Skip to main content
Topic: Jack Silvagni - The Ultimate Medical Sub (Read 27459 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jack Silvagni - The Ultimate Medical Sub

Reply #45
He's in our top 25-30 imo.

I don't think he is a sub but a starting talent tbh - his best position would be a link-man between defence to forward with his endurance and work rate. He's a hard match up for a half back flank and his skills are excquisite.

Reply #46
If we are at the point next season where a handy player like Jack Silvagni is a sub or on the fringes of the best 22, there's only 2 possibilities IMO :

- the MC is incompetent or corrupt,
- our list is healthy, in form and deep.

There's no doubt in my mind as to the more likely possibility.

Reply #47
Fox Footy has published our "best 23" for 2024.  Apart from including Elijah Hollands, they have gone with one ruckman, Tom De Koning, with Jack Silvagni as third tall forward and second ruckman.  That's only going to happen if Marc Pittonet is injured and our developing rucks aren't ready to play at AFL level.

AFL.com has a more convincing "best 22" with Tom De Koning and Marc Pittonet sharing the ruck duties and Jack Silvagni nowhere to be seen.  However, I'm not sure that whoever picked that team appreciates Jack's ability to find space inside 50, to mark on the lead, and his value when giving Charlie or Harry a break, as well as making the opposition sending a competent tall defender to him ; I don't really want to see Matty Cottrell lining up on a key defender.  On the flipside, we don't want Jack playing against a defender who will run off him.

If Jack is in form, he plays as our third tall forward and one of Matt Owies, Jesse Motlop and Lachie Fogarty misses out.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Jack as the sub.  He has the versatility to be the ideal contingency sub as well the ability to have an impact as a strategic sub.  I'm not convinced that a strategic sub needs to be speedy player to have an impact.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #48
David, if I've understood your post, your 6 forwards would be : McKay, Curnow, Martin, Silvagni, and 2 out of Moltop, Owies and Fogarty. Is that right ?

Reply #49
Fox Footy has published our "best 23" for 2024.  Apart from including Elijah Hollands, they have gone with one ruckman, Tom De Koning, with Jack Silvagni as third tall forward and second ruckman.  That's only going to happen if Marc Pittonet is injured and our developing rucks aren't ready to play at AFL level.

AFL.com has a more convincing "best 22" with Tom De Koning and Marc Pittonet sharing the ruck duties and Jack Silvagni nowhere to be seen.  However, I'm not sure that whoever picked that team appreciates Jack's ability to find space inside 50, to mark on the lead, and his value when giving Charlie or Harry a break, as well as making the opposition sending a competent tall defender to him ; I don't really want to see Matty Cottrell lining up on a key defender.  On the flipside, we don't want Jack playing against a defender who will run off him.

If Jack is in form, he plays as our third tall forward and one of Matt Owies, Jesse Motlop and Lachie Fogarty misses out.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Jack as the sub.  He has the versatility to be the ideal contingency sub as well the ability to have an impact as a strategic sub.  I'm not convinced that a strategic sub needs to be speedy player to have an impact.

What both those best 22(3)s have in common is what i've been referring too all year. Team balance and being mindful of NOT being too tall.
You can't play 2 rucks, 2 key forwards and Jack.

Whichever way you want to slice it, thats what it boils down too.
You wanna play Pitto as 1st ruck, TDK and Charlie as KPPs, then you can play Jack.
You wanna play Pitto as 1st ruck, TDK as backup forward, and Charlie and Harry....then Jack should probably miss out (although i think it makes us too immobile.
You wanna play TDK as 1st ruck, Jack as backup and Charlie and Harry as KPFs, then Pitto misses out. TDK probably needs to improve his ruckwork and work around the ground, but i think this is the likely long-term plan.

Thing is, i don't care who plays where and when, as long as it works for the team.
I've put up numbers, stats and many many paragraphs behind the pros and cons of each, and people accuse me of bias. Not so, just using the numbers to guide me in picking my best team......and its certainly not clear cut one way or another.

However, i do get my back up when someone proclaims "its simple..." because its not. Or if someone says "player x is better than player y at...." and stats say otherwise.

Have an opinion, but base it on some kind of logic and/or evidence. Even if its simply based on potential.

Reply #50
This is an article going back in time, to February of this year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/878124/a-rucking-dilemma-blues-still-weighing-up-best-mix

The whole article is worth a read, even if it is old. The fact that team balance is important is a given, but there's  fair bit that goes into it, and unfortunately much of the info is not available to us.

