Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 18: Post Game Partying: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 25051 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 18: Post Game Partying: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #30
Interesting to hear Charlie Curnow’s post game comments about Bolts, “He’s a really good coach!”

Of course, what would Charlie know and he was obviously parroting the party line despite the euphoria of a win on the road and against the odds  :)

The standout moment for me was when Harry gathered the ball on the wing, burnt off his opponent and dribbled a goal ... after the siren.  He is going to be matchwinner, if we can nurture his development and foster good understanding between him and Charlie.

I haven’t really been convinced about Lamb but I think that giving him a role in defence may have prolonged his career.  He’s not a natural defender but he is growing into the role.

Byrne was good, and I suspect that I underrated his importance to the team.  Hopefully he can stay on the park.

I know that some folk aren’t convinced about Polson but I reckon he is a cracker.  He may need to refine his craft but his attack on the footy and/or an opponent is great.

Our young blokes - Samo, Weitering, Marchbank, Dow, O’Brien, Pickett, McKay and Silvagni - did well and Lang, Kennedy and Lobbe had good games.  Perhaps SOS knows more about developing a list than his critics  :-\

Critics of Bolton’s coaching may like to concede that he did a reasonable job tonight  :)

Some decent bait thrown out there DJ..I'll have a nibble.. ;)
Thought the conditions helped us tonight forcing a man on man game and removing Boltons zone from the equation.....
Play of the night was Weitering attack on the ball with May crashing through......thats the old Weitering back in town who impressed in his first season, worth more than 30 possies that piece of play, as I said earlier thats what wins big games and tells the opposition you mean business...well done JW.
re: Polson.....not convinced and only had a few possies tonight but his team mates seem to like him so I'll refrain from critiquing his game on such a good winning evening..
SPS...probably his best game in terms of impact and ball use....
Agree on Harry..not big numbers but looks the goods and has good skills for a big bloke, begs the question why he wasnt played earlier.....
Marchbank.....one of his best games IMO, low on errors and was solid and reliable.....
Byrne..yep, showed same dash and we looked better with him down back than we have with Mullett, Shaw, OShea down there...
Lobbe....been good IMO....Witts murdered us in the hitouts with 60 but then you look at Lobbe and he had 46?......thats a far nights work and he has that extra bulk that MK and Philips dont seem to have and he really suits our midfield IMO..
Dow was good and had some Judd like moments, like mids who kick goals and he has that burst of pace we lack....
Kennedy...workmanlike....
Pickett..unsighted
Lamb....ok but not really a fan...
Obrien..ok early but faded...
Jack...good team-man is Jack..not many would have seen but he laid a few blocks for Cripps on Lonergan and I paid more attention to that than his possies....handy game.
Lang...used the ball well and seemed to have more time than some of the other players...

I would suggest though that apart from the evil Steven May that GC are one of the softest, less physically intimidating teams going around and have a lot of nice kids who play gentle football in the sun and we wont be getting that type of slack pressure from most of the other teams....but a win is a win and you can only beat the opposition on the ground and it was a good team effort tonight...but I will need a greater sample of work before I anoint BB and SOS as saviour's and that our rebuild is on track...

Reply #31
Did beat the Swans the previous week, probably glad he didnt move May forward until the end of the game....else we might not have many fit players for next week the way he kept cleaning our blokes up.
GC without Lynch look very ordinary, they lack real stars and it was clear that Cripps was a unstoppable force around the ball even though Witts had 60 hitouts...going to be a long few years for the GC unless they get some academy stars coming through and the AFL helping them...

Think Stewy Dew showed his lack of exercise and decent diet.......had a bit of trouble getting out of the coaches box did the big fella and needs a decent preseason on the training track....

I’d like to see how many of Witts’ hitouts were to advantage.  Lobbe did pretty well to get 46 hitouts and I reckon Rowe did a good job when he gave Lobbe a chop out.

Dew is one of those people who finds it difficult to maintain a whippet-like physique, even when he was playing in premiership teams.  It must be hard to demand discipline from your playing group when you can’t set an example yourself.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
I’d like to see how many of Witts’ hitouts were to advantage.  Lobbe did pretty well to get 46 hitouts and I reckon Rowe did a good job when he gave Lobbe a chop out.

Dew is one of those people who finds it difficult to maintain a whippet-like physique, even when he was p,laying in premiership teams.  It must be hard to demand discipline from your playing group when you can’t set an example yourself.

Yep remember when Clarko recruited him to the Hawks....very unfit and only good for 20 mins of a game but as that GF showed he only needed 20 mins to change the game.......agree not a great look for the playing group and needs some work with the fitness staff...
Agree on Lobbe...gave him a vote....just think his big frame suits our smaller bodied mids and he seems to fill space and make life awkward for his opponents....

Reply #33
Cripps should be right, looked a legit tackle,  but Chuck might score a hefty fine for the high arm.  May the meathead hit Ed a long time after he disposed of it,  has to go for it,  although he has been a protected species this year.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
Great game from Samo, H, Lang, Byrne (early on in particular), Weiters, Marchy, CC, and Paddy Wow. Patches from LOB and i like Polson's attack. Byrne gave us the speed and accuracy we've lacked IMO. Our backline badly needs that quick run and carry out of defense. Come to think of it - that's a heap of young talent right there.

