Skip to main content
Topic: Fixture 2024 (Read 19361 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Fixture 2024

Reply #15
OK so fixture has been revealed....albeit R15 onwards don't have time/date yet.

We play...
Round 0 - first match vs Lions
Round 1 - 'traditional opener' vs Tigers Thurs
Round 2 - bye
Round 3 - Good Friday vs Kangas
Round 4 - Gather round vs Freo @ Adelaide
*Blockbuster fatigue?*
Round 13 - Essendon - Kings b'day eve (sunday night)
Round 14 - bye

We play these teams twice...
Cats
Pies
Giants
Power
Kangas
Tigers

We play interstate...
R0 - brisbane (lions)
R2 - adelaide (vs freo)
R10 - Sydney (swans)
R12 - Adelaide (power)
R17 - Sydney (giants)
R23 - Perth (eagles)

We play 9/14 games on Thursday, Friday or Sun nights.
We play 4 saturdays in a row R4 - R7
Thurs - 3
Fri - 5
Sat - 5
Sat night - 0
Sun - 0
Sun night - 1

Welcome to prime time.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1466084/full-fixture-announced-blues-to-bring-the-noise-in-2024

Reply #16
It's the price we pay for being good again ;D

Reply #17
Awesome fixture - would have like a couple of Saturday night games we like going to the pub after the footy on Friday nights etc.

Reply #18
::)  :-\  ???
When is an 'opening' round not round 1 ?

I give in 😵‍💫

Opening: coming at the beginning of something; initial.

More absolute amateur nonsensical garbage from an organisation that's lost.
Lost: unable to find one's way; not knowing one's whereabouts.
"Help! We're lost!"

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #19
Let's face it, this is probably about the AFL throwing rocks at the NRL and Soccer more than anything to do with crowds or members. More of a strategic move in response to potential threatening opponents than anything else.

Fans can speculate, but we only hear about this stuff after decisions are made, we aren't privy to the commercial / corporate intelligence or sponsor feedback that underwrites these decisions.

The more "out of the blue" an action is, the less it has to do with you!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Let's face it, this is probably about the AFL throwing rocks at the NRL and Soccer more than anything to do with crowds or members. More of a strategic move in response to potential threatening opponents than anything else.

Fans can speculate, but we only hear about this stuff after decisions are made, we aren't privy to the commercial / corporate intelligence or sponsor feedback that underwrites these decisions.

The more "out of the blue" an action is, the less it has to do with you!

There's absolutley no doubt that there is a little more to the reasoning behind these 'opening round' shenanigans.

https://www.nrl.com/tickets/vegas/

NRL starts with a gimic, so a few days later we try something different as well.

Reply #21
There's absolutley no doubt that there is a little more to the reasoning behind these 'opening round' shenanigans.

https://www.nrl.com/tickets/vegas/

NRL starts with a gimic, so a few days later we try something different as well.

What a better way to do it than to steal their thunder back home when they are over in Vegas showing off Rugby. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
I give in 😵‍💫

Opening: coming at the beginning of something; initial.

More absolute amateur nonsensical garbage from an organisation that's lost.
Lost: unable to find one's way; not knowing one's whereabouts.
"Help! We're lost!"

I initially thought that “gather round” was an unsustainable gimmick but it was hugely successful - apart from some of the matchups.  Next season’s version looks like being even more successful.

Rather than farting around with opening and first rounds, the AFL could schedule gather round equivalents in the expansion States.

Apart from screwing with our first round opener and making it difficult for me to attend games, it’s not a bad fixture for us.  Prime time games will make our sponsors happy and only playing two final four teams twice should give us a bit of a leg up. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #23
Opens the door for more football to be played in future.

Players in Europe play 40 games per year and their off season is two months.
We have a 22 game competition with five month off season (too long off season shouldn't be longer than three months).

There is no doubt in my mind that if I was a broadcaster I would demand more content and bang for my buck.

Reply #24
Opens the door for more football to be played in future.

Players in Europe play 40 games per year and their off season is two months.
We have a 22 game competition with five month off season (too long off season shouldn't be longer than three months).

There is no doubt in my mind that if I was a broadcaster I would demand more content and bang for my buck.

I think the intensity of AFL football is a good deal higher than soccer. I think the season is too long, given the list sizes. I would be either increasing playing lists or cutting the number of games. Based on current list sizes, I would have teams play each other once only, then top four plays finals. Less injuries, less wear and tear, players are fresher for longer, they have longer careers, and the end result is better quality football IMO. I've floated this idea in the past, and it's been about as popular as a severe dose of the clap. Still, i remain undaunted.

Reply #25
NFL is about the closest thing to the wear and tear of the AFL IMO, albeit for slightly different reasons.

They have just 'expanded' to a 17 game season and have 32 teams. 4 weeks of finals.
They are well aware of the physical demands of the game and the toll it takes on their players.

I can't see us getting too many more games out of a season than what we already have.

Increase the teams, and decrease the season. You get the same amount of games for TV but look after the players for longer.

Reply #26
I think the intensity of AFL football is a good deal higher than soccer. I think the season is too long, given the list sizes. I would be either increasing playing lists or cutting the number of games. Being on current list sizes, I would have teams play each other once only, then top four plays finals. Less injuries, less wear and tear, players are fresher for longer, they have longer careers, and the end result is better quality football IMO. I've floated this idea in the past, and it's been about as popular as a severe dose of the clap. Still, i remain undaunted.

Yes but the players are also built differently.

Pre season should be December to February imo.. main season should be stretched out to November with more byes/breaks sometimes stretching out two weeks like in soccer with international matches.

Reply #27
I think the intensity of AFL football is a good deal higher than soccer. I think the season is too long, given the list sizes. I would be either increasing playing lists or cutting the number of games. Being on current list sizes, I would have teams play each other once only, then top four plays finals. Less injuries, less wear and tear, players are fresher for longer, they have longer careers, and the end result is better quality football IMO. I've floated this idea in the past, and it's been about as popular as a severe dose of the clap. Still, i remain undaunted.

My ideal is to play every other side twice.
That's not going to happen with 18-20 sides.
Playing every other side once isn't a bad option to my mind...but the fly in the ointment would be broadcasters and sponsors who wouldn't wear a reduced season

Reply #28
My ideal is to play every other side twice.
That's not going to happen with 18-20 sides.
Playing every other side once isn't a bad option to my mind...but the fly in the ointment would be broadcasters and sponsors who wouldn't wear a reduced season

Yes, no doubt that's right. I have the Jerry Maguire approach, which will never fly in a commercial environment. Too many suits and corporate types with their snouts in the trough, who will never accept a reduced pay day.

Reply #29
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/the-2024-afl-fixture-is-a-business-move-it-s-just-not-the-right-one/ar-AA1jWh4w?ocid=msedgntp&pc=ASTS&cvid=c65520e1a97a44a0b6658bf32e6cbb6e&ei=

Explaining the move, new AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon said the opening round fixture was introduced to help bolster the sport’s appeal in the northern markets.

“We were fortunate to be in a position where we were able to have access to our major venues in Queensland and NSW a weekend earlier than usual which gave us a unique opportunity to play these four games in key markets where footy continues to grow in popularity,” Dillon told AAP. “The four match-ups are big, with four of our biggest-supported Victorian clubs travelling north, and we look forward to starting our season with real momentum before we head into a blockbuster round of matches in round one.”