.........................The question on Carlton's lips internally as it seeks to decipher its perfect ruck mix for the season ahead is how tall is too tall? Can the Blues play with Pittonet, De Koning and Silvagni, along with key forwards Curnow and McKay, in the same team?...............................

"A lot of it depends on some of their physical characteristics and height is one of them. But speed comes into it, endurance comes into it, agility comes into it, then capacity comes into it," Voss said.

"The capacity for them to be able to play tall or small, they're all factors. One thing we do have on our side when it comes to the front-end is that there aren't many 204cm guys that move like Harry. It's the same with Charlie. The agility and movement and speed are on their side, despite what their height measurements say..............................

Reply #51
This is an article going back in time, to February of this year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/878124/a-rucking-dilemma-blues-still-weighing-up-best-mix

The whole article is worth a read, even if it is old. The fact that team balance is important is a given, but there's  fair bit that goes into it, and unfortunately much of the info is not available to us.

.........................The question on Carlton's lips internally as it seeks to decipher its perfect ruck mix for the season ahead is how tall is too tall? Can the Blues play with Pittonet, De Koning and Silvagni, along with key forwards Curnow and McKay, in the same team?...............................

"A lot of it depends on some of their physical characteristics and height is one of them. But speed comes into it, endurance comes into it, agility comes into it, then capacity comes into it," Voss said.

"The capacity for them to be able to play tall or small, they're all factors. One thing we do have on our side when it comes to the front-end is that there aren't many 204cm guys that move like Harry. It's the same with Charlie. The agility and movement and speed are on their side, despite what their height measurements say..............................

There is agility, and then there is agility for a big man.

We are not comparing our talls to other teams talls.....we know we stack up well.
We are comparing our talls, to the our own smalls....and the opposition smalls.

We saw it in the Lions game. Once the ball hit the deck, they swept the ball away and looked a million bucks and we didn't look like catching them. Thats what i'm conscious of trying to avoid.

One on one, i'll back our boys against anyone.

Its hard to make the point when talking in general terms, so try this for an exercise.

Put our forwards against our backs...proper matchups.
Weiters on Harry.
Kemp on Charlie
McGovern on Silvagni

How are we for agility now?
Our defenders would smash our forwards once the ball hits the deck. In fact, they smashed most of the AFL. We ended up finishing 4th for points against. But there was a standout 4 (50 points between them) and daylight to 5th.
Most other teams don't have a kemp/mcgovern duo to take on 3rd talls, but have a smaller more agile option....say Cincotta type.
How are we for agility then?

Look, we all saw it. Once we brought in more run and pressure, we turned our season around.
When it got to the Lions game, we picked a side more like we were playing when we were losing.

Our form was built on run and pressure and the taller you are, the less you can bring that....no matter how agile the big blokes are, they are not as agile as a smaller bloke.

Going back to the topic at hand....
That is why you don't have a ruck as a sub...and ideally, not a tall at all.

On occassions, Jack could be useful in that role, depending on who you have picked and how fit they are (or aren't) but thats an isolated case. You generally want run and pressure to be injected into the game.

Reply #52
Agility for a big man relative to other big men is all that matters, it's the opposition have to match up on them not a team-mate.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
David, if I've understood your post, your 6 forwards would be : McKay, Curnow, Martin, Silvagni, and 2 out of Moltop, Owies and Fogarty. Is that right ?
@PaulP, assuming the whole list is fit and available, based on the 2nd half of our 2023 season, can you really see us playing both SoJ and Martin alongside H and Charlie?

I suspect that will look top heavy, and we'll either have SoJ or we'll have Martin, with Motlop, Owies, Cunnigham and another as our rotating smalls.

Personally, we will struggling to lever in the likes of Kennedy, Hollands and Hollands, given Acres is a certain starter. To get them in with Cerra, Walsh and Hewett I suspect means Cripps must at stages rest forward, and that is not going to happen on top of Martin and SoJ.

I can't see it being viable to have Cripps resting forward while SoJ rucks, in my opinion we need our strongest Mid combination in play when our weakest ruck is in the rotation. But then that seems to be punishing the better Mids, why don't they get an easier run with TDK or Pitto?

The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
@PaulP, assuming the whole list is fit and available, based on the 2nd half of our 2023 season, can you really see us playing both SoJ and Martin alongside H and Charlie?

