Skip to main content
Topic: Power forward? (Read 39985 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Power forward?

Reply #30
Our forward line is very much a work in progress. But as you mentioned, our successful forward line was not dependent on any one forward. We had 2 keys, Kernahan and Spalding. We had 2 mid sized forwards with something different, Clape and Pearce. We had a host of smalls.

At the moment we are lacking in all of those areas, but we do have potential:
[1] Key forwards:
We have just drafted 2 guys who could be answers, Curnow and McKay. They have real promise, but physically they won't be ready any time soon.
We have a real target in Casboult if we can get the ball near him regularly. Get the ball quickly from the middle and get him one out and he is a real headache for any defence. He has his issues and we all know them. But he is what we have.
Other than that, we have some question marks:
(a) Gorringe - a fail up in Qld, but a lad with the weapons. Can we make him work out as a key forward? I'm not sure, as I don't know how well he handles body pressure.
(b) Jones - next question. Seriously, he has the ability to blow away a defence, but he is probably not going to make it. He doesn't have enough idea, his kicking is unreliable, he doesn't get enough ball and his body work is terrible. For all that, he is a power player who can leap over tall buildings in a single bound. But he is not and never will be a primary key forward, a gorilla if you will.
(c) Resting ruckmen - another interesting concept, especially if we start moving the ball quickly into the forward 50. All of our rucks can take a mark and kick a goal, but they don't do it enough. Kreuzer looks much better as a ruckman and he is the most likely to do the job more than once in a game. But his kicking for goal is not what it used to be.
(d) Other kids - guys like Foster. Not sure what goes here.

[2] Mid sized forwards with X-Factor:
This is one area where we look not too bad.
We have Everitt, who can really do the job and take some really nice marks. He has issues with intensity and reliability, but he is a real danger. He has more pace than most guys his size and he can jump.
Andrew Walker used to be able to lead very well as well as taking screamers. Not what he used to be physically, but he does tackle and chase. He was once the most accurate kick for goal in the competition, but now he is unreliable. But his athleticism and potential work rate make him a real danger.
Silvagni is a look into the future. He may not have the raw pace of Walker, but he leads well, his work rate is 1st rate and he has the Silvagni desperation. He is also a much better kick than his old man.
I feel Gorringe will fit this role better than the key forward one as well, as he is much more mobile than he looks and his kicking is fine.
We also have guys like Armfield who have that extra pace and ability to shut down a key HBF player.

[3] Crumbing small forwards, including resting midfielders:
This is an area we really need to work on. Last year we had nothing on the ground at all, with no Betts and no Garlett. We tried Thomas, but he got injured in the 1st few minutes and couldn't contribute. We got Tutt, but he is playing better up field (where he looks not too bad).
So, we are dependent on new chums.
(a) Lamb - an unknown quantity who is yet to prove himself at 2 clubs.
(b) Sumner - a speed machine, but one who has struggled to get onto the park yet and who hasn't done a lot when he has.
(c) Gallucci - another guy with pace, but he has some runs on the board and crumbing is his specialty.
(d) Wright - not enough goals and not enough ball at Adelaide, but has the right attitude and work rate.
Then there are guys like Murphy, who really likes a goal when he gets the chance; Cripps, who is an incredibly difficult matchup at his height and Kerridge.

Looking at this and we could become quite a good forward line, but the questions are there.

I like Wright, averages 17 possies, 4 marks and 3 tackles a game, is a harder unit than the others and the Crows mids are a strong unit, so onball time would have been hard to get. He was ok vs the Hawks and is much more polished than the rest
I think both he and Kerridge will make us a better team....Wright will chase , tackle and do the basics well, probably doesnt have the Eddie Betts flair but is very honest.
I think Galluci is more your Ron Delulio style..both ex VFL/VFA....run and chase hard types......Lamb and Sumner were steak knives to get Plowman IMO and anything we get out of them is a bonus...

Cam Mooney on SEN said he worked with Liam Jones at the Dogs and said his tank is the problem, trains/tries hard but can only play in short bursts and then blows up and cant run anymore..
Only solution for that is to be played in a position where he doesnt run as much or take too much of of himself and thats down back...either FB or CHB....

I'd play Jones at FB in the NB's and have Jaksch training as my new FF....too me its obvious he has more going for him than the others...genuine KP rather than a manufactured ruckman type like Gorringe, smarter than Jones and  kicks straighter..its a no brainer IMO that Jaksch play FF.

Reply #31
Wright looks to be an upgrade on Ellard but I had to look twice because they are around the same height.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #32
Curnow is our next full forward. The talk about big bodied midfielder is just because he has endurance. Watching him play - he's suited to full forward. Plays tall for his height. Jumps at the ball well and will develop into a very big boy.

A few years to wait though.

Reply #33
EB, I reckon that Moon-dog is being nice to Jones... sure he may not have the tank but he simply doesn't have the nous to create space or run to dangerous positions and he has hard hands...infuriated me last year the way he kept running towards Henderson thus dragging his man to the contest leaving Henderson (or Casboult) to mark against multiple defenders.  Also drops way too many marks and flies for everything  leaving us outnumbered at the secondary contest - basically flies for the ball and doesn't recover and follow up.

In  short he has as much chance of making it as a forward as I have.  Maybe played as a high half forward presnting to the defence on the way out or behind the ball, but KP player he isn't and never will be.

We should be giving Jaksch a run across half forward - knows how to create space and separation, has better lateral movement and is a far better set shot kick.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
Pretty much agree DrE.

Reply #35
Curnow is our next full forward. The talk about big bodied midfielder is just because he has endurance. Watching him play - he's suited to full forward. Plays tall for his height. Jumps at the ball well and will develop into a very big boy.

I suspect the 'big bodied midfielder' tag is more about Curnow's ability to have an occasional run on the ball as Roughead does.

From the training footage I've seen, he has an excellent set of dukes and could very well develop into a key forward.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
How tall is C. Curnow? i've seen 191 and 192 cm. Still growing?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
How tall is C. Curnow? i've seen 191 and 192 cm. Still growing?

Almost the same size as Fev; a few kgs lighter and if he's still growing he will be taller.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
In regards to Liam Jones, I'd be training him to have a run off CHB and possibly trial Jaksch's in the forward line. The only place I can see Jones having any chance in the AFL.

Simply not a real alternative in the forward line.

Reply #39

Agree with all that but FF needs pace also. I've not seen enough of him to see what he would be like off the lead but all other attributes are there for sure. Looks so much like Waite the way he stalks around the ground.

Reply #40
In regards to Liam Jones, I'd be training him to have a run off CHB and possibly trial Jaksch's in the forward line. The only place I can see Jones having any chance in the AFL.

Simply not a real alternative in the forward line.

Playing Jones as a key defender would be like going into a game with one player missing.

Reply #41
Playing Jones as a key defender would be like going into a game with one player missing.

we did that (x2) with Yazz and Hendo last year.....
play him back in the 2s and see how he goes....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42
we did that (x2) with Yazz and Hendo last year.....
play him back in the 2s and see how he goes....

All in favour of that. See how he goes with a few games for the NBs.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #43
I think we can all agree (majority) that Jones = Fail
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
Sumner was taken at 10 in the 2011 draft - a bit more potential than "steak knives" EB1?

Still only 22.

Best AFL performance: Sumner’s energy and exhilaration was on show against Sydney in Round 1, 2013, where he collected a career-high 16 disposals, five tackles and two goals in a complete performance.

Finals, then 4 in a row!