Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 17981 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #45
I'm not sure Cripps was 100%.
Just seemed to lack a bit of the usual explosiveness...and certainly the impact.

He was on the bench having what looked like his ankle strapped. I could be mistaken, watching a small screen 👓
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #46
Very hard when you list contains just 3 at best A grade players in Cripps, doc and Weitering

Add in at best 3-4 B graders.

The rest of the side is C grade and below.

5 years into a rebuild and still a bottom team.

Miles behind where I thought we would be.
Yep, that about sums it up.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
A sobering realisation of what happens when coaching diligence is not applied to glaring deficiencies. 

Reply #48
Plenty of teams have started badly and gone on to make it a real contest. Another few minutes and we would have rolled them. Melbourne aren't that flash, but neither are we. Go back and watch the game - we were the better team for the most part, and we deserved the 4 points. We won't be scaring any top teams, but I never expected anything different, Teague or no Teague.

But there's little point in trying to take a holistic position - the I've-had-a-gutful brigade always rules the airwaves after such losses. 

Reply #49
.....................(2) Teague.  Honestly, why can't we spend money on a proper coach who can adequately 'prepare' the players to start from the first quarter.  Here we go again.  Big spoon chance in an asterix season.

Names please.

Reply #50
Cripps was tagged by Oliver like he usually is, and the Melbourne player did a fair job. Cripps should have taken the points by kicking those set shot goals and it's the only weakness in his game but its just so costly.
Re Kruds comments on McGovern... Fully agree, as I said earlier he has given us sfa and just taken the money. That easy goal he missed was crucial, if that was Paddy Dow he would have been crucified but McGovern continues to escape criticism. If he fails to deliver vs Geelong I would drop him.

Reply #51
What was with the first quarter? I know Pittonett was getting Reamed by Gawn but how did we not manage one score?

Reply #52
What was with the first quarter? I know Pittonett was getting Reamed by Gawn but how did we not manage one score?

Asleep and comprehensively outworked and outplayed.

Reply #53
A sobering realisation of what happens when coaching diligence is not applied to glaring deficiencies. 
The "Ive had a Gutful brigade" (me being one) have every right to feel the way we do, IMO anyone who doesnt is just showing blind navy blue faith. Looking at qtrs or mins where we played well in a loss just doesn't cut it anymore. That was fine 3-4 years ago, not now. People making excuses for Cripps saying he looked sick, hurt whatever, its BS. You cross the line, p!55 or get off the pot. Our players have had a preseason to prepare for Richmond and failed. They had 86 days to rectify it and failed. My concerns are:
- They still cant hit targets, our skills are appalling right across the board.
- They still miss easy shots at goal
- They cant lay a tackle to save themselves
- Ball winning is reliant on Cripps
- Winning is reliant on Cripps having a good/great game.
- They continue to put the same line ups out on the park based on FIIK what form. Try someone different, blood a few kids.
Despite all the hype, potential and what not, I don't think this list is up to it I'm afraid, every other team has gone passed us in some way, where as Carlton is if nothing else, consistently inconsistent.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #54
Asleep and comprehensively outworked and outplayed.

Two words - wasted opportunity.

For mine, any blame lies firmly at the feet of the midfield/midfield coach (ultimately, the senior coach). It was very evident from the get-go that Gawn was the dominant ruck yet there was no midfield smarts to understand, adjust and CHANGE. Had the midfield used their brains and adjusted (did the midfield coach give them a plan B?), then things would likely have been very, very different. The same old lament... poor on-field leadership, especially initiative and boldness to alter the tide - IN GAME, too often it takes a rocket/adjustment from the coaching staff at the break to affect change... FFS.

For Gawn, that first qtr was a picnic, nothing more than a training drill, he repeated the same things, which, strategically, met no opposition, over and over and they resulted in goal after goal. There should be no blame on Pitts... he gave his all and did his best.

I believe the club knows this, hence such vigor in trying to secure grade A mids to the club... and have failed, dismally to achieve this.

The midfield coach should be asking himself how come he didn't have the engine room ready to blast out of the blocks and be equipped with a plan B should Gawn dominate (a likely scenario). Rather, the mids started with a whimper and seemed clueless for on-field initiative to adapt and adjust. On-field, this is squarely at the feet of Cripps, Murphy and Curnow. Gibbons showed them how it was done by sharking/roving to Gawn at times and our first goal (I think) came from him knowing what Gawn was going to do and sharked the tap out... initiative/on-field footy smarts.

We lost this game above the shoulders.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #55
We've go too many blokes taking the piss.   Talking it up but not putting it up.

