Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 14762 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #90
Perhaps after today we should realise we're closer to being a wooden spoon club than finalist. From here where do we think we'll finish, closer to 8th or 18th?

This is what happens when you do not go through a proper process in appointing the important, critically important position of senior coach of a leading sporting organisation. And that is on Liddle. Appointed popular as opposed to best.

Well, Sayers, are you another in the continuum of impotent Presidents of the CFC over our recent history, or do you know what it takes to be gladiatorial, and lead gladiators to a premiership?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #91
You know, Cripps get stick for not kicking well or kicking goals. So screwing what if he seems pleased that he got the result even if we did lose. You can never say that he doesn’t put in 100% every single time he plays. Let him have a bit of self enjoyment occasionally fgs.

Last week he was clapping in the box and fist pumping on the ground after the win - personally I like seeing him as the Everyman happy with a win, geeing up the boys when possible snd being down on himself when he fcks up and proud of himself when he nails it!

Reply #92
Perhaps after today we should realise we're closer to being a wooden spoon club than finalist. From here where do we think we'll finish, closer to 8th or 18th?

This is what happens when you do not go through a proper process in appointing the important, critically important position of senior coach of a leading sporting organisation. And that is on Liddle. Appointed popular as opposed to best.

Well, Sayers, are you another in the continuum of impotent Presidents of the CFC over our recent history, or do you know what it takes to be gladiatorial, and lead gladiators to a premiership?

Would it have made a difference? Hasn't so far in 20 years. Player motivation comes from within and only peer pressure will drive it. Coach can only encourage. Teague has actually the 2nd best record here by far (low bar admittedly but some bigger names have gone worse). The players did this to Ratten, round 22, 2012, when they lost to a depleted Gold Coast, 2nd bottom, showing little effort, when we need to win to get into the 8. It stamped Ratten's papers and we have regretted that move ever since. He was the one who at least got something out of us, even though our bad culture, which showed up in that game. Players don't have the will to be a good side. Haven't for 20 years.

Reply #93

The team that has been on top all year (albeit not after tonight) is the same team that has struggled for the past couple of years.

You know what the difference is this year? They haven't been cruelled by injuries!

FFS people can hope and want all they want, but without players available what do you expect?

Someone posted earlier that you can't be 5% off in todays game, well we are 33% off in terms of players available to us and we expect to NOT be 5% off in output? Gimme a break. We were 0% in terms of KPFs available to us.

Eddie Maguire has been saying it for years, Injuries are not an excuse.....they are a reason!

The reason we are losing is because we cannot field a competitve lineup each week at the moment. You might be able to get away with it some weeks. But you simply cannot get away with it every week.

Look at the all conquering tigers. Listen to the media talk about their form being down due to the injuries they've had. We have had 50% more injuries than them for the past couple of months at least. Its a reason for them, but we have it worse and we should sack the coach?!

I knew this kind of reaction would come today which is why i made it pretty clear in the pre-game that we were screwed.
If you look at it logically, you can be disappointed, but understanding.
If you look at it emotionally you are simply in a rage and want blood.

Too many in the latter category......and have been for decades. Not enough in the first category. Stick by the coach and ride out the bumps.
We need to stop looking in the rear view mirror of the past 20 years and look ahead to next week. You might actually see the pot holes coming and be able to brace for them instead of losing your $hit when you spill your coffee in your lap because you're oblivious to whats ahead.

Reply #94
The team that has been on top all year (albeit not after tonight) is the same team that has struggled for the past couple of years.

You know what the difference is this year? They haven't been cruelled by injuries!

FFS people can hope and want all they want, but without players available what do you expect?

Someone posted earlier that you can't be 5% off in todays game, well we are 33% off in terms of players available to us and we expect to NOT be 5% off in output? Gimme a break. We were 0% in terms of KPFs available to us.

Eddie Maguire has been saying it for years, Injuries are not an excuse.....they are a reason!

The reason we are losing is because we cannot field a competitve lineup each week at the moment. You might be able to get away with it some weeks. But you simply cannot get away with it every week.

