Skip to main content
Topic: A General in the Forward Line (Read 5207 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A General in the Forward Line

Reply #30
I think Simmo can help bridge the gap until Charlie, McGovern and McKay are synchronised, a year might well be enough!

The more I think about it, the more I can see that the pro Simpson crowd do have a point. I can see the merits, but I'd only give it a few weeks as a trial run. If they're still unco, then I don't think it will work. If it is successful, then part of his remit should be to groom McGovern as his successor.

Reply #31
Actually I don't see the point.

Why put Simpson down there to lead the forwards for 5 mins until he retires when we could use a forward who can grow into the role now?  Aka McGovern??

It's not like we are going to do much this year, so its ideal learn on the job conditions really.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
I don't know that it's a role in which you can just say... "You're it"
It has to be someone who the other forwards respect and are prepared to listen to.
If that's McGovern... OK
I think we're throwing up Daisy and Simpson because of their games experience and standing among the playing group.

It's a rare player like a Kernahan who can come in and immediately command that authority. If McGovern is that type of character it will show up fairly quickly.

Reply #33
Despite whats in the media, i'm sure there already is a guy in charge.
Could well be Gibbons for all we know.

Reply #34
It's a rare player like a Kernahan who can come in and immediately command that authority. If McGovern is that type of character it will show up fairly quickly.

I don't think it's just about a presence, it's about working to bring your team-mates into the game around you.

I think we've got the KPF positions covered, but they are not the type who create opportunities for others, they are more likely to be the focus of those created opportunities. Messiah types, who'll win the game for you off their own boot in the hot moment.

I think we need someone who has a primary focus of creating opportunities for others, knows how to get the football, plays in a disciplined manner, will be listened to by the beginners and commands enough senior respect to be honoured with disposals from players further up the field.

At the moment Gibbons seems to have become the defacto focus when all others are out of position, and it's not working we need another option.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Despite whats in the media, i'm sure there already is a guy in charge.

Could well be Gibbons for all we know.

As I understand it was Ed, I believe he publicly declared as much in one of the interviews after his better game, which is ironic given the thought of Simmo or Daisy having a crack.

I think we miss Ed in the midfield, far more than we would miss Daisy or Simmo off the HBF.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
If there is already a 'General' he needs to get demoted because he's not doing a very good job.

Reply #37
Actually I don't see the point.

Why put Simpson down there to lead the forwards for 5 mins until he retires when we could use a forward who can grow into the role now?  Aka McGovern??

It's not like we are going to do much this year, so its ideal learn on the job conditions really.

It's about transition and education. Simmo or Daisy up forward has a real chance of succeeding... and it only needs be for '5 minutes' as others will learn from him (Simmo or Daisy). The person to take over should impose himself (as Simmo and Daisy do down back) as a leader - clearly we have had no-one imposing himself as a leader up forward at this time... and it's costing us games, confidence and valuable experience.

And if Ed is/was the forward line leader... he failed.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
It's about transition and education. Simmo or Daisy up forward has a real chance of succeeding... and it only needs be for '5 minutes' as others will learn from him (Simmo or Daisy). The person to take over should impose himself (as Simmo and Daisy do down back) as a leader - clearly we have had no-one imposing himself as a leader up forward at this time... and it's costing us games, confidence and valuable experience.

And if Ed is/was the forward line leader... he failed.
we need to let Simmo chase a kick and improve his output rather than rob from the position we are most hurting in (small rebounding defender) to put him up front.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
we need to let Simmo chase a kick and improve his output rather than rob from the position we are most hurting in (small rebounding defender) to put him up front.

Yes, Simmo should be on the wing and a more natural and competent defender should take his halfback role.

He’s not a forward and never has been and he’s never been a defender either.  In fact, his best defensive work was when he drifted back from the wing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball