Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Casey at Casey Fields (Read 19497 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs. Casey at Casey Fields

Reply #45
A tackle that does not stop the opponent laying the ball off is ineffective, regardless of whether it was laid or not.

Can those even be called a tackle? Not in my book anyway.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
A tackle that does not stop the opponent laying the ball off is ineffective, regardless of whether it was laid or not.

It is not the players fault if, when tackled the umpires just let the player drop the ball, or when tackled and trapped with the ball the umpires say it was pinned and ball it up! One is incorrect disposal the other is a perfect tackle and a caught holding the ball!

It's a fecking joke!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47

It is not the players fault if, when tackled the umpires just let the player drop the ball, or when tackled and trapped with the ball the umpires say it was pinned and ball it up! One is incorrect disposal the other is a perfect tackle and a caught holding the ball!

It's a fecking joke!

Agree with you about those LP, but I had in mind those where the would be tackler grabs the ball carrier but fails to stop him disposing of it legally or lets him shrug/wriggle free.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #48
Agree with you about those LP, but I had in mind those where the would be tackler grabs the ball carrier but fails to stop him disposing of it legally or lets him shrug/wriggle free.

I understand Cookie, but I'd argue it is the umpires allowing the endless wriggling/wrestling free that contributes to all instances.

Let say a kid attempts to lay 10 tackles, we should applaud him. But under the current system, the guy being tackled would either be allowed to drop it (Then potentially the tackler gets pinged for holding on too long), or the ball gets trapped and it is a ball up, or the player eventually(after some seconds) wriggles free and the kid doing the tackling gets keel-hauled for not hanging on while he is pummeled by ball carriers team-mates. Maybe he gets rewarded for tackling in 2 or 3 out of 10 at best, and the escapes are highlighted!

It's so frustrating to me, it must be frustrating to many football fans.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Clutching at straws? When has Armfield come into the seniors this year and played an offensive role? We're just treading water if we keep players like Curnow and Armfield around.

Can't see your reasoning, Cachia just isn't in the same league as the others you list.

Curnow tore Ablett (Jnr) a new one in an away game, only one of three players who have stitched Ablett up. The only time Cachia would have come close to doing this would be if he managed to get the team bus to drive over Ablett in the car park! ;)

Both Armfield and Curnow have runs on the board, 170 games, 2 goals or more on a dozen occasions, 5 tackles or more on dozens of occasions. So when fit and firing they get jobs done.

So as I see it, you arguemnt is to keep a very average 14 game player over blokes who have played 60 to 100 games and who have performed better! Perhaps if McLean get the chop Cachia might be an option as a depth player, but even then he is miles away from being close to the equivalent of McLean!

Mentioning Everitt in this debate is just ludicrous.

I'd suggest Cachia is on very thin ice and if blokes like Judd, Carrazzo and McLean are still around next season Cachia might well not be there!

It's not an argument. It's an opinion. I like what Cachia has shown in the 2s and his 14 games in the seniors, and we need some players to have value on the trade table, which is why I want to see what Curnow can get us in return. If it's nothing reasonable then we keep him.

Reply #50
Watching that 1987 carl vs nth melb replay, one of the great things i noticed was the holding the ball decision and how quick and decisive the decisions were.

no fluffing around. you dived on it you got pinged straight away.

you didnt dispose of the ball straight away or cleanly you were pinged.

it got knocked out in the tackle, bad luck, you got penalised.

The game was far less congested and cleaner.

I think in the obsession of having the ball moving continuously, weve lost alot of the spectacle.

Besides, I honestly dont understand the obsession with the game being constantly played at break neck speed.

Does making the ball movement frantic make the viewing better?
I found my thrills, on Windy Pills

Reply #51
Cachia is a footballer, and a large bodied mid, first and athlete second.  I suggest we persist with him, as he has shown some worthy attributes, and has done some very good jobs on guys that Curnow struggles to matchup with due to size (Watson).
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
After14 pretty solid games last year, why has Cachia rotted in the twos all year... I fail to see why he can't do at least what Maclean does (or doesn't).  It isn't like Maclean has had a scintillating year.

MacInnes is another.  Whole season in the 2's with no apparent chance of elevation, must have done wonders for his confidence.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?