow.

With that behind me, I thought we played well today. We looked like an AFL team. Ball was switched, targets were hit, a definite defensive structure that only broke down a few times. Tackles were laid and our players stood up for each other. Loved Weitering coming in after Lewis slugged Cripps, closely followed by Wright and Silvagni. That's what build team spirit, you walk a bit taller knowing that you have mates that have your back.

White and Dennis are both on borrowed time, we just need someone to stand up and take their place from the VFL. We don't have a small defender on the list, Cam Poulson this is how you get a game, you ask to go to a back pocket, learn the game, use pace shot down the small forwards that we have struggled with for too long.

Fair post Raydan. It seemed to me in the 2nd half we tried to use the corridor more, which I liked.

Reply #40
Bpttom line is it was a major improvement on the Tigers game but still way too many cheap screw ups.

I'd be dropping 3 or 4 - C. Curnow, Armfield, White and Thomas.

Levi - well, he still offers a real target. I guess if McKay is promoted straight swap for Levi...

SOJ? could go too.

If Levi goes with Army, White and Thomas (we know Daisy will not get dropped) i guess Charlie and SOJ get a reprieve...

I
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41

X2

Predictions had us losing by 40 or so. Could have been a lot closer had we not started in sleepwalker mode again.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #42
The Good:

- a 19 year old kid getting stuck into Lewis after he decked Cripps
- Wright's goals. He hardly ever misses!
- Daisy's mark
- great signs from the youngsters mentioned by others

The Bad:

- Gibbs' turnover in the last. Sorry, fatigued or not, not good enough.

The Ugly:

- Hogan and Lewis
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #43
Been preaching that all pre-season.

Reckon all in all, we did ok. We ran out of legs late, but its to be expected with the kids we have.

A few blokes need a rest. Curnowfides needs to recharge his batteries a bit and boost the confidence.
I'd give Pickett and SPS at least another week to get better used to the speed of it, then i'd send them back to get a confidence boost as well.
Macreadie looks to be coping ok so far.

Long term view required
Macreadie, Plow and Marchy will be very good for a very long time me thinks. Add Weiters to that trio and we have a back line that will stand up week in week out. I understand BB trying to play him fwd but he is robbing Peter to pay Paul IMO. Our midfield toils away but there is no depth. Our fwd line (Wright aside) is virtually non existent. SOS should have nailed a couple but his kicking was off.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #44

Murphys turnovers were costly and due to skill errors IMO....agree dhe ran hard and did some good things but those errors were bad as they were near goal...Kerridge gets dropped for his foot skills yet Ed Curnow survives because he is seen as a tagger only, and excused for lack of skill....the good clubs have their taggers working both ways, his position needs looking at IMO if he cant get more ball and use it more effectively..
Gibbs was ok without being great but apart from Cripps I didnt think there was any other dominant mid on the ground anyway..