Skip to main content
Topic: Kick Ranking - Champion Data (Read 787 times) previous topic - next topic

Kick Ranking - Champion Data

Read an article about champion data's kick ranking. Simplistically its the difference between expected hits and actual. Carlton boasts the most quality kickers in the game right now with 6 in the top 50.
Our higher ranked is Zac Fisher
Our Lowest ranked is Captain Cripps.
Quirky but interesting. Poor Kicking has always been a bug bear of mine, perhaps we are on the road to fixing it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: Kick Ranking - Champion Data

Reply #1
Read an article about champion data's kick ranking. Simplistically its the difference between expected hits and actual. Carlton boasts the most quality kickers in the game right now with 6 in the top 50.
Quirky but interesting. Poor Kicking has always been a bug bear of mine, perhaps we are on the road to fixing it.
We have been linked with Karl Amon and Lachie Sholl who are both excellent kicks so it seems good kicking mids/wingers are a priority.

Reply #2
In fairness to Cripps he is greatly improved this season, both in field and goal kicking, I suspect that stat is heavily biased by where people play on the ground so the article would have to be very circumspect about how it does it's analysis.

Also, there is a bit of rubber in that definition of the stat, regarding the term "expected", you wouldn't trust Michael Christian to collect it there is just too much scope to influence the result!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
In fairness to Cripps he is greatly improved this season, both in field and goal kicking, I suspect that stat is heavily biased by where people play on the ground so the article would have to be very circumspect about how it does it's analysis.

Also, there is a bit of rubber in that definition of the stat, regarding the term "expected", you wouldn't trust Michael Christian to collect it there is just too much scope to influence the result!
The ranking takes into account degree of difficulty.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #4
The ranking takes into account degree of difficulty.
No doubt, but who decides what is difficult and what is easy, and do you agree with them?

It's a bit arbitrary, like the contested possession / marking definitions Champion Data use that do not even require physical contact just proximity is good enough, and proximity is much further away than most fans would think, for example it is not necessarily within arms reach.

Also when does a disposal become "a hit", for example what do the same stats say about Dangerfield?

I bet the definition of "expected success" or "degree of difficulty" isn't what Joe Average thinks it would be, I apologise for my cynicism but it comes from a long history of disappointing revelations about how AFL stats are collected and defined!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
No doubt, but who decides what is difficult and what is easy, and do you agree with them?

It's a bit arbitrary, like the contested possession / marking definitions Champion Data use that do not even require physical contact just proximity is good enough, and proximity is much further away than most fans would think, for example it is not necessarily within arms reach.

Also when does a disposal become "a hit", for example what do the same stats say about Dangerfield?

I bet the definition of "expected success" or "degree of difficulty" isn't what Joe Average thinks it would be, I apologise for my cynicism but it comes from a long history of disappointing revelations about how AFL stats are collected and defined!
I would expect Champion Data to know more than me about setting the criteria and that the stat is valid. Not for me to question.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #6
I would expect Champion Data to know more than me about setting the criteria and that the stat is valid. Not for me to question.
You should feel free to question it, because the Champion Data / AFL version of football is not necessarily the version we like to watch!

I bet our version of what is contested, efficient or effective is far closer to footy than the CD or AFL version. ;)

The modern version says a Dangerfield clearance, win the footy inside and kick it 60m forward and 50m high to nobody, is as effective as Diesel winning the inside footy breaking free and hitting a forward on the chest 40m away!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
LP has a bug bear about all stats, its a prerequisite when you order your tin-foil hat.

Nobody is saying its infallible, but its clearly better than nothing at identifying talent in regards to kicking.
It highlights people taking the right option moreso than pure ability by foot too.

Reply #8
LP has a bug bear about all stats, its a prerequisite when you order your tin-foil hat.
Not at all, just like it pays to know what a political party stands for before you vote, which often differs greatly from the label they use, it pays to know how stats are defined before analysis and evaluation.

The devil is always in the detail.

Paranoia is not that inverse of blissful ignorance, that would just be another poor definition.
The Force Awakens!