Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 17887 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
CARLTON            0.0    2.5    4.6    7.11 (53)
MELBOURNE       5.2    7.4    8.5     8.6 (54)

GOALS
Carlton: Cuningham, Lang, Casboult, McGovern, Gibbons, Betts, Cripps No multiple goal kickers!
Melbourne: Hunt 3, Neal-Bullen 2, Petracca 2, Fritsch

BEST
Carlton: Murphy, Docherty, Weitering, Petrevski-Seton, McGovern, Curnow
Melbourne: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Salem, Langdon, Viney

INJURIES
Carlton: Newman (knee) A bad blow for us. Hopefully Williamson did OK in the scratch match.
Melbourne: Nil

Free kicks: 13 to us, 18 to them.
Tackles 41 to 50!
Hit outs: 26 to 34

I know I have been blowing my horn about getting a top ruckman now for years, but it would be nice if our match committee and recruiters could understand that.

Docherty and Murphy 24 possessions, Cripps and Curnow 21,
The statistics suggest that not enough was done by too many, even with a great 2nd half.
A question I have: did somebody play close and hard on Oliver? He doesn't like it. he isn't easy to tag, when his ruckman is dominating, but he can be smashed and he does retaliate. So, did we tag him?
Did we tag anyone?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
When does the agony end?  I am over so-called gallant second halves that still leave us without the four points.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, we still present the same garbage week in week out.  Dreadful decision making.  Dreadful kicking to position. Aside from Weitering and Jones, how many of our players can kick 40 metres or more with accuracy and penetration?

And the last 3 minutes of the game showed the weakness and immaturity in so many of our players with them looking as though they had stage fright and crumbling under pressure.

Reply #17
That clip from Wallace just doesn't do it. You can cuss and yell as much as you like, but if you don't have that fearsome demeanour, and if it's not part of you, it just doesn't wash. Also, at the very end where he says to shower and then he'll meet up at the social club, that takes out whatever tiny sting his words had to begin with.

If Malthouse or Clarkson delivered that spray...............

Wallace was a caretaker that year. Similar game. Dogs down 8 goals to one at qtr time and lost by 6pts. They didn't look back after that spray. Finished the last few games well and were PF's the next two years. Occasionally this speech is just what you need. Just once in a while. It's about when you make the speech and this is the one Carlton should've been hit with after the game. Those starts are something that now happens too often and need eradicating.

Reply #18
Same for both teams I know, but a home crowd in that last quarter (Melb supporters don’t leave the G) would have made a significant difference. I just think back to the saints game last year and it was the crowd that significantly contributed to that victory.

Reply #19
They came prepared.  We did not.  It's hard to barrack for this at times.

Comes across often as though we don't even get the basics.   

Reply #20
They came prepared.  We did not.  It's hard to barrack for this at times.

Comes across often as though we don't even get the basics.   
Hard At times? I am dead set over it. I changed channels in the 1st in disgust when they kicked their 5th (11 I50s to nil). I just cant watch it anymore, sorry but I just cant. I feel for people who coughed up their hard earned to support them and get that crap in return. Call me a sook, fairweather supporter whatever, they wont get a cent out of me ever again. Nothing changes, same rubbish week in week out sprinkled with the odd win every now and then against the bottom sides. If I hear one more person mention our supposed top end talent I will spew up. We have Cripps, Weitering and maybe Doc if he can stay injury free. The rest are just very average footballers with no intensity, poor skills and turn up and perform occasionally to justify collecting a pay cheque. Five farken years we have been waiting for green shoots, young players, blah blah farken blah. As ol mate Dane Swan said, the world has changed forever in the wake of Covid19, there is a constant though, the CFC and their pathetic rinse repeat efforts.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
 Think Cripps needs to give them a spray - should he have to be throwing himself into contests all the time while lesser talents stand and watch? No. Sick of that. Make players accountable. mcGOv plays Great in patches and horrible in most patches. Why did he not get dragged after that stupid early kick for goal we needed that he missed? We have no one to physically impose themselves besides now Pitt by the looks of it!? You can have a few Lang’s setterfields newmans but you can’t have most of your team made of these. Gallant effort? Duck off, we scored ZERO in the first quarter. After waiting months to play again, we score ZERO!

Reply #22
Was it just me or did Gawn seem to get a lot of soft umpiring calls?

Reply #23
Unless Cripps has a big game we can’t win. Simple as that.

No star quality apart from Cripps in the midfield and we are usually playing catch up as we can’t compete early on when the heat is on.  It’s bloody hard to improve when we give away so much week in week out where the majority of games are won and lost.

Was a game we just had to win against a bottom team and we failed again.

Will start 0/3 after next week. Not exactly the start needed for a team supposed to leap up the ladder this year.

Can look for positives all you want but the reality is we will again be a bottom team and will struggle to lure the midfield support form Cripps which we now already 2-3 years overdue for and every year we are more desperate for it.

Said it time and time again - until it happens we will stay a bottom team. End of story.

Reply #24
Twenty years of this sh1t.  Over it.  

Drop first three goals,  chances of winning are <20%.

Tasmania here we come.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #25
Was it just me or did Gawn seem to get a lot of soft umpiring calls?
I thought he got away with plenty today. Like hands in the back...
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #26
Twenty years of this sh1t.  Over it.  

Drop first three goals,  chances of winning are <20%.

Tasmania here we come.
Prof we are the laughing stock of the AFL
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
CARLTON            0.0    2.5    4.6    7.11 (53)
MELBOURNE       5.2    7.4    8.5     8.6 (54)

GOALS
Carlton: Cuningham, Lang, Casboult, McGovern, Gibbons, Betts, Cripps No multiple goal kickers!
Melbourne: Hunt 3, Neal-Bullen 2, Petracca 2, Fritsch

BEST
Carlton: Murphy, Docherty, Weitering, Petrevski-Seton, McGovern, Curnow
Melbourne: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Salem, Langdon, Viney

I'm sorry McGovern was in our bests?

I'd have him probably at the front of the queue to have a rest next week. Kicking was horrible. Chasing, lackluster. Impact, none.

Reply #28
Personally i thought our backline played very well after quarter time and losing Newman.

Weiters hardly got beaten all day.
Jones' intensity can never be questioned and his ability to give a teammate a chop out is excellent.
Docherty seems to have found his groove like he was never absent.
Plowman had a shaky start but reckon he won 90% of the contests from then on.
SPS has great ball movement and time and adjusting to his new role.

Reply #29
I realise it's foolish to try and be cheery in a losing post match thread, but take away that first q, and it's not all doom and gloom. We won the 2nd, 3rd and 4th q, had more scoring shots, more I50's, and frankly looked the better team for most of the match. Yes, it's only Melbourne, but if one of those behinds goes straight.................