Skip to main content
Topic: RD 18 : Blues Stun Kangaroos (Final Siren Shock) (Read 52472 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 18 : Blues Stun Kangaroos (Final Siren Shock)

Reply #120
What is the latest on the injuries to Menzel and Everitt respectively?

Everitt has a PCL and may only miss two or three games given we have a bye next weekend.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
Finally got to watch the game today and I must say that was the best effort I've seen from the boys in quite some time. They played out the full game, the mistakes were greatly reduced and they contained a strong surge from the North in the 2Q and 3Q, kept their nerve and ran out a convincing win. Confidence booster no doubt.

Much has been posted already but yes I liked Wood game in ruck and Graham, who I am yet to be convinced by, did some very nice things - both should be retained against Freo, although Sandi would be a handful for Wood (as he would be for Warnock come to think of it). Anyhow, I'd roll the dice with those two.

Judd looked very fresh and was excellent along with the old firm of Simmo, Murph and Gibbs (who looks like a new man!). Waite and Hendo also good. In fact I noticed Waite doing a bit of defensive work too which will no doubt please MM and ensure his retention.

Let's see how we go in the west next game first but maybe a few green shoots appearing?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #122
Is it a coincidence that with Warnock, Walker and McLean missing, we were sharper with the ball and able to spread the best of the year? We were cleaner off half back and kicked with confidence to packs, Simmo moved back behind the ball and look what happens.

Reply #123
Is it a coincidence that with Warnock, Walker and McLean missing, we were sharper with the ball and able to spread the best of the year? We were cleaner off half back and kicked with confidence to packs, Simmo moved back behind the ball and look what happens.

I was certainly thinking our midfield looked sharper and quicker without Brock Ray. He is very slow to get to the ball and that significantly reduces our capacity to contest and tackle. Graham should be given his chance now.

Walker always looks better forward to me anyway and that's where I think we should focus him for the future. I need to see Wood play well for a few more games before I would write off Warnock.

Reply #124

I was certainly thinking our midfield looked sharper and quicker without Brock Ray. He is very slow to get to the ball and that significantly reduces our capacity to contest and tackle. Graham should be given his chance now.

Walker always looks better forward to me anyway and that's where I think we should focus him for the future. I need to see Wood play well for a few more games before I would write off Warnock.

Seriously it doesn't matter about the ruck for the rest of the year. I'm just praying for a fully fit Kruezer, Warnock is not the answer, in fact he is a liability. When the ball was kicked to Wood in the forward 50 I expected him to mark it. Anytime Warnock marks the ball I am genuinely surprised. That shouldn't happen with ruckmen nowdays, Cox and Stynes broke the mold some years ago, the plodding ruckman is a dinosaur, Warnock should be extinct.

Reply #125
Not sure Graham has much more pace than Brock, and Wood may well be slower than Warnock.

I did notice that from HB we were not bombing the ball as much, we were far more patient and considered in our use of the ball. I think this is where 1AW isn't well suited to the HBF, he tends to see ball, get ball, bomb ball. I think opposition know this and tend to drag him deep as a result, I'd rather see him used up the ground pushing forward to get him within scoring range and leave the back-line pressure stuff to cooler heads.

Perhaps 1AW needs to be in the forward rotation with Yarran!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #126
This is probably not the right place for this question, but ....

When Petrie was tackled and he was trying to avoid going through for a point and wanting the boundary line, why wasn't he pinged for holding the ball?  He was making absolutely no attempt to get rid of the ball he was simply aiming to get to the boundary.

Reply #127
@Raydan

Agree about Kreuzer, he is a better option IMO than Warnock on his day but all I'm saying is that we should have a backup in case of problems. If Wood goes OK then he could be it and we should look for a project ruck in the draft/trade periods. However, we shouldn't write off i.e. trade out Warnock until we see how that all works out.

Reply #128
@Raydan

Agree about Kreuzer, he is a better option IMO than Warnock on his day but all I'm saying is that we should have a backup in case of problems. If Wood goes OK then he could be it and we should look for a project ruck in the draft/trade periods. However, we shouldn't write off i.e. trade out Warnock until we see how that all works out.

Agree we need backups.

But when I read these comments I can't help but think the poster is hanging onto Warnock winning tap outs as some sort of plus, in reality it is a mirage!

Trade Warnock and then draft and trade for another two, a 18 year old and a 30 year old. We need a younger ruck who is 4 or 5 years in the system before they mature, and we need a mature ruck because rucks get injured so often, that is four on the list at all times!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129

Seriously it doesn't matter about the ruck for the rest of the year. I'm just praying for a fully fit Kruezer, Warnock is not the answer, in fact he is a liability. When the ball was kicked to Wood in the forward 50 I expected him to mark it. Anytime Warnock marks the ball I am genuinely surprised. That shouldn't happen with ruckmen nowdays, Cox and Stynes broke the mold some years ago, the plodding ruckman is a dinosaur, Warnock should be extinct.

x2 on Warnock.....Wood puts his arms up straight to mark and gets full extension, a lot of Warnocks marks are attempted with bent arms and he never looks in good position.
He is extinct IMO and you cant have ruckman who can only tap the ball, they have to be able to play forward and provide a threat....

Reply #130
@Raydan

Agree we need backups.

But when I read these comments I can't help but think the poster is hanging onto Warnock winning tap outs as some sort of plus, in reality it is a mirage!

Trade Warnock and then draft and trade for another two, a 18 year old and a 30 year old. We need a younger ruck who is 4 or 5 years in the system before they mature, and we need a mature ruck because rucks get injured so often, that is four on the list at all times!

Bring back Hampson then eh LP? He's not getting a game at the Tiges ATM.  ;)

Reply #131
Bring back Hampson then eh LP? He's not getting a game at the Tiges ATM.  ;)

Even Nthmond understand you need at least four rucks, they would have been stuffed for the first 11 rounds of this season if they hadn't traded for Hampson. You can bag Hampson, but that says more about yourself, Hampson was the 2nd choice for the Nthmond 1st ruck ahead of all except Maric, and Maric would be our 1st choice as well!

FYI, they have six rucks(All rucks as juniors, who played part-time KPP.), three of which double as KPPs in Maric(200cm), Hampson(201cm), Griffiths(200cm), Vickery(200cm), McBean(202) and Stephenson(200cm). Certainly you can only play two, but when they get injured they get value from the spares!

You can make light of the ruck debate, but the club is going to have it like it or not!

By comparison we have been hamstrung by the lack of options!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
Wood was smashed in the ruck. Was good around the ground though. He ain't the solution but definitely keep him on the list.

If warnock has currency, trade him, if not retain. Will be interesting to see if anything happens with kruezer

Reply #133
@LP
Steady on mate, your reading things that aren't there again.

But your saying we're very short of ruck options but at the same time we should get rid of one of the few we have?  ::)

Reply #134
@LP
Steady on mate, your reading things that aren't there again.

But your saying we're very short of ruck options but at the same time we should get rid of one of the few we have?  ::)

I'm saying trade out one who has some currency for nuffas who think the tap is everything, and then bring in two, drafting one 18 year old and a trade late for an older backup!
The Force Awakens!