The usual top shelf performance from Crippa. Well supported by Murphy and grunt from Kennedy. Simmo and Ed worked hard as usual. Hope evil May gets time off for his hits (H, Ed etc).

Lobbe is the pleasant surprise for mine. Competes strongly in the ruck and has a quick response to 2nd efforts. Rowe did a great negating job on 2m after q1, when he got off the lead.

In all a solid 3/4 performance after a slow start. Fantastic that the boys get to celebrate and recover together at the GC. Good bonding opportunity whilst the endorphins are flowing  ;)

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #35
Wished I'd seen it ... does make you wonder whether the Cripps extension influenced the group to lift

Reply #36
How many times, especially after half time, did we turn the ball over or miss targets??  Makes a $@!tload of difference!

Reply #37
re: Polson.....not convinced and only had a few possies tonight but his team mates seem to like him so I'll refrain from critiquing his game on such a good winning evening..

One of the things that struck me as the team came off the field was the attention Polson was getting from his team-mates.
All smiles, congratulatory and positive.
Now it may just have been because he was about to go into the middle of a very damp huddle for the club song...but I suspect he is popular with the playing group and that may be down to his effort and attack on the ball.
He's a "nearly" player. The things he tries just don't always come off at present. They may never...but give it 12 months and we might see a much better player.
The club has renewed him so they obviously see something there.

Gold Coast...I don't recall seeing a team so poor with their ball handling. Slippery conditions or our pressure it was terrible.

Reply #38
Play of the night was Weitering attack on the ball with May crashing through......thats the old Weitering back in town who impressed in his first season, worth more than 30 possies that piece of play, as I said earlier thats what wins big games and tells the opposition you mean business...well done JW. Indeed, hope the lad's ok but that sort of selfless act sets a tone and sends a message.....well done Jacob
re: Polson.....not convinced and only had a few possies tonight but his team mates seem to like him so I'll refrain from critiquing his game on such a good winning evening..still young, but a very poor man's Murphy in my book....happy to be provn wrong
SPS...probably his best game in terms of impact and ball use.... looked a lot more interested last night....silky skills, still think he'll be an elite players if he wants it bad enough
Agree on Harry..not big numbers but looks the goods and has good skills for a big bloke, begs the question why he wasnt played earlier..... he must have had attitude issues cos the kid can surely play....
Marchbank.....one of his best games IMO, low on errors and was solid and reliable.....yes, but needs to hang onto the marks and not fly against 2 team mates...
Byrne..yep, showed same dash and we looked better with him down back than we have with Mullett, Shaw, OShea down there...confirmed he can and should be a valuable member of our best 22, great return to senior footy
Lobbe....been good IMO....Witts murdered us in the hitouts with 60 but then you look at Lobbe and he had 46?......thats a far nights work and he has that extra bulk that MK and Philips dont seem to have and he really suits our midfield IMO..yes, negated Witts which is something Kreuz has repeatedly failed to do
Dow was good and had some Judd like moments, like mids who kick goals and he has that burst of pace we lack....promising signs but need more across he 4 quarters
Kennedy...workmanlike....better than workmanlike, was covering the ground much better and knows how to let an opponent know he's there....
Pickett..unsighted needs to be put on the ball more - get him involved
Lamb....ok but not really a fan...prefer him forward but a pretty smarty footballer
Obrien..ok early but faded...remain to be convinced why we took him at 10
Jack...good team-man is Jack..not many would have seen but he laid a few blocks for Cripps on Lonergan and I paid more attention to that than his possies....handy game.yep, solid hit out for Jack....
Lang...used the ball well and seemed to have more time than some of the other players...showed he's a classy player....need a more consistent output but like many a very interrupted season...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-rediscover-that-winning-feeling-at-last-20180728-p4zu7v.html

There was a gif that did the rounds on Twitter during the week. It depicted Homer Simpson fantasising he was a quarterback in an American football team, spearing a pass from defence, then running all the way to the other end of the field to mark his own ball and score the touchdown.

The gif was captioned, ‘‘Patrick Cripps’’, and it wasn’t far wrong. Homer Simpson couldn’t dominate games of football of any code like Cripps does in his dreams. Hopefully the Blues don’t kill Cripps, as David Parkin said he feared they would a few weeks ago, and he doesn’t kill himself from the exertion of carrying this team.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #40
Lobbe was highly rated in his early days and if he stays fit could become very valuable for us and a very handy pieceof recruiting!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
Feels good waking up after a win.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
Yep remember when Clarko recruited him to the Hawks....very unfit and only good for 20 mins of a game but as that GF showed he only needed 20 mins to change the game.......agree not a great look for the playing group and needs some work with the fitness staff...
Agree on Lobbe...gave him a vote....just think his big frame suits our smaller bodied mids and he seems to fill space and make life awkward for his opponents....
Unfit or fat, that left foot of his was a weapon and probably the best I have ever seen. Could hit a bloke on the chest from 50m with the ball travelling no more than 5m off the ground. Dead set arrows they were. In any case, Da dada dadaaaaa, da dada dadaaaaaa!!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43
P.S. I am at the point now were I would be disappointed if Crippa doesnt win the Brownlow. What a player.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #44

(man on man comments/zone ditched)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17