Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6101 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #30
Absolutely not good for the heart that game - my heart shattered into a million pieces when they kicked the goal which turned out to be touched 😮‍💨

Melbourne got a lot of calls their way, not sure what the free kick count was but seems they could do no wrong 🙄

So proud of all their efforts - Hewitt and Fogs really stood out to me in the last! We deserved to have this go our way!!

Reply #31
Again, we need to play both him and Pitto at the moment due to injuries. But if Harry and Jack are both fit, personally, i'm not picking TDK on form.
It's fantasy for fans to think SoJ can positively impact momentum in the ruck against Gawn and Grundy the way TDK did last night. No dodgy Stats or dodgy use of Stats will change anyone's mind about that, especially not a Stat as dodgy and subjective as HtA!

Just an objective 14 contested possessions, dare I say it most of them momentum changing follow up 2nd efforts to a ruck contest that set Cripps, Dow or Hewitt free when it really mattered. ;D

Finally on this,
People want to play him because he is a 'genuine ruck'....and here you are telling him not to worry about the ruck, just contest.
FWIW, He only had 1 hta from 45 ruck contests (2%) Pittonet was poor as well but had 4 / 63 (6%) with 18% less TOG.
we can consider the full picture, and completely ignore your attempt to verbal me;

I get it, I'm sure many of us get it, you fear for the future of SoJ and you deal with that by attacking the player who you have identified as the main competition for the role you think SoJ can play, but there are two flaws in your perception, that there is a genuine competition for that role and that SoJ can play it!

At least with @ElwoodBlues1 we know why he hates TDK, in fact why he hates anyone who signs for more than two bob a game, that's exposed by him labelling players like Gov as money bags, a label he might use for TDK in the seasons to come. But @Kruddler your anti-TDK rants are just becoming largely irrational, and if readers bother to follow up your claims by looking at the objective stats you might actually hurt Pitto because they might not understand the role Pitto brings not measured by a stat, or worse still they might believe the dud commentary from the likes of Barrett or Negropontis.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Not yet, do the ladder predictor, if we lose the next 2 and results go a certain way, we can drop out. We aint out of the woods yet.

No one is gonna stop this team. This is a freight train thats finding a new gear every week with superstars to come back into the team. I'm Excited.

Reply #33
No one is gonna stop this team. This is a freight train thats finding a new gear every week with superstars to come back into the team. I'm Excited.
Good on ya mate, I'm glad you're excited, you should be, we all should be. But I'm gonna curb my excitement until we are 100% guaranteed a finals birth, right we now we are not.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
[quote author=LP link=msg=398960 date=1691845213

Charlie who's field play is quickly turning him into the the next Franklin. I had to laugh on the broadcast when Daisy said "that kick to Owies" wasn't that good :o
[/quote]

She was referring to the kick to Charlie.

Reply #35
It's fantasy for fans to think SoJ can positively impact momentum in the ruck against Gawn and Grundy the way TDK did last night. No dodgy Stats or dodgy use of Stats will change anyone's mind about that, especially not a Stat as dodgy and subjective as HtA!

Just an objective 14 contested possessions, dare I say it most of them momentum changing follow up 2nd efforts to a ruck contest that set Cripps, Dow or Hewitt free when it really mattered. ;D

Finally on this,we can consider the full picture, and completely ignore your attempt to verbal me;

I get it, I'm sure many of us get it, you fear for the future of SoJ and you deal with that by attacking the player who you have identified as the main competition for the role you think SoJ can play, but there are two flaws in your perception, that there is a genuine competition for that role and that SoJ can play it!

At least with @ElwoodBlues1 we know why he hates TDK, in fact why he hates anyone who signs for more than two bob a game, that's exposed by him labelling players like Gov as money bags, a label he might use for TDK in the seasons to come. But @Kruddler your anti-TDK rants are just becoming largely irrational, and if readers bother to follow up your claims by looking at the objective stats you might actually hurt Pitto because they might not understand the role Pitto brings not measured by a stat, or worse still they might believe the dud commentary from the likes of Barrett or Negropontis.

