Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 45611 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #75
I reckon that not only are Bell and Robbo starters in our line up but they're very important to the side adding that hardness and perhaps making the opposition think twice before they go.

^^^^^This  x million
Finally we have a couple of players that hurt the oppositio, yes they may turn the ball over a bit,  but they offer more positives than negatives.
Have you seen Juddys games from last year? Did some great things but continually hand balls to the other team and no one is complaining about his disposal.
Yes they lack class but would rather them in than someone like Lucas. ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #76
I thought we were pretty good for the team that was on paper, at least seven changes to be made to our best side (Henderson, Jamo, Simpson, Carrots, Judd, Jeffy & Kruz). For a strong team (on paper) Norf were terrible, I am sick of the 'experts' banging on about there age.. they always forget to mention that they have a large group of over 30s (who are critical to their team).

Anyway..

My real concern is our inability to win holding the ball decisions, last year I was frustrated week in week out when we would seemingly catch players with the ball only not to be rewarded. Then moments later one of our players picks the ball up in the pack and is pinged. It happened again yesterday, on a couple of occasions, I am not claiming that the umps are deliberately going against us, but we must be doing something wrong. Anyone else?

What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #77
I reckon that not only are Bell and Robbo starters in our line up but they're very important to the side adding that hardness and perhaps making the opposition think twice before they go.

^^^^^This  x million
Finally we have a couple of players that hurt the oppositio, yes they may turn the ball over a bit,  but they offer more positives than negatives.
Have you seen Juddys games from last year? Did some great things but continually hand balls to the other team and no one is complaining about his disposal.
Yes they lack class but would rather them in than someone like Lucas. ::)

OK, i've asked a few people to do this and nobody has complied, so i'll do it myself and then maybe you'll see why i've been so 'negative' towards Bell and Robbo.

Best 22...
FB   Tuohy  Jamison  Simpson
HB  Walker  Watson  Everitt
C    Gibbs     Judd   Thomas
HF  Yarran  Henderson Garlett
FF  Kreuzer   Waite   Menzel
FOLL Warnock  Murphy  McLean
INT  Scotland Carrazzo Curnow
SUB Armfield

EMG Cachia Bell Robinson Lucas Docherty McInness Casboult Graham Cripps

Which of my starters do you guys want to leave out to fit in Bell and Robinson?
Armfield and Curnow are similar players with more runs on the board compared to those two.
Menzel, Yarran and Garlett might be one small too many, but we could do it while Eddie was here and Menzel offers more marking power and ability to play further up the ground so i don't think thats an issue.
So you want to go with only 1 ruckman?

I just can't see, when fully fit, how they will force there way into our best side.

Reply #78
Have to 110% agree with Baggers - a few posts ago.

After a pre-season where we have been written off, and North pumped as genuine top 4 material, personally I'm feeling much more positive.

With many key players out we beat a almost full strength side, with the foot off the gas in the last.

Loved the genuine improvement in players like Bell, Buckley, Menzel and especially Watson. Kenny was a definite plus.

Happiest about the fact there were few passages of play, when we were trying, when North was not harrassed.
At the fall of the ball there were more blues.
We Sheparded - that's new.

So individual performances aside we looked like a better functioning _team_.
With less disposals we won.
We generally made better decisions possibly because they know exactly what was expected of them, which fed into confidence, which helps decision making, then repeat.

Yes, have to agree with Baggers - very positive.

Reply #79
Some very good points there Kruddler, it makes sense and it would be a difficult decision to displace anyone in the side you picked. However, Bell, Robbo and Cachia are probably our 3 best tackling players and I have a feeling that might count hugely in their favour when it comes to team selection. Plus I think Bell and Robbo in particular lift the rest of the team with their wrecking ball style of play.

Reply #80
Some very good points there Kruddler, it makes sense and it would be a difficult decision to displace anyone in the side you picked. However, Bell, Robbo and Cachia are probably our 3 best tackling players and I have a feeling that might count hugely in their favour when it comes to team selection. Plus I think Bell and Robbo in particular lift the rest of the team with their wrecking ball style of play.