Examples need to be made.  I'd start with McGovern.   And I'm getting Spanners drift.... If Murphy can't impact games,  time to go mate.  Running around getting a few kicks ain't enough.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #56

For mine, any blame lies firmly at the feet of the midfield/midfield coach (ultimately, the senior coach). It was very evident from the get-go that Gawn was the dominant ruck yet there was no midfield smarts to understand, adjust and CHANGE. Had the midfield used their brains and adjusted (did the midfield coach give them a plan B?), then things would likely have been very, very different. The same old lament... poor on-field leadership, especially initiative and boldness to alter the tide - IN GAME, too often it takes a rocket/adjustment from the coaching staff at the break to affect change... FFS.

For Gawn, that first qtr was a picnic, nothing more than a training drill, he repeated the same things, which, strategically, met no opposition, over and over and they resulted in goal after goal. There should be no blame on Pitts... he gave his all and did his best.

I believe the club knows this, hence such vigor in trying to secure grade A mids to the club... and have failed, dismally to achieve this.

The midfield coach should be asking himself how come he didn't have the engine room ready to blast out of the blocks and be equipped with a plan B should Gawn dominate (a likely scenario). Rather, the mids started with a whimper and seemed clueless for on-field initiative to adapt and adjust. On-field, this is squarely at the feet of Cripps, Murphy and Curnow. Gibbons showed them how it was done by sharking/roving to Gawn at times and our first goal (I think) came from him knowing what Gawn was going to do and sharked the tap out... initiative/on-field footy smarts.

The midfield coach needs to go as he is an imbecile. I was listening to some one on radio the other day, a past great of the game, I cant for the life of me remember who. He made the comment that its always been a simple game, you need to win the ball and get it forward and that is now, its too complicated by over the top tactics and game plans. A coach who can peel it back and simply the game will be very successful I reckon. Its almost like kids come into the game knowing how to play football and one year into the system, they are lobotomised and forget how to play. Then again, maybe thats only applicable to Carlton players.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #57

Great post

I’ve personally had enough of
- Poor team selection. How can it be that we pick Lang? Questioning Newnes as well.
- Murphy’s weakness as an inside mid, he’s nothing more than cannon fodder in the guts.
- Ed Curnow kicking the ball inside 50. He can’t do it and it’s obvious to everybody watching except our coaches. He’s a tagger and nothing more.
- Will Setterfield floating around like Ms Daisy, hoping nobody will notice that his failed to impact yet another game. Get some intensity and desire boy.
- SPS on the HBF. He’s normally a great kick but can’t defend and lack night but if you wanted to point the finger at somebody that absolutely crucified our team in the first quarter through a lack of accountability and poor disposal, this is your man. Not good enough.
-lack of a small tough lock down defender. Haven’t had one for what seems like a couple of decades.

Solutions?
- Martin to a wing (wasted up forward)
- Murphy forward (he’s clever)
- SPS into the middle which is why we drafted him.
- Curnow to be instructed not to kick into 50 (handpass off or go sideways if need be)
- one of Silvagni or Kennedy plus Gibbons to help Cripps as extra inside miss, with players like SPS, Walsh, Dow, Fisher, Philp, Cunningham to finish.
- Lang, Newnes, Setterfield to prove themselves in lower leagues subject to our VFL form

Views??

Reply #58
Re:Midfield, Cripps was often contained away from the ball and Melbourne set up with Gawn directing the ball away from him.
Same old same old if Cripps is contained to an average game then we struggle.
Setterfield was thrown into the middle after the damage was done early but he hasn't put on much size and didn't impact.
Cripps needs help and it's the same story all through the rebuild where we have struggled to find another Midfield bull to help him.

Reply #59
It seems like the old adage of you play the same way as you train.
Two games this year but many games over the years we have failed to fire a shot in the first qtr only to just miss out on the chocolates.
The players must do this at training, just gradually build their intensity instead of warm up then into it.
There also seems to be a lack of intensity at training, yeah sure enough they run around and tackle each other and work up a sweat but this is similar to what happens on game day. There is no 'I'm going to make this personal' or I'm going to really hurt you tackles, there are no consequences for not succeeding.
Goal kicking?????? They must practice it but if they miss at training they just grab another ball and try and get it with the next one.
There are no consequences for missing, no pressure! This is what needs to be replicated at training, pressure.
Throw the medical science out the window that says you can only kick 10 times or can only be out on the training ground for x number of minutes.
Training should be harder than the game. The sessions don't need to go as long as a game but needs the same intensity, pressure and that feeling of the need to succeed and to win every battle.
I know it is different sport but when I played high level volleyball our training's were always harder than our games and the results proved it. Undefeated for 3 years in a row and won 9 titles in a row. (age is what got us in the end)
Also dislike the smiling at the end of the games when we lose. They seem to not care.
2024... Moir of the same to come