Look at the all conquering tigers. Listen to the media talk about their form being down due to the injuries they've had. We have had 50% more injuries than them for the past couple of months at least. Its a reason for them, but we have it worse and we should sack the coach?!

I knew this kind of reaction would come today which is why i made it pretty clear in the pre-game that we were screwed.

Too many in the latter category......and have been for decades. Not enough in the first category. Stick by the coach and ride out the bumps.
We need to stop looking in the rear view mirror of the past 20 years and look ahead to next week. You might actually see the pot holes coming and be able to brace for them instead of losing your $hit when you spill your coffee in your lap because you're oblivious to whats ahead.

Don't waste your time.

We were a different side without Williams who was taking intercept marks in the corridor and uses the ball better than most.

Eddie's injury stopped our most dangerous forward and the move of weitering forward was about 10 minutes too late.

Still had we taken our chances better(SPS, Newnes,  fisher x2, owies x2, martin left foot snap, tdk) you know the gettable ones we'd have changed the game significantly enough.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #95
Would it have made a difference? Hasn't so far in 20 years. Player motivation comes from within and only peer pressure will drive it. Coach can only encourage. Teague has actually the 2nd best record here by far (low bar admittedly but some bigger names have gone worse). The players did this to Ratten, round 22, 2012, when they lost to a depleted Gold Coast, 2nd bottom, showing little effort, when we need to win to get into the 8. It stamped Ratten's papers and we have regretted that move ever since. He was the one who at least got something out of us, even though our bad culture, which showed up in that game. Players don't have the will to be a good side. Haven't for 20 years.
Good Post, both Ratten and Teague were/have been let down by their playing group and there seems some common culture trait
we cant shake in terms of consistent application for a length of time. This feeling that we played a good game last week so we can just rock up and the same players will carry the day again.
A common complaint from supporters on this site and others is you cant trust the team from week to week...games we should win even with injuries we turn up half ar$ed then games vs better teams we will turn up competitive and usually only lose through poor kicking for goal but the effort was there.
Imagine trying to coach that..I think Cookie made a good point about leadership. Not enough players want to own what happens on the field and sacrifice and I'd be moving on these inconsistent effort merchants who cant seem to self motivate themselves.

Reply #96
Don't waste your time.

We were a different side without Williams who was taking intercept marks in the corridor and uses the ball better than most.

Eddie's injury stopped our most dangerous forward and the move of weitering forward was about 10 minutes too late.

Still had we taken our chances better(SPS, Newnes,  fisher x2, owies x2, martin left foot snap, tdk) you know the gettable ones we'd have changed the game significantly enough.

It’s all excuses mate. Every year it’s a new one.

Yes we have injures but seriously a side who still had a small chance to play finals and then to lose the way we did to the bottom placed side is never acceptable if we are really a team that is close to making finals.

If we lost by a goal or 2 maybe missing players could have been the difference but not the way we lost today.

We again will be front and centre media wise and fair enough too. If Essendon or Collingwood performed the way we have this year we will be sh1tcanning them like there is no tomorrow.

Essendon have had a heap of injuries to key personnel yet they are on the verge of making the 8. How come injuries hasn’t stopped them this season from performing to expectations like it has us.

It’s sad that as a supporter base we are so accustomed to losing that we roll out the excuses before we even play the bloody game.

If we were in year 1 or 2 of the rebuild some of the excuses may be valid not in year 6 and if we really want to be respected never to the bottom team.

Reply #97

I understand your point of view.  Probably I would agree with it if we had put up brief resistance and then had been blown away from late in the first quarter.

But we were ahead at half time.  And then we had to watch the bottom side kick 7 goals to none in the third quarter.  That's what upsets supporters.  Clearly no player was injured during the halftime break so what are we to make of such a humiliating display?

We did the same a week or two ago in the third quarter and I remember wondering then what had happened during the halftime break.

Kruddler, I know the injury list, but what is going on between the ears?  We have a whole team stand by and become spectators for a quarter for no apparent physical reason.

It's just not on.  Carlton supporters deserve better.

Reply #98
I understand your point of view.  Probably I would agree with it if we had put up brief resistance and then had been blown away from late in the first quarter.