Don't get me wrong, i like what they bring to the side, Cachia too (who i think uses the ball better), but you simply can't fit everyone in the side. Obviously there will be some players with injuries which will allow them to get plenty of games, but based on paper alone they don't demand a spot.
Which is a good thing, means we have depth.

Reply #81
But based on form from yesterdays performance, all 3 would be ahead of Armfield!

Reply #82
But based on form from yesterdays performance, all 3 would be ahead of Armfield!

Armfield was the sub at the start of the game, so didn't get the same amount of exposure.

Going by that logic, all 3 would be ahead of Murphy and Gibbs too!

Doesn't quite work that way ;)

Reply #83
OK, i've asked a few people to do this and nobody has complied, so i'll do it myself and then maybe you'll see why i've been so 'negative' towards Bell and Robbo.

Best 22...
SUB Armfield

If we have all those players on the park at once it will be a miracle.

Considering Army came in for Thomas there is your first answer. This would be my team.

HB  Walker  Watson  Yarran
HF  Robbo  Henderson Garlett
FF  Kreuzer   Waite   Everitt
SUB Bell

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #84
Didnt impress me yesterday - Lucas, Casboult, McInnes, Graham, Warnock.

Thought Wood was more impressive than Warnock.

Casboult terrible as was Waite but itds the fringe players that I was lookig at.

Graham needs to do more and stop playing 'nice' footy. Top AFL footballers do more so hopefully he improves cos the kid has talent and Ive been a fan since day 1.

Liked Cripps - went and got the footy which is important. His vision and nous were already on show. Very Mick Barlow/Jobe Watson like.

McInnes, cant jump and looks slow. Hopefully improves as he's yoing and a real goer. Bootsma the pick out of those two for mine. Likes Boots last qtr when he took McInnes's role down back. Better mover by far.

Lucas - didnt even know he was playingfor a while. Terrible output. Im expecting more from him. Only game 1 though.

Cachia, Buckley and Bell had rippers. Just impressed which is what they need to do again next week/game.

If we could only get Robinson to handball more that would be good for the team IMHO, his kicking is still far too much hit and miss. His tenacity and hardness, tackling pressure, etc is great but that needs to be tempered with better nous, a cooler head and better kicking IMO.

Reply #85
I'd have Bell over Curnow if Carrazzo was available.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #86

Best 22...
SUB Armfield

If we have all those players on the park at once it will be a miracle.

Considering Army came in for Thomas there is your first answer. This would be my team.

HB  Walker  Watson  Yarran
HF  Robbo  Henderson Garlett
FF  Kreuzer   Waite   Everitt
SUB Bell

Armfield came in for Thomas....so that means he isn't in our best 22? Neither is Scotland, Carrazzo, Simpson.... Don't think you thought that one through.

FWIW, Armfield played every game last season. In fact he has missed just 1 game from the past 50! (R4 vs Ess 2012...boy we needed him then too!)
Last season Bell played 9/24
Robinson played 21/24

Big call putting them ahead of Army...who offers a very similar role, yet more versatility.

Leaving out Menzel is a somewhat easy decision to make as he is still learning the game, but he does add polish as well as hardness up forward.

@Shadesy...
Curnow placed 4th in last years B+F. Hard to drop him on last years form.

Reply #87
Looking at Kruddler and Carrots teams... Perhaps Scotland will be under the most pressure to hold his spot.

Mick has a history of making those calls early.

Reply #88

Armfield was the sub at the start of the game, so didn't get the same amount of exposure.

Going by that logic, all 3 would be ahead of Murphy and Gibbs too!

Doesn't quite work that way ;)

That's a ridiculous description of my 'logic' Kruddler.
We're talking about 4 players competing for a spot in our best side as opposed to 2 of of best players!
So it totally does work that way. MM probably would have been happy enough for Murph and Gibbs to get through the game uninjured. The others are fighting for a spot in the side.

Reply #89
[flash=600,400]http://www.youtube.com/v/pvyCWsErRSI[/flash]

Kruddler fighting around the world!