Skip to main content
Topic: RD 18 : Blues Stun Kangaroos (Final Siren Shock) (Read 52474 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 18 : Blues Stun Kangaroos (Final Siren Shock)

Reply #150
A bit late with my take, but here it is anyway....

Carlton supporters went nuts in the last quarter on Friday night – a lot of relief that this mob can actually play......most complete game we’ve played for a long time. Goes to show how much the game is played above the shoulders.

Waite – said to my mate before the game started when I saw Waite out there “He’ll never get a better opportunity to show he belongs at this level & in this team....” and he duly delivered. Has he ever played a more complete game? Saving mark in defence, then not 3 mins later he’s on the end of a terrific bit of play for a goal....brilliant stuff. Watching the replay, he was clearly enjoying the win. When Hendo took a mark to line up for his 6th, you could clearly see Waite in the background yell out “Wooooo!!!” twice, then after the game he was yelling it out again as the players came together on the ground. Says to me he desperately wants to remain both an AFL player.....and a Carlton one at that. What he needs to do though is follow that performance up with something similar this week. No point making this his one grand performance of the year.

Gibbs – no longer can be accused of being an outside mid, his grunt work right now is beyond belief, cracks in as hard as Joel Selwood & his finishing in front of goal.....no-one snaps better than Bryce right now. Travelling as well as any player in the AFL right now.

Murph – worked his way into the game, with Gibbs’ form enabling Murph to get off the chain a lot more. His kicking can still be a bit iffy at times, but geez me moves smoothly when he has the ball in his hands and gut runs. Would like to see him hit the scoreboard a lot more though.

Yazz – silk, pure silk. Though his kicking was a bit hit ‘n miss for the first few rounds this year, but right now it is elite.

Wood – Robbie who? Big Robbie would’ve been most uncomfortable watching Big Cam on Friday night. Although generally beaten in the hitouts, his work around the ground was second-to-none as far as ruckmen go. Numerous marks, 2 shots on goal, used the ball well & usually in good field position during general play.....what more can you ask? Goldstein did sweet FA around the ground.

Rowe – thought he’d match-up well with Petrie on the drive in to the game, as they’re both of similar builds & Rowe duly obliterated him. His turnaround in form & confidence as the year has progressed is both astounding & outstanding. That defensive set-up of Rowe-White-Jamo-Tuohy-Yarran-Simmo is actually fairly competitive.

Hendo – that was 100% the Hendo I remember from last year – let’s hope he finishes off the season strongly.

Graham – how good was that goal!? Not just the sublime finish (and celebration!!!), but the bump on Goldstein (and recovery) to assist Simmo. Everitt’s injury was a blessing in disguise for Nick, who I reckon more than showed he belongs at this level.

Docherty – more than a handy player isn’t he? Got a real touch of class about him & a really good get for this Club.

Curnow – I got concerned about halfway through the game about this bloke. Boomer hadn’t been prominent, but had kicked 2 & set up another couple, whilst Ed seemed to be struggling & that shot for goal was a shocker.....but then by game’s end Harvey hadn’t had a sniff in the 2nd half = comprehensive Curnow win.....and a big tick.

Need to mention Casboult......his stats weren’t great – however, what he does do is that his now enhanced reputation as a serious offensive threat in the air means he gets serious defensive attention = the likes of Hendo & Waite get less = Hendo kicks 6, Waite kicks 4. If Waite stays on course, then we’ve got ourselves a seriously potent forward line in Waite-Casboult-Hendo.

Not sure what to make of Daisy’s game. More ‘meh’ than anything else. His defensive pressure is excellent, I'll give him that, but needs to get more involved. Thought Bell played a good, tough, running midfielder’s game, but geez – Ellard is just a plodder & nothing more.....

Despite having 4 kicked on him, thought Tuohy’s game was good. Thomas got a couple of his usual cheapies (I can’t stand him), but Tuohy seems to be rediscovering his attacking flair, which I love & is important to this team.

It's a tough gig next week (or week after to be exact), but the challenge is there......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #151
Essendon play one ruckman... 196cm Paddy Ryder , he seems to get the footy about 20 times a game, had 35 hitouts or close to it vs Will Minson(AA last year)on the weekend, kicked 2 goals and was one of the best of the ground.
I'd rather a ruckman who can get the footy and be useful in more than one area of the game...like Ryder.

If anyone can maker a case for a stiff like Warnock who cannot contribute in other fashion other than tap outs the let me know.....

