Skip to main content
Topic: 2 in a row... Blues Blow past the Gold Coast (Read 30322 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2 in a row... Blues Blow past the Gold Coast

Reply #45
1st game I have been able to watch since Barker took over.
It was nice to get the win, but a very scrappy game, our disposal skills were horrible.

It was great to see Kreuzer again after so long, what a difference he makes.

Both sides looked physically spent in the 3rd qtr, which made me ask the question, as much as we all seem to like the new game style, is it sustainable for 4 qtrs over 22 weeks?

Cripps seemed to handle a tag reasonably well, especially for someone who probably hasn't experienced it much.

Jammo can't come back in quick enough.

The next couple of weeks will be a good challenge for us.

I still want us to knock the Hawks off at least once this year !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #46
Credit to MM for bringing Everritt and Cam Wood to the Club.
At least we can say that's a couple of things he did right.
Reckon following taking Joel Selwood to task a few weeks back, Wood's form has gone up a level. On current form, he's playing Warnock into a delisting as he's doing a bang up job as Kreuz's backup.

Wood is smashing it re. Amazing renaissance from the big man.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #47
Raines is a deadest dog.

Rocket commenting on his game :

Gold Coast coach Rodney Eade said that 29-year-old former Richmond and Brisbane Lions tagger Raines – promoted off the rookie list due to the Suns' hefty injury toll – had been worn down by his younger opponent's run.

"I thought his first quarter was fantastic. He kept Cripps to three possessions, did really well," Eade said.

"Then they made a move of putting Cripps to half-forward coming up ... really testing Andrew. And then I thought he became undisciplined to be honest.

"He's playing with bone on bone in his knee. He's done a terrific job for us coming off the rookie list but he was recruited  really to help our depth in our NEAFL.

"He physically just can't carry out the game, and that's why he was carrying on."

In other words, bye bye Andy.

Reply #49
The sheparding in marking contests interp is utter garbage and needs to be thrown out.  Guesswork and mind reading, not umpiring required,

Sorry Rocket, but tiredness isn't an excuse for behaviour.  The sly one in Cripps' guts is pretty commonplace in footy (unfortunately), but jumping on Graham in the tackle - he's lucky Graham didn't slot him because it was as weak as p...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #50
Reckon following taking Joel Selwood to task a few weeks back, Wood's form has gone up a level. On current form, he's playing Warnock into a delisting as he's doing a bang up job as Kreuz's backup.

Agree. These two are excellent gets for us. Wood plays with passion and is excellent backup for Kreuz.  Everitt is a very reliable kick for goal as well as being very versatile around the ground.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #51
I feel sorry for them, the rules change every couple of weeks.

Was just thinking about this during the Tigers /Sydney game because all the "new rules" seemed to slow the game and cause the most confusion.
Third man up, below the knees, ducking the head, blocking the marking contest, tunnelling, arm chop, front on contact.

That's jus the last couple of years and interpretation of these also changes.

I thought the umps we're going ok until a few weeks ago and then we had the head ducking/prior opp interpretation change and now the teams all doing the third man up stuff.

Tough gig.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #52
Wood is smashing it re. Amazing renaissance from the big man.
Agree about Wood ,tries his guts out every game.He is a great team man,and has a real love for the club.
Hope we keep him he deserves it ,much better than Warnock    

Reply #53
Agree about Wood ,tries his guts out every game.He is a great team man,and has a real love for the club.
Hope we keep him he deserves it ,much better than Warnock  

Warnock isn't worthy enough to tie up Wood's bootlaces. Wood gives us so much more value than that spud. Can't imagine how Warnock would be around next year. I'm guessing if he was, he'd be on minimum wage and only as a backup. Effectively replacing Wood. who was recruited for that reason! How ironic.

Reply #54
Watched the replay again last night, how good a user of the ball is Nick Graham? Very balanced, and some brilliant passes by foot. Forget Robbie Grey I'm thinking Sam Mitchell!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #55
Wtached the replay again last night, how good a user of the ball is Nick Graham? Very balanced, and some brilliant passer by foot. Forget Robbie Grey I'm thinking Sam Mitchell!

Wo there, bit soon for comparisons to Mitchell, but I can see where you're coming from. He's growing each week and most importantly is deserving of his spot in the side.

You'd be happy with 'your boy Nick's' interview on the CFC website today. Communicates really well and dare I say could be leadership material.

He batted away the expected questions on Barks v MM very well, but it was more than interesting what he had to say re Bark's faith in the boys, faith in the leadership group, positivity and simplifying the message/expectations. But then again, MM was all about MM.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #56

Docherty for Hampson wasn't too bad either, I don't think many Carlton supporters would want to take that one back.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #57
But then again, MM was all about MM.

I think Malthouse gave it his best shot but for one reason or another Carlton just wasn't a good fit for him.
Blokes don't coach 700 games if they haven't got a clue.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #58
I think Malthouse gave it his best shot but for one reason or another Carlton just wasn't a good fit for him.
Blokes don't coach 700 games if they haven't got a clue.

He did come across on SEN, on Friday night as not having a clue.   They were asking him about other sides, and apart from the "they are a very good football side" (not sure where I have heard that one before...) he said a few things that made me think he just wasn't up for it this year.  When asked about Melbourne he talked about how great they have been this year, specifically mentioned Brayshaw, but then struggled to name any other young onballers, then gave up and just went with "and the others", then mentioned their super forward line, including "the youngster up forward", to which one of the other hosts chimed in with "Hogan??".  I know it wasn't his job to be on top of every player from every other team, as CFC coach, but you'd think he could name more than 1 Melb player??

Also answered their questions about how CFC were going under Barker with "Oh, I knew we'd be better in the back half of the year, when we got players back.  I didn't have Kruezer, and you must remember Andrew Walker missed a few games for me he is very important, gains so many meters per game".    Been out of the job for a month, and still pushing excuses (and not too credible ones).

He just didn't seem to be as up to the modern game as the other coaches that SEN has had on Friday nights.   And I was a defender of his.... up until the past few weeks when I have been reminded what football is supposed to look like!!

Reply #59
And I was a defender of his.... up until the past few weeks when I have been reminded what football is supposed to look like!!

Me too, but mainly because I basically disagree with the sack the coach mentality, I've never been a big Malthouse fan as such.
It may have been a blessing in disguise, I think we should give Barker the job and he probably wouldn't have got it under any other circumstances.