Skip to main content
Topic: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn-Post Match (Read 49266 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn-Post Match

Reply #60
Here's a ripper stat for you blokes to consider, and a great example of how forked up our gameplan has been for the last two weeks. In disposing of the ball 37 times, how many metres did Marc Murphy gain for his team?

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #61
Lots of robust discussion as you would expect after the worst loss in the history of the Club.  Here's some more.

Murphy is probably the worst kick of the football in the AFL at the moment.  Even when he's not under pressure he's absolutely atrocious.

Kreuzer took one mark.  So there's two number one picks - a small man who can't kick and a tall who can't mark.

Yarran is gutless.  Pure and simple.

We're not that bad?  Not that bad? I actually think we're done as a club.  Since the 1990's the AFL has been like a shark looking to devour the weaker clubs and reduce the number of teams in Melbourne down to a level more commensurate with the population.  I just can't believe we're now the team most likely.  We might survive if they implement a Division (UK) or Conference (US) system.  Even then we'd probably languish towards the bottom end of the second division.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #62
I'm still feeling sick.
Woke up this morning hoping it was just a bad dream........but alas :'(

Whats happened to the aggressive approach to tackling we started with under JB ? There was just no fight. Thats what dissapointed me the most. NO FIGHT.   No mongrel.

The players have stated they want JB as there coach. They back him. Really?? By putting in a performance like that he'll be lucky to get an assistant coaching job next year. And if its JB's "game plan" to kick the ball sideways and backward and not use any ' run and carry' whatsoever.......then I hope he doesnt coach us next year.

Hawthorn are a great team....probably as good as there has ever been. But if you were to take their team and spread their list amongst the 17 other teams, I reckon they have 5 or 6 players who'd still be guns but the rest would be average. What I'm getting at here is that they have a system and every player on there list, not just the starting 22 understands it. They each know their role . they have a complete understanding of what is required, when its required. They know when to run off, when to flood back.
There workrate I50 is phenominal. They never stop working to find a teammate in a better position to make certain of the goal.

We take a mark I50 on the boundary and stop the play to pull our socks up and almost wait for the entire opp team to completely flood our fwd line and then think......hmmmm I cant get the distance so I might look for an option now!

We are too disjointed atm. Heaps of young kids, which isnt all bad, but "team football" is just not what we seem to be about.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #63
Here's a ripper stat for you blokes to consider, and a great example of how forked up our gameplan has been for the last two weeks. In disposing of the ball 37 times, how many metres did Marc Murphy gain for his team?

would he be one of the Hawks' best for metres gained?  :-[

Reply #64
We even managed to turn it over regularly when kicking backwards!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #65
would he be one of the Hawks' best for metres gained?  :-[

Well considering a good game of metres gained is around 300, he's not far off!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #66
Our base Lods is Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Buckley, Menzel, Holman, Yarran (?), Hendo(?), Kreuzer, Graham, Sheehan, Bell, Boekhorst, Jaksch, Casboult, Docherty, Byrne.

That's a good start, 17 players, like I said, we need 5-7 more players. That could be done in 15 months, should we draft well and pick up a couple of good players via FA.

Yes we got pumped last night, but only by 6-7 more goals than Sydney did at home, and we have a lot more injuries, and a piss poor backwards gameplan.

MurphY and Gibbs are both ' good ' players at best. They are not 'A' graders.... and boy that hurts us.
Those in bold are the future for us I reckon. The rest are a waste of time. get rid of them!!

Reply #67
Probably a bit harsh on Jacsh.

Reply #68
Our base Lods is Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Buckley, Menzel, Holman, Yarran (?), Hendo(?), Kreuzer, Graham, Sheehan, Bell, Boekhorst, Jaksch, Casboult, Docherty, Byrne.

That's a good start, 17 players, like I said, we need 5-7 more players. That could be done in 15 months, should we draft well and pick up a couple of good players via FA.

Yes we got pumped last night, but only by 6-7 more goals than Sydney did at home, and we have a lot more injuries, and a piss poor backwards gameplan.

Carrots the players you mention as our base have so many question marks over them.
Some of them show potential but also limitations or faults with their games that needed to be eradicated.

You haven't got a base unless it's a proven one...and the only players that fit that would be Gibbs, Murphy (and even with those two there are doubters), Kreuzer (if he can stay fit), Cripps (has shown enough) and perhaps Docherty.

Folk look at a player and think he's going to be a gun...when what they should be thinking is he could be a gun... I hope he continues to develop.

The Irish guys showed glimpses in their games and they're suddenly the future. ???
We have to get them back on the park first.

Reply #69
Players will always have question marks over them Lods. The aforementioned players are definitely a base to build upon, some may not turn out, but others may take their place. For example, Yarran and Henderson may be traded and replaced by other players of the same age, or early draft picks. They still have value.

The sky is not falling.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #70
Players will always have question marks over them Lods. The aforementioned players are definitely a base to build upon, some may not turn out, but others may take their place. For example, Yarran and Henderson may be traded and replaced by other players of the same age, or early draft picks. They still have value.

The sky is not falling.

Their value is diminishing by each game !

Reply #71
We forked up when we ditched the heart and souls of the team in Betts, Robbo and Waite. These guys bled blue and loved the club. Garlett wasn't too bad either. We've replaced them with Jones, Tutt, Everitt and Johnson. No wonder we are struggling to some extent. White, Curnow (who admittedly has not been bad) and Rowe who were peripheral are now major cogs in the side. Instead of looking to replace these guys we amazingly made them regulars.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #72

I'm glad you found that stat, I was arguing all last night with my mate that his disposals were cheap and ineffective.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #73
I'm glad you found that stat, I was arguing all last night with my mate that his disposals were cheap and ineffective.

And he receives the ball as well, not like he's winning it himself.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!