Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 1 Carlton vs Geelong (Read 1782 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 1 Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #30
Yep, Cats flooded back well. No smarts going inside 50.

Reply #31
Final Siren.

Geelong 12.13.85
Carlton 10.9.69

Reply #32
Dow's had 30...22 of them handballs.

Reply #33
Dow was seriously good
Chris Judd in VFL and Jack Spud in AFL - why the huge gap in output?

Carroll was good I thought - his toughness and decision making is excellent.

Jaxon Binns showed alot

Reply #34
The dynasty teams of recent times tend to do well at VFL level as well as the seniors. Plenty of improvement left for us at both levels IMO, but certainly the VFL quality needs a fair bit of work IMO.

Reply #35
Watched most of the game online.

Cats kicked 5.3 before we had barely got the ball into F50, and the margin stayed in the 20s until the last quarter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was similar last week against the Tiggers where we were a long way behind at the start.  I think there's a focus point during training next week - switch on from the first bounce!

Dow is too good for VFL.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #36
Lemmey looks a prospect and I like Cincottas defensive work and how he shepherds for teammates and does the 1% ers.
Dow got plenty of ball but is still playing U18 footy ie doesn't do enough when he hasn't got the ball and disappears when the other team have momentum.

Reply #37
Lemmey looks a prospect and I like Cincottas defensive work and how he shepherds for teammates and does the 1% ers.
Dow got plenty of ball but is still playing U18 footy ie doesn't do enough when he hasn't got the ball and disappears when the other team have momentum.
I dont see Dow as a Judd type player who will pick a team up and carry it on his shoulders. I do see him however as a very good soldier with enough grunt, not super pretty but good enough. Again, like the question I posed earlier, who would he, along with Walsh and George,  displace?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #38
I dont see Dow as a Judd type player who will pick a team up and carry it on his shoulders. I do see him however as a very good soldier with enough grunt, not super pretty but good enough. Again, like the question I posed earlier, who would he, along with Walsh and George,  displace?

Especially with Edward C showing he can fill the breach in their absence.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
Dom Akuei (shakes his head at the possibilities of what might be, but probably never will) ::)
Mark of the year one minute and easy fumble in the backline shortly after.

Reply #40
Dow was good from what I could see.

He wasn't on his pat malone when it came to hunting the man after the footy.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #41
Considering who we played, I think we should have done better. We have a very young list, but this is about as good as gets for us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #42
Dow was good from what I could see.

He wasn't on his pat malone when it came to hunting the man after the footy.
Look at the Nth game last week and Uniacke Davies who was Dows main rival at U18 level.....had a similar struggling start to his career and looked like a dud waiting for the axe to fall but is now playing like a senior footballer unlike Dow who is still delivering U18's football output.
32 possessions last week, 19 contested, 5 tackles and looks like a senior player who is no longer a kid but has taken on the responsibility of being a leader in Norths midfield and can be trusted to perform.
Unfortunately Paddy is still doing what he did in the U18s and hasnt progressed his game, I thought Greg Williams was harsh but fair in his comments a while back and Paddy has to grow up and get more intense about his footy, learn that playing onball also includes finding your way down to the backline and keeping an eye on your opponent because his average ball use doesnt allow him a free pass in terms of being a one way runner only and he has to make up for those shortcomings by  working as a two way player as he isnt good enough to live purely off his offensive work.

Reply #43
Look at the Nth game last week and Uniacke Davies who was Dows main rival at U18 level.....had a similar struggling start to his career and looked like a dud waiting for the axe to fall but is now playing like a senior footballer unlike Dow who is still delivering U18's football output.
32 possessions last week, 19 contested, 5 tackles and looks like a senior player who is no longer a kid but has taken on the responsibility of being a leader in Norths midfield and can be trusted to perform.
Unfortunately Paddy is still doing what he did in the U18s and hasnt progressed his game, I thought Greg Williams was harsh but fair in his comments a while back and Paddy has to grow up and get more intense about his footy, learn that playing onball also includes finding your way down to the backline and keeping an eye on your opponent because his average ball use doesnt allow him a free pass in terms of being a one way runner only and he has to make up for those shortcomings by  working as a two way player as he isnt good enough to live purely off his offensive work.

Yep. I actually don't think he's a midfielder, more a high half-forward though minding his opponent would be a challenge! Maybe backline... he'll learn hardness there (with some other side!).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #44
Just keep Dow in our VFL set up just like we did with Parks whats it going to hurt? No club is going to pick him up he is going to be dominating the VFL next 10 years