It's not an issue of making a case for Warnock EB, more about not denuding our ruck stocks before we've properly assessed all available options. Kreuzer has been injury prone and many on here have their reservations about him anyway. Wood has still to prove himself over sustained appearances. All other current options are second stringers at best. A young kid would be unlikely to deliver for several years. Going to the market is fraught with uncertainty. I'm making a case for being prudent.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #152
Reckon there might be a coaching issue as he was nabbing a reasonable number at Freo. Like MK, they found out the body contact issue and it was all over and we could never help these guys out in overcoming it

Warnock's been a church mouse since Corey Enright punched him in the side of the head, took almost a day for the effects to register! :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #153
Reckon there might be a coaching issue as he was nabbing a reasonable number at Freo. Like MK, they found out the body contact issue and it was all over and we could never help these guys out in overcoming it

That is so true re the body contact issue and also positional sense as well. May even have something to do with reading the flight of the ball but these two are just plain awful. Warnock is worse than the Kreuz however. Either way it's a glaring deficiency to have as a ruckman.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #154
Is it a coincidence that with Warnock, Walker and McLean missing, we were sharper with the ball and able to spread the best of the year? We were cleaner off half back and kicked with confidence to packs, Simmo moved back behind the ball and look what happens.

I was certainly thinking our midfield looked sharper and quicker without Brock Ray. He is very slow to get to the ball and that significantly reduces our capacity to contest and tackle. Graham should be given his chance now.

Walker always looks better forward to me anyway and that's where I think we should focus him for the future. I need to see Wood play well for a few more games before I would write off Warnock.

Seriously it doesn't matter about the ruck for the rest of the year. I'm just praying for a fully fit Kruezer, Warnock is not the answer, in fact he is a liability. When the ball was kicked to Wood in the forward 50 I expected him to mark it. Anytime Warnock marks the ball I am genuinely surprised. That shouldn't happen with ruckmen nowdays, Cox and Stynes broke the mold some years ago, the plodding ruckman is a dinosaur, Warnock should be extinct.

Unbelievable a 206cm guy has had 14 marks for the year... The Year!
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #155
That is so true re the body contact issue and also positional sense as well. May even have something to do with reading the flight of the ball but these two are just plain awful. Warnock is worse than the Kreuz however. Either way it's a glaring deficiency to have as a ruckman.

Kreuzer is not shy of body contact, except perhaps being cautious when he flies for a mark which is possibly understandable given his leg injury history.

At ground level Kreuzer around ruck contests and stoppages Kreuzer is as physical as any in the competition, ask Darren Jolly or the bulk of the Sydney Swans!

Warnock is timid just about everywhere, so much so opposition rucks now take advantage of it to put him out of the contest!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #156
It felt nice having ruckman that actually looked like taking a mark for once. Haven't had one since Sauce.

Hopefully he can do it again Carrots.

I remember the pre-season game against North Melbourne and he was very similar. Marking alot and kicked a couple of goals including the clincher, for what it's worth in a pre-season game. A Collingwood mate told me he had talent but at the time was also young. Reckons now he's mature he'll be good. I'll happily lose a few taps to gain alot around the ground. It's like adding an extra player even if Wood is no superstar. We won the clearances anyway.

Reply #157
Kreuzer is not shy of body contact, except perhaps being cautious when he flies for a mark which is possibly understandable given his leg injury history.

Yeah not saying he's trying to avoid it there's no questioning the man's courage, what I'm saying is he doesn't seem to be able to deal with ie. he's knocked off balance too easily. He needs to initiate contact himself and make some space to run and jump at the ball. Until he learns how to do this it will be much the same IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #158
I thought he held his own in the ruck, and some of his hitouts were more to advantage than Warnock.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #159
For all of the crape-canning posts about 206, what's the betting he's still on our books next year for whatever reason?

Reply #160
For all of the crape-canning posts about 206, what's the betting he's still on our books next year for whatever reason?

Even money!

If Wood and Kreuzer are fit and healthy whats the chance of 206 getting a game next season, who will he displace Rowe, Casboult??? Tell him he's dreaming!

Maybe 206 can be the veteran backup for the regulars? ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #161
Hendo very, very, very slowly turning the wheel. The Waite inclusion didn't do any harm but you've been seeing ever so slow progress in the right direction. Hopefully it results in a strong end to the season.

Reply #162

Even money!

If Wood and Kreuzer are fit and healthy whats the chance of 206 getting a game next season, who will he displace Rowe, Casboult??? Tell him he's dreaming!

Maybe 206 can be the veteran backup for the regulars? ;)

Couple of VERY BIG ifs there mate!  ;)

Reply #163
The guy has no stamina and is a rake. Why does his day not consist entirely of eating, not like it will impact his ability to run out games.

Reply #164
Couple of VERY BIG ifs there mate!  ;)

Care to analyse games played out of possible games played for both Warnock and Kreuzer, want to take a guess?

I'll give you the answer.

Warnock has played 65% of possible games and Kreuzer  has played 72%.

Lets not have perceptions distort reality! ;)
The Force Awakens!