Skip to main content
Topic: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm! (Read 80051 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm!

Reply #105
If the GG comments on political matters, it's not tony Abbott who is damaged by it but the GG.

Reply #106
If the GG comments on political matters, it's not tony Abbott who is damaged by it but the GG.

It could be considered unbecoming... but if they aren't clearly criticizing the Government then they can pretty much do what they want.

The fact that she holds a Vice-Regal commission and is saying we should become a republic could suggest she probably shouldn't have accepted the commission in the first place.

Reply #107

So no freedom of speech here then!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110

So no freedom of speech here then!

How is this a freedom of speech issue?

I think LP is hoping that Abbott will sack the GG and face a backlash.

It won't happen.

The GG will likely see out the year (perhaps a little bit of next) and be replaced by someone of the Government's choosing.

My guess is that this has been arranged and this is why the GG is being more outspoken.

Reply #111
Sacking GG would only create division both in the electorate (because doing so would likely put republic issue squarely on the table) and in the liberal party itself as a platform for future leadership change  (Turnball's position on republic issue is well known).  Selfishly I hope they do sack her, even though she's done a fine job in office. They won't sack her, the basis for doing so would be highly doubtful and politically suicidal. She can't loose, she goes out (in retirement) with respect of majority Australians for her comments, and sets herself up beautifully for position of first president should the republic issue gain momentum. One can only hope.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #112
Why would they sack her when they could have just accepted her resignation?

Reply #113
Why would they sack her when they could have just accepted her resignation?

Wasn't suggesting they would. Was commenting on existing line of discussion relating to possibility of sacking her.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #114
I thought her comments were relevant, progressive and courageous - pretty good characteristics in a leader.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #115
I thought her comments were relevant, progressive and courageous - pretty good characteristics in a leader.

So says the electorate it seems, they like he son-in-law over Abbott!

The backlash we are seeing already in the polls is a clear indicator the electorate voted out the government, they did not vote anyone in!

Surely the Coalition must now concede they have Abbott of a problem?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116

So says the electorate it seems, they like he son-in-law over Abbott!

The backlash we are seeing already in the polls is a clear indicator the electorate voted out the government, they did not vote anyone in!

Surely the Coalition must now concede they have Abbott of a problem?

Lp

There is no backlash.

The only bad press has been generated by an anti abbott part of the media over something the last government did.

The ALP had its lowest vote since ww1, wasnt it?

Reply #117
Don't have a problem with Quentin Bryce holding the views she holds but to me it's somewhat hypocritical of someone with those republican views to hold an office so strongly associated with the monarchy. Makes me uneasy about her motives for taking on the role.

Also, having taken on such an apolitical role on she should not have expressed politically charged viewpoints until she'd left office - a bit of an abuse of privilege IMO.

Thought she was doing a very good job up until then.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #118
Australian monarchists have more of a problem with this than the Queen who clearly couldn't GAF.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #119
Don't have a problem with Quentin Bryce holding the views she holds but to me it's somewhat hypocritical of someone with those republican views to hold an office so strongly associated with the monarchy. Makes me uneasy about her motives for taking on the role.

Also, having taken on such an apolitical role on she should not have expressed politically charged viewpoints until she'd left office - a bit of an abuse of privilege IMO.

Thought she was doing a very good job up until then.

It seemed at first that Rudd was content to send her around the world garnering support for UN Security Council seat..... not a bad gig.