Skip to main content
Topic: Round 14 - Giants defeat Blues - after match summary (Read 39729 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 14 - Giants defeat Blues - after match summary

Reply #105
Tanking.

As emtwenty  points out elsewhere Judd was rotated off the ground with  2 mins to go and didnt come back.

I admit I was surprised to see Yarran and Menzel sitting down with a few minutes to go, probably two of the few players we've got who could kick a couple of goals in a hurry.
But do I think we're tanking? - no.

I know warnock was ordinary, but I think Cas took the last few minutes as well.

It's an old statement but when you want to change the game you have your best players around the ball, we didn't.

The only way you can get away with tanking is if you don't tell the players.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #106
Our skills by both hand and foot are simply awful.
We get killed from our turnovers week in week out.

I been saying that for years
Supporters should not fall in love with these players.
Its like horse racing...we have take poor horses off to stud or pasture...

Reply #107

So they didn't tell the players to miss tackles, kick over their team mates head, handball to GWS or at players boots, stand and watch while the opposition attacked the ball or generally play like school girls?
You mean the players did all that on their own initiative?????
Jesus wept.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #108

So they didn't tell the players to miss tackles, kick over their team mates head, handball to GWS or at players boots, stand and watch while the opposition attacked the ball or generally play like school girls?
Jesus wept.

Yep.

It's easy to be bad without direction.

Murph could be in on it, but I doubt anyone else would.

That late withdrawal is suss.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #109
lacklustre
ˈlaklʌstə/
adjective
adjective: lacklustre; adjective: lackluster; adjective: lack-lustre; adjective: lack-luster

lacking in vitality, force, or conviction; uninspired or uninspiring.
    "no excuses were made for the team's lacklustre performance"
    synonyms:   uninspired, uninspiring, unimaginative, dull, humdrum, colourless, characterless, bland, insipid, vapid, flat, dry, lifeless, listless, tame, tired, prosaic, mundane, run-of-the-mill, commonplace, spiritless, lustreless, apathetic, torpid, unanimated

Hit. Nail. Head.
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #110

Yep.

I'd love to believe it, but I don't.
Which is tough, because it means we really are that bad.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #111
But we will smurfy because Mick won't drop any of those three and there is no pace in the two's with Bucks injured. The only outside run is Lucas and well, we've seen enough there haven't we?

Face it, our list structure is screwing diabolical.  No young rucks, no pacy mids, no young KP players.

it was only a few years ago, we were touted as the fastest mid in the comp - seems like an eternity

Reply #112
Our skills by both hand and foot are simply awful.
We get killed from our turnovers week in week out.

Did you see the stats on the screen during the first quarter, that showed at the time GWS had scored 3 of their 4 goals from Carlton turnovers. Unbelievable.

That sort of stat surely can't be blamed on the coach (for those who are blaming him)?

As others have said, the trio of Carrazzo, McLean & Curnow cannot play in the same team.....each of them may be tackling & contested footy machines, but if the ball gets on the outside, we are dead in the water.

Btw - is it folly to suggest that Warnock should be dropped for Wood? I can't handle another week of Warnock lumbering around doing feck all.....I really can't.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #113
There's no question that some players are more skillful than others, but at this level, not executing basic skills is between the ears stuff. Did anyone watch Port last season ? They couldn't handball to a teammate standing 5m away. Skills were worse than ours. Now they look slick as all get out.

Reply #114

Jesus wept.

Yep.

Melbourne, Brisbane, Richmond tell us the team is well capable of performance s like that without anyone looking to lose.

Maybe we threw it but the loss isn't an anomaly.

Reply #115

Others you could mount a reasonable case for would be White, Robinson, Curnow and Ellard.

Curnow no doubt. White no doubt but he's just gone from crap to suck.

Ellard, Robbo are clearly worse IMO.

Reply #116
We were again shown a lesson in th4e stakes of old hacks v young kids with skill playing the modern game together. We have far too many hacks on our list, and that played on Sunday, and the Giants simply had too many kids with skill, class, poise, pace and hunger.

Id like to see us rebuild of sorts. there are a number of blokes id trade out and/or delist. I know MM says we wont cut deep but gee that was again just simply deplorable and embarrassing. We are playing slow, selfish, out of touch football with blokes who are simply either past it or not up to it. Not all of them but a large chunk IMHO!

If we had any sense of the future we'd be chasing Kristian Jaksch and Tim Membrey hard for a start. We'd be trading up in the ND position of picks. We'd be hunting a number of midfielders also.

Reply #117
WTF has happened with Lachie Henderson? Seriously, what is going on with this guy? The "Oh - but he missed a massive chunk of the pre-season" excuse no longer cuts it @ round 14......something's gotten into this guy's head & he simpy hasn't got a clue or the desire out there at the monent & it's hurting us. He's a deadset witches hat right now.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #118
WTF has happened with Lachie Henderson? Seriously, what is going on with this guy? The "Oh - but he missed a massive chunk of the pre-season" excuse no longer cuts it @ round 14......something's gotten into this guy's head & he simpy hasn't got a clue or the desire out there at the monent & it's hurting us. He's a deadset witches hat right now.

Yep...it's getting a bit late now for the pre-season argument.
It's probably time for him to go back to defence....or out for a rest (plays like he's still injured).

By the same token there was a bit of a difference between the GWS delivery to Patton and the Carlton delivery to Henderson.

Reply #119
But you have to run to position and attack the ball with intent.  And chase when they rebound with it across half back....
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?