Skip to main content
Topic: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm! (Read 80049 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm!

Reply #75

K Rudd has just retired!!! :))

Thank f**k for that, untrustworthy little prick.

This thread reads like the old Fremantle Workers Club at 11pm on a Friday night, Wharfies loaded up on amber fluid pitting for the downfall of their arch enemy.

The majority of the voting populace has voted and they opted for a change.

At least the vote wasn't made by the cash grabbing obscure Independents of the house.

That comment reads like someone loaded up on single malt whiskey at the Melbourne Club. ;)

That probably highlights the problems in any political debate.
To many generalisations and stereotypes.

There's a refusal by both sides to recognise strengths and weaknesses on the other side of the political fence.
It's a natural thing but it's strange how some of the most passionate of supporters of individual freedom and thought are so dismissive of the views of others.

It's why these things never end in agreement.....but they're funny to read. :D

If we all start agreeing with each other, LODS, things will become very boring very quickly... but in the spirit of your post, I did applaud the Howard governments initiative in including psychologists under MediCare (for rebates etc). And it was the Labor govt that reduced this initiative... disgraceful.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #76
It would be boring if everybody agreed on political views. 

Here's one I believe in. They're all morons. 

There we go.  ;D

Reply #77

This thread reads like the old Fremantle Workers Club at 11pm on a Friday night, Wharfies loaded up on amber fluid pitting for the downfall of their arch enemy.

At least the vote wasn't made by the cash grabbing obscure Independents of the house.

That comment reads like someone loaded up on single malt whiskey at the Melbourne Club. ;)

There's a refusal by both sides to recognise strengths and weaknesses on the other side of the political fence.
It's a natural thing but it's strange how some of the most passionate of supporters of individual freedom and thought are so dismissive of the views of others.

If we all start agreeing with each other, LODS, things will become very boring very quickly... but in the spirit of your post, I did applaud the Howard governments initiative in including psychologists under MediCare (for rebates etc). And it was the Labor govt that reduced this initiative... disgraceful.

I think it's things like Politics and Religion....and of course Football :D where folks are usually pretty inflexible.
We have set points of view early on and it's difficult to accept an opposing viewpoint and give credit where it's due.
I'm not immune to that and have been particularly conflicted at times.
For most of my career I was involved in union activity, fighting for better working conditions.
I was a union representative and at one time a vice president of our particular branch...yet I've probably voted conservative at a federal level more than I've voted for the ALP over the years.

While that gives me a degree of impartiality it also has presented a conflict at times.
Tony Abbott doesn't inspire me to any great extent. I'd much prefer Turnbull, just as I'd prefer Albanese to Shorten (although he was pretty good in parliament today ;)).....but to dismiss Abbott as a dill, as some seem ready to do, is way off the mark.
Forget the  rest........You don't get to be where he is unless you're a very good politician.
Better than any of us who criticise him!
Whatever you might think about Hawke, Keating, Howard, Rudd and Gillard (and all those before them) they were all "politically" very good.

They developed contacts and support networks that enabled them to assume power...
And being a good 'politician' is the name of the game, because unless you have the power, you don't have the ability to really change things.

Reply #78

I think it's things like Politics and Religion....and of course Football :D where folks are usually pretty inflexible.
We have set points of view early on and it's difficult to accept an opposing viewpoint and give credit where it's due.
I'm not immune to that and have been particularly conflicted at times.
For most of my career I was involved in union activity, fighting for better working conditions.
I was a union representative and at one time a vice president of our particular branch...yet I've probably voted conservative at a federal level more than I've voted for the ALP over the years.

While that gives me a degree of impartiality it also has presented a conflict at times.
Tony Abbott doesn't inspire me to any great extent. I'd much prefer Turnbull, just as I'd prefer Albanese to Shorten (although he was pretty good in parliament today ;)).....but to dismiss Abbott as a dill, as some seem ready to do, is way off the mark.
Forget the  rest........You don't get to be where he is unless you're a very good politician.
Better than any of us who criticise him!
Whatever you might think about Hawke, Keating, Howard, Rudd and Gillard (and all those before them) they were all "politically" very good.

They developed contacts and support networks that enabled them to assume power...
And being a good 'politician' is the name of the game, because unless you have the power, you don't have the ability to really change things.

LODS! WTF... how dare you be so balanced, reasonable, fair and intelligent!

In all seriousness it would seem that when it comes to voting we are similar, though I would label myself a moderate/swinging voter. In my time on planet Earth I think I've voted for everyone except the Sex Party - next time!

