Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Thread: AFL 2019 Rd 13: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 12061 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre-Game Thread: AFL 2019 Rd 13: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Dogs coming off the bye. still smarting from the R5 loss, will have half the starting 18 sitting on Cripps.

Dogs by 2 goals.

Re: Pre-Game Thread: AFL 2019 Rd 13: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #1
Dog coming off the bye. still smarting from the R5 loss, will have half the starting 18 sitting on Cripps.

Dogs by 2 goals.

Agree, going to be tougher this week, IMO they may sacrifice Bontempelli to tag Cripps at the stoppages and run a similar plan to what Nth did
with Zeibell. Be a good challenge for Teague and its up to our other mids to lift and pick up the slack if Cripps is being held.

Reply #2
Coming off a bye can make a side lose some momentum. Be a little flat on the field in the first quarter by past experience. I hope we can jump them early. If we do anything can happen.  Probably a game we just might miss by a whisker, but I have some added faith this time in this squad. Teague isn’t afraid to make a change on the field during a game to swing a game the other way. He also has no issues accepting faults if he says the wrong things.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #3
Their bye will be offset by our confidence.

Us by 2

Reply #4
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/stats-insider-do-afl-teams-win-more-often-after-a-bye-week-against-teams-that-played-the-week-before/news-story/f0ec5d65482dbc1fb067e510ccbec981

Analysis from Stats Insider has found that since 2011 — when bye weeks were implemented due to the introduction of the Gold Coast Suns — until 2015, there have been 61 games where a rested side clashed with a team that had to play the week before.

And while the numbers say one thing on the surface, it’s important to look deeper.

In those 61 games, the team coming off a bye has won 36 per cent of the time. But they were only expected to win 42 per cent of the time.

Note : 2016 article....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #5
I've seen nothing in a very long time to suggest that we can win two games in a row.
Dogs will be seething about last time, they should win easy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
I've seen nothing in a very long time to suggest that we can win two games in a row.
Dogs will be seething about last time, they should win easy.

That's just bunkum.

Based on nothing. They're every bit as ordinary as us....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #7
That's just bunkum.

Based on nothing or recent form?
Last 20 games, which form is ours and which one is theirs?

WLLLLWWWLWWLLLLWWLLL

LLLLWLLLLLLLLWLLLLLL

Last 50 games?

LWLLWLLWLLWWWWLLLLLWLLWWWLLLLLWLLLLWWWLWWLLLLWWLLL

WWLLLWWLLLLLLLLWLLLLLLLLWLLLLLLLLLWLLLLLLLLWLLLLLL

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8
tells you nothing.

new coach, new team (as good as).

And we beat them very easily last time and they're coming off the bye....and they're ordinary.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #9
Beating the lions was awesome and a great relief. Can't knock it.  Now to see if anything has really changed.

Reply #10
That's just bunkum.

That would be funny if it wasn’t so close to the bone  :)

A bit of luck, better umpiring, greater self belief and fewer injuries and we could have strung 3 or 4 wins together.

For me, the critical factor is that the players have got reward for effort for the second time this season.  Will that satisfy them or will it drive them to dig deep again?  Of course, a lot will depend on whether Cripps plays on his terms or goes into his shell if he’s tagged.  I suspect that Beveridge will just set Bontompelli to go head to head with Cripps and that will suit our man.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Short term goals from here.
First one get off the bottom.
That could come as soon as next week.

Reply #12
Short term goals from here.
First one get off the bottom.
That could come as soon as next week.

Agree. I know there are other things that are more important but winning another spoon just can’t happen. Then handing the first pick away to those pr1cks regardless of how we want to argue it, is something I just have to pull out all stops to avoid. Giving away pick 2-4 doesn’t feel anywhere near as painful and giving them the top pick.

Back to the game, this is a definitely a winnable game. Play with the same energy we did this week send Ed to Bont and if he can keep him quiet I think we will be well on our way to 2 in a row.

Reply #13
Plenty of other dog midfielders to mind.  Hunter,  Macrame, Libba etc
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #14
The defence is going to be very hard to select soon in regards to the talls. Levi's surprising there, Jones to come back, Weitering flying, Marchbank way better last week with his intercept marking, Goddard really smashing it in the VFL and more than deserves a game.