I suspect that will look top heavy, and we'll either have SoJ or we'll have Martin, with Motlop, Owies, Cunnigham and another as our rotating smalls.

Personally, we will struggling to lever in the likes of Kennedy, Hollands and Hollands, given Acres is a certain starter. To get them in with Cerra, Walsh and Hewett I suspect means Cripps must at stages rest forward, and that is not going to happen on top of Martin and SoJ.

I can't see it being viable to have Cripps resting forward while SoJ rucks, in my opinion we need our strongest Mid combination in play when our weakest ruck is in the rotation. But then that seems to be punishing the better Mids, why don't they get an easier run with TDK or Pitto?

I would play McKay, Curnow, Martin, Moltop, Owies and Fogarty as my forwards. One of the points I was trying to make is that assuming a fully fit list, the MC will have tough calls to make each and every week. There's plenty that are good enough to be in, but not enough places for them all. As they say, "it's a nice problem to have."

Reply #55
As they say, "it's a nice problem to have."
Years ago I wanted SoJ as a Mid rotation option, when he was dropped back to the VFL he played a Mid role quite well, he is big enough and strong enough over the footy to do the inside Mid or even replace Ed as a Tagger type role. When he 2nd rucks I see him more as a sub/alternate for TDK than Pitto, because of the similar mobility between TDK and SoJ, but if they are both available TDK has SoJ covered for size, speed, strength and contested marking as the 1st choice option.

I don't see SoJ 2nd rucking to TDK when Pitto is fit, because Pitto brings that complimentary style as the gorilla wrestler, but it of course depends on opposition.

I think we'll regret not having spent more time developing SoJ for the Mid now that Ed has retired.

Martin is so versatile he's probably 3rd picked behind Charlie and H. He's plenty capable overhead, and can work Inside and Outside F50 stoppages as good as any genuine Mid, and he is a finisher.

Probably the weakest option around stoppages is Owies, but he more than makes up for that in the other aspects of play, he is also a finisher.

Motlop shows as much if not more potential inside F50 than the other smalls, but his general play is still well off the pace, but he gets another pre-season before we see him again, and that might bring a greater work ethic.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Agility for a big man relative to other big men is all that matters, it's the opposition have to match up on them not a team-mate.

There you go skimming again and not reading the whole post.

BTW, what happens after a behind?
What happens once there is a spoil?
What happens if there is a poor entry inside 50 that is not to our advantage?

In all cases, if we are too tall, the answer is the ball exits our forward line relatively easily once it gets into the opposition hands.
However, if we have some smaller, more agile forwards, the pressure rate increases and the likelyhood of a the ball exiting our forwardline decreases.

Reply #57
Voss wants Pittonet and TDK as his ruck combo and he wants Charlie, Harry and Martin(when fit) as his three prong forward setup.
There isnt any room for Jack anymore and he wont be playing many senior games unless we get injuries imho.
Jack would be in my best 22 but I cant see that happening under Voss and I dont think he will be sub too often either given most clubs dont make taller players subs unless they have injury doubts on key talls in the 22 and prefer an injection of pace or goalkicking small that can change momentum with quick goals.
I see Jack in no mans land as a footballer on our list, undervalued and a player who had to beg for a contract after receiving no interest from other clubs, take a min chips deal with the expectation of being a "break glass in case of emergency player".Imo he is way better than that and would do better at another club where he would play regular senior footy and have a chance to become a more valued player.

Reply #58
There you go skimming again and not reading the whole post.
I only have to address the issues that have some remote possibility of becoming a reality, the fantasy stuff I can ignore.

H and Charlie are generally faster and more agile than their direct opponents, SoJ being inside F50 does not add to our pace because he isn't there to replace a player slower than him, Martin, Motlop, Owies, Cunnigham, Fogarty and even TDK have him comfortably covered for pace. Probably the only F50 regular SoJ has covered for pace is Cripps, and in the past maybe Ed.

Excluding our later half of 2023, when we've lacked defensive run it's been the opposition Mids getting off the leash from our own Mids more than any other factor. Generally not our SFs in Owies, Cunnigham or Fogarty, perhaps Motlop because of effort not ability, certainly not Charlie, H, Martin, Acres, Hollands or Cottrell.

Perhaps it's impossible to play Cripps and SoJ in the same zone at the same time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
I only have to address the issues that have some remote possibility of becoming a reality, the fantasy stuff I can ignore.

Fantasy stuff.....like the opposition defenders having the ball?
Sure. See how that works out for you.