You argue, very reasonably, that you cannot be a dill to get to the top job - agree. You do need to be a good politician, as you write... but what does being a 'good politician' really mean? To me, a 'good politician' is likely a ruthless, power thirsty, shrewd, highly intelligent, cunning and highly manipulative yet charming embarrassment who can deliver exactly what his backers and funders want (the wealthy elite). We should never mistake politicians as being the ones who really control this nation; any nation.

Reply #79
ruthless, power thirsty, shrewd, highly intelligent, cunning and highly manipulative yet charming embarrassment who can deliver exactly what his backers and funders want (the wealthy elite).

aren't these characteristics synonymous of sociopaths ?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #80
ruthless, power thirsty, shrewd, highly intelligent, cunning and highly manipulative yet charming embarrassment who can deliver exactly what his backers and funders want (the wealthy elite).

aren't these characteristics synonymous of sociopaths ?

Yep, and narcissists.

Important to understand that sociopaths and narcissists read so well (brilliantly) what people want ...and then know even better how to manipulate 'their wants' to support and validate 'credible' solutions.

Too much research has revealed that sociapathic and narcissistic management is very dominant, and effective... these people know how to manipulate perception...

How many humanitarian leaders have been assassinated? Many. Why?

How many sociopathic leaders have been assassinated? Very few. Why?

Reply #81
I'm really not interested in any specific political party but I've just watched the first episode of Keating on Iview. Can't wait for the remaining programs now - interviews conducted by Kerry O'Brien on ABC over the next 3 Tuesdays at 8:30pm.

Doesn't matter whether you like Keating or hate him, this is a fascinating insight into the mind and thinking of the powerful and of those who seek power - highly recommended viewing.

The anecdote I really liked was when Keating in his early days, incidentally whilst standing at the urinal in the gents toilets of old Parliament House, was approached by and then reproached by Jim Cairns for not wearing his Vietnam war moratorium sticker. Keating response was to say "That's the difference between you and me Jim, you're here to protest, I'm here to run the place".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #82
It would be boring if everybody agreed on political views. 

Here's one I believe in. They're all morons. 

There we go.  ;D

A man after my own heart.

Im happy to have a beer and talk politics with you anyday Gozza!

;D
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #83
I'm really not interested in any specific political party but I've just watched the first episode of Keating on Iview. Can't wait for the remaining programs now - interviews conducted by Kerry O'Brien on ABC over the next 3 Tuesdays at 8:30pm.

Doesn't matter whether you like Keating or hate him, this is a fascinating insight into the mind and thinking of the powerful and of those who seek power - highly recommended viewing.

The anecdote I really liked was when Keating in his early days, incidentally whilst standing at the urinal in the gents toilets of old Parliament House, was approached by and then reproached by Jim Cairns for not wearing his Vietnam war moratorium sticker. Keating response was to say "That's the difference between you and me Jim, you're here to protest, I'm here to run the place".

Thought it was fantastic.

Reply #85
I wonder how much commonwealth employee comcare and superannuation benefits are costing the federal government?

(and the previous one....)

Reply #86
People are living too long. This country cannot afford it. Seems that for my generation it's get to buggery and get on the best way you can, while the elderly are sapping our system dry of all its resources. Never met a more undeserving bunch tbh. 

Reply #87
People are living too long. This country cannot afford it. Seems that for my generation it's get to buggery and get on the best way you can, while the elderly are sapping our system dry of all its resources. Never met a more undeserving bunch tbh.

However, a lot of the current generation of geriatrics didn't have superannuation or own their own property... so when they retired they were straight on to the pension.

Reply #88

However, a lot of the current generation of geriatrics didn't have superannuation or own their own property... so when they retired they were straight on to the pension.

.....Which was funded by the taxes that were sapped from them having left school, often around 14/15 years old, because they couldn't afford to continue their education.
So for the next 50 years they contributed the taxes that provided the money for 'our' schools and 'our' health...and their retirement.
The elderly have more than paid their way. ;)

Reply #89

.....Which was funded by the taxes that were sapped from them having left school, often around 14/15 years old, because they couldn't afford to continue their education.
So for the next 50 years they contributed the taxes that provided the money for 'our' schools and 'our' health...and their retirement.
The elderly have more than paid their way. ;)

I wasn't having a crack at old people.

I was saying that many didn't have or opted not to have superannuation.

Now it is compulsory.