Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton v Fremantle- Post Match (Read 15502 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton v Fremantle- Post Match

Reply #30
According to Andy Mckay there wont be any major culling at seasons end which I find extraordinary given some of the players we have and the little they have shown.
I agree though it seems to be about throwing kids in the deep end and seeing who can swim uner pressure.....only a couple are waving not drowning and Barker would be in the same position as Ratten was and following orders probably originating from SOS..

I'd reckon McKay is just trying to keep morale up until the end of season.

They need the players to show something and, for the most part, they have.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #31
I'd reckon McKay is just trying to keep morale up until the end of season.

They need the players to show something and, for the most part, they have.

They have.
It's been a bit erratic though
It's the consistency of performance, and getting them all firing at the same time that we're missing.
Some of those younger players will be a lot better with another season of games in them.
The players who would be concerned would be those who had been on the list for a while but aren't getting an opportunity....that's where the culling will mostly come from, but probably no more than about half a dozen.

There may however be some extra movement of players through trades

Reply #32
And there we have it......everyone bagging the crap out of White when he's having to play totally out of position opposed to key forwards, yet when he gets the chance to play his best position (a run-with negating role), we get to see that he actually can add to this team in a very positive way.....think back to round 1 & the job he did on Dusty Martin, got injured when playing on LeCras in round 2 & hasn't played that role again since his return from injury until tonight and BINGO - we have a winner!!!

Beat me to it Brettie.

White has had to plug too many holes and they have been some BIG holes he's attempted to plug. He gives his all no matter what.

When he can play the way he we know he can, he dominates against the unbackable brownlow favourite.

If only we had a decent key forward or 2, we could play Hendo back, white as a 'small' and our side is 100% better.

Reply #33
Beat me to it Brettie.

White has had to plug too many holes and they have been some BIG holes he's attempted to plug. He gives his all no matter what.

When he can play the way he we know he can, he dominates against the unbackable brownlow favourite.

If only we had a decent key forward or 2, we could play Hendo back, white as a 'small' and our side is 100% better.

Testify brother!!!
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #34
I left Freo v Us, with these thoughts:
- solid effort Q1,2,3 by most players
- stiffled Q4 by seasoned Freo outfit
- Kruez, Crippa, Doc, Buckley, Murphy worked hard behind the scenes
- Hendo, Yaz, Rowe strugged to engage in the game
- White - Got the best of one of the best... (loved him in this role)
- our young fellas stood to learn so much running around with the class of Walters, Mundy, and Maine
- no doubt the Hawks will further our learning opportunity ^-^

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #35
LoveNavy. Pretty much all of what you said is about right. Taking negative thoughts about the game out of the equation. It takes a day or two to take the knee jerk reaction out of your opinion on any game. We were not great with our ball use, but we did have a high tackle count, so I am not completely lost with hope with our side. We do need to top up with some good seasoned players and some good young kids at the end of the season. Our stock count isn't the best, yet maybe not the worst either. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #36
Mantis.
I agree with you, wisdom flows from reflection (not the heat of the moment high emotion). Whilst there's plenty of room for growth, there's also plenty of exciting talent in the side. And yes, our tackling has improved remarkably, a credit to the whole crew.
I have certainly gone away from a game feeling more deflated than last night.
As far as the 'synergy' well combined sides consistently display, that takes time. I'm patient  :)
I'm excited to see the development of the young guns like Cripps, Boekerst, Walsh, and Fields (what a gigantic kick...)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #37
White should be our #1 tagger and let Curnow play offensively. He's ideal for that role IMO. Even if his opponent takes him forward he'll be able to defend too. Something Curnow can't do.

Reply #38
First game in years I didn't bother watching.
Expected a flogging, but glad to hear we hung in there for a while and the belting didn't eventuate..
Basic skill errors again let us down.
The kids seem to be holding up alright at AFL level.

Reply #39
Mantis.
I agree with you, wisdom flows from reflection (not the heat of the moment high emotion). Whilst there's plenty of room for growth, there's also plenty of exciting talent in the side. And yes, our tackling has improved remarkably, a credit to the whole crew.
I have certainly gone away from a game feeling more deflated than last night.
As far as the 'synergy' well combined sides consistently display, that takes time. I'm patient  :)
I'm excited to see the development of the young guns like Cripps, Boekerst, Walsh, and Fields (what a gigantic kick...)

Until we find a formula to gets the best out of softies like Hendo, Yarran, Everitt and Gibbs (add Menzel too?) we'll always struggle....

All high or mid first round draft picks and all pretty darn lazy a lot of the time imo.

All potential A graders with the right amount of fire in their belly (noting Yarran apparently has some off field issues to sort.....).

5 match winners producing zip and impacting minimally on a game.

Imagine if Breust, Rioli, Hodge, Roughead and Lewis decided to only 'turn up' sporadically?!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #40
Beat me to it Brettie.

I'd play Henderson back anyway. May as well play Jaksch forward now. We recruited him as a forward so may as well give him the experience there now the season's done. Nothing much to lose at this stage of the year. Henderson becomes a different player when played down back.

Probably give Menzel a few weeks off to recover from what ever he's carrying, he's obviously not fit.

Liking White. He had the right size and run to go with Fyfe. Fyfe wouldn't get many run-with types his size. Showing he can play 3rd tall in defence, midfield run-with role and can be useful forward too if needed.