But we were ahead at half time.  And then we had to watch the bottom side kick 7 goals to none in the third quarter.  That's what upsets supporters.  Clearly no player was injured during the halftime break so what are we to make of such a humiliating display?

We did the same a week or two ago in the third quarter and I remember wondering then what had happened during the halftime break.

Kruddler, I know the injury list, but what is going on between the ears?  We have a whole team stand by and become spectators for a quarter for no apparent physical reason.

It's just not on.  Carlton supporters deserve better.

So you choose an arbitrary time that we should be able to match it with them until we are blown away (the first quarter) which would be somewhat acceptable. We stay with them for longer than that.....and you complain?
Interesting logic there. Bit backwards if you ask me.

Re injured during half time break....
Not really true. Williams got.injured in the last minute of the first half. I noticed it at the time. He was subbed out at half time.
Eddie betts got injured late in the 2nd quarter. Had Williams not been injured betts wouldve been subbed out imo. He did nothing for the rest of the game and couldn't walk afterwards.
So that's 2. Enough to make a difference.
TBH, when I saw eddies ankle I thought to myself this might be the last time we see him in navy blue...ever. I don't think he'll play next week.

As for why we dropped our bundle...perhaps the above 2 were simply the straw that broke the camels back. You can only deal with so many hits before it all catches up with you. I thought Harry the out was the final straw. I was surprised how well we held up last week, and the week before....but north were on the ball and could smell blood and put in 4 quarters  unlike the last 2 opponents.

Reply #99
Given the turnover of players we have had in the last 5-6 years let alone the last 20, how does this "culture" or mindset of players not playing for the coach or getting up for important game manifest itself over such a long period of time across multiple coaches? 95% of this forum knew, or was fairly confident, we would lose yesterday even before H was an out. I am of the opinion that despite the outs, we had the talent on the park to beat NM and yet...
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #101
Having McKay wouldn't have stopped North streaming through the middle countless times under no pressure.  
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #102
Given the turnover of players we have had in the last 5-6 years let alone the last 20, how does this "culture" or mindset of players not playing for the coach or getting up for important game manifest itself over such a long period of time across multiple coaches? 95% of this forum knew, or was fairly confident, we would lose yesterday even before H was an out. I am of the opinion that despite the outs, we had the talent on the park to beat NM and yet...
It is something that pervades in the club. Unless you get rid of 40 players and most of everyone else it's gets ingrained and "handed down". It's can get entrenched into a club.

Took the likes of Richmond 30 odd years to rid themselves of it, sacking how many coaches in the process. Even the great Allan Jeans couldn't do anything with that club and gave that one up.pretty quick. Neither could Robert Walls. If a culture is poor a coach can be helpless.

Reply #103

Spot on. And who knows what is going on behind closed doors at PP. Weiters and Stocks both looked 'out of sorts' yesterday. Totally out of character for Weiters and I'm not going to try to speculate why.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #104
Like many others I wasn’t surprised at what we saw yesterday and the two most important that need to be fully explored by the current review are list management and strength and conditioning.

We entered the year with no third ruck, no key defence backups (we’ve actually been very very lucky here) and no back capable of playing on pacy small forwards. We’ve also invested an extraordinary amount of the salary cap in very few, which will get worse when we sign Walsh.

Our strength and conditioning is so far off the pace it’s not funny, and if Teague is to be sacked it should be for continually expressing faith in our “high performance” strength and conditioning team - surely Teague understands that it’s him or the fitness team that is going to go??? If not, that’s a bigger concern.

We can’t accept the lack of durability across our playing group over the past 2-3 years and we’ve got some structural issues to balance player payments across our list which means that our bottom 5-6 are not afl standard every time our injury list hits 5 or more.

Adding to all of the above, we’ll never get anywhere running out with the likes of all Casboult, Setterfield, Murphy, Plowman, Newnes, Newman, E Curnow, McDonald - all of them just aren’t up to it.

Of players with currency I’d be moving on McGovern (mistake) & SPS during the trade period.

A bit to do.