If our best tap ruckman is getting one 'hit-out to advantage' a quarter, and there's no indication what happens to it after that first possession, it's really not a stat that's worth 'two bob'.

Forget the stats...look at the positioning, the effort and the influence at the contest and it's obvious who was our best ruckman last night.
Tom missed some marks he should have taken, but first hands on the ball and bringing it to ground is the second best result in a contest.

Reply #36
Melbourne have some seriously good footballers who came to play tonight. Razer Ray needs to stop guessing when making decisions. He was incapable of seeing Cuningham holding up the Melbourne player in the tackle from where he was. As a former goal umpire that final shot was a point every day of the week. Good decision validated by the review.
We have six players who could be brought into the side, Silvagni, Walsh, Cerra, McGovern, Kennedy and McKay, the question is who would go out. If we ever get close to having a full list to choose from there will be some very disappointed players.
As I keep saying, winners win because they win. We need to keep our winning mentality. I think we can really cause some real damage this year.

Reply #37

That's what it feels like and a train no one can stop. I'm trying to contain my expectations for now though.  Let's just make sure of playing finals and then we can really start to dream!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #38
Good on ya mate, I'm glad you're excited, you should be, we all should be. But I'm gonna curb my excitement until we are 100% guaranteed a finals birth, right we now we are not.
I want to be all in but I’m with you. Too many disappointments in the past of ‘almost ’.  It feels different with this group, there’s a confidence there that wasn’t previously.  There are no more stuttering nervous kicks -
It’s just one way traffic and go.

I had no expectation for the win last night. Am beyond proud, let’s knock over GC so we can really start believing!

Reply #39

Yes agree. My lid is firmly on, until as you say, finals are confirmed.

Reply #40
Can someone tell me why Gawn kicking it away after we got the mark or free kick, wasn’t paid 50m?  I think it was to Jack? At the ground I couldn’t see how on earth he wasn’t penalised .

Reply #41
[quote author=LP link=msg=398960 date=1691845213

Charlie who's field play is quickly turning him into the the next Franklin. I had to laugh on the broadcast when Daisy said "that kick to Owies" wasn't that good :o

She was referring to the kick to Charlie.

Yes that’s right. She’s a great commentator and knows her sh1t. She knows Charlie is a top field kick and mentions it often.

Reply #42
Very impressive, especially when you factor in the quality 'outs'.

The two 'in-form' sides put on a finals like display. Looking ahead, the difference between the two in-form sides is the room for improvement... the Go Dees have some room for improvement, ours is significant.

We continue to be the hunters and last night we were up against another side that hunts really well, with strong contributions from all their players. We absorbed their hunting really well, but still conceded more than we would have liked... we will learn much from that, and a win that was as hard fought as you can imagine.

As Vossy pointed out, we've found different ways to win in different circumstances - culture, leadership and maturity (not to mention, confidence).

How good is the development of Kemp? And when TDK starts clunking his grabs, lookout.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #43
Melbourne have some seriously good footballers who came to play tonight. Razer Ray needs to stop guessing when making decisions. He was incapable of seeing Cuningham holding up the Melbourne player in the tackle from where he was. As a former goal umpire that final shot was a point every day of the week. Good decision validated by the review.
We have six players who could be brought into the side, Silvagni, Walsh, Cerra, McGovern, Kennedy and McKay, the question is who would go out. If we ever get close to having a full list to choose from there will be some very disappointed players.
As I keep saying, winners win because they win. We need to keep our winning mentality. I think we can really cause some real damage this year.
For the avoidance of doubt
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #44
Yes that’s right. She’s a great commentator and knows her sh1t. She knows Charlie is a top field kick and mentions it often.
That kick to Owies from Charlie was sublime.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th