Skip to main content
Topic: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn-Post Match (Read 49259 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn-Post Match

Reply #75

Their value is diminishing by each game !

Yes, on last night's efforts we have few potent weapons in our armoury atm.

What I saw was a bunch of fumbling, half-hearted amateur individuals take to the field against a ruthless, slick team comprised of skilled, well drilled guys who each knew exactly their own role and what was expected of them. We were lambs to the slaughter from go to whoa. I now have close to zero expectations of significant improvement in the foreseeable future unless drastic action is implemented at all levels of the club.

Meanwhile, here is a news flash..............

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #76
..and meanwhile....the board directors drive back from the underground car park at docklands to their multi-million dollar homes and their billion dollar businesses ...and nothing changes...

Reply #77
Yes, on last night's efforts we have few potent weapons in our armoury atm.

What I saw was a bunch of fumbling, half-hearted amateur individuals take to the field against a ruthless, slick team comprised of skilled, well drilled guys who each knew exactly their own role and what was expected of them. We were lambs to the slaughter from go to whoa. I now have close to zero expectations of significant improvement in the foreseeable future unless drastic action is implemented at all levels of the club.

Meanwhile, here is a news flash..............

Well Sydney must be in a fair bit of trouble as well I guess. Geez would hate to be them.....
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #78
Being at the game, it didn't feel like it was 'rock bottom' at all - I barely knew half the players FFS, we were not a fully fit team, we have had a lot of bad luck injury wise and just too much inexperience.

I have felt a hell of a lot worse after a loss than this game.

One thing that pisses me right off and has made me wonder if I should throw my hat into the ring to be coach, is the going backwards.  We are in the middle of the ground.... we kick backwards alllllllllllllllll the way to the Hawks goal square FFS and then panic, lose it, they get a goal.

What the F*** kind of game plan is that?  Who in their right mind thinks that is okay?  On that alone, whoever implemented it or instructed it should be asked to leave immediately.  So we're not only gifting them goals, we're also gifting them not having to work hard to get them.  Get the F*** out. Seriously.

I love Yaz, well I loved Yaz.  I have seen the rumour of what's going on with him.  Something more is going on than just that - because it's not that he looks disinterested or that he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders, he is intentionally not going for the ball - intentionally.  Watch him in the first half and tell me I'm wrong.

Reply #79
Missing from the vs Port Adelaide game:
Graham
Menzel
Armfield
Wood
Carrazzo
Gibbs
Walker

Replaced by:
Boekhurst
Jones
Johnson
Holman
Tutt
Walsh

Reply #80
Always going to be painful.

The score is irrelevant .

SOS is running the show, we are just looking at players.

We won't win another game, bet your house on it. ;)

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #81
Being at the game, it didn't feel like it was 'rock bottom' at all - I barely knew half the players FFS, we were not a fully fit team, we have had a lot of bad luck injury wise and just too much inexperience.

I have felt a hell of a lot worse after a loss than this game.

One thing that pisses me right off and has made me wonder if I should throw my hat into the ring to be coach, is the going backwards.  We are in the middle of the ground.... we kick backwards alllllllllllllllll the way to the Hawks goal square FFS and then panic, lose it, they get a goal.

What the F*** kind of game plan is that?  Who in their right mind thinks that is okay?  On that alone, whoever implemented it or instructed it should be asked to leave immediately.  So we're not only gifting them goals, we're also gifting them not having to work hard to get them.  Get the F*** out. Seriously.

I love Yaz, well I loved Yaz.  I have seen the rumour of what's going on with him.  Something more is going on than just that - because it's not that he looks disinterested or that he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders, he is intentionally not going for the ball - intentionally.  Watch him in the first half and tell me I'm wrong.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Townsend has just posted our outs compared to the Port game. Fair whack of experience there. I think Barks said 1500 games difference between us and them.

But completely agree about the kicking. Going backwards and smack bang into the corridor, and turning it over, in our D50. Hopefully we never see this again.

Reply #82
Missing from the vs Port Adelaide game:
Graham
Menzel
Armfield
Wood
Carrazzo
Gibbs
Walker

Replaced by:
Boekhurst
Jones
Johnson
Holman
Tutt
Walsh
That makes a huge difference in just how competitive we can be. But the big problem here is our obvious lack of depth. None of the 'Ins' made significant contributions. The "Outs" may not have been in best form, but they represent talent. We basically had the Northern Blues out there last night and we got pounded accordingly.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #83
That makes a huge difference in just how competitive we can be. But the big problem here is our obvious lack of depth. None of the 'Ins' made significant contributions. The "Outs" may not have been in best form, but they represent talent. We basically had the Northern Blues out there last night and we got pounded accordingly.

This is unquestionably true.

Reply #84
We looked much better with Wood and Kreuzer both rucking. Wood had more clearances than any other ruckman this year before he was dropped/rested.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #85
We looked much better with Wood and Kreuzer both rucking. Wood had more clearances than any other ruckman this year before he was dropped/rested.

Agree.

Reply #86
I posted during the week that we had to play Wood but we went with the super spud instead.  Best ever pre-season... I'd hate to see his worst. 

I was there for the loss versus North and that was far, far worse.  We played an unbelievably good side who received at least 6 goals directly or indirectly from criminally poor umpiring.  The coaching was appalling – quick ball movement is what we need not a chipping game.

At least we had blokes that tried this time around, but it is clear that our list management and development has placed us in a very weak position.  Why are we so bereft of taller options?
The first bloke who needs the coke and sars is Webster.  As Carrots points out, Walsh did not front up to play with the requisite knowledge, instilled by drills and training.  You train as you play.

The rest of the cultural issue(s) need to be addressed by the players themselves…  professional standards 100% of the time.

I won’t address all the players but a few comments… Murph, Cripps, Curnow, Kreuzer, Docherty, Buckley, Bell (second half), Levi, Holman, White.  At least they tried…. mainly ineffectually but tried.  That’s what we have to play with going forwards – this group.  Ain’t much is it?

I thought Docherty’s efforts on backing back into Roughead was, for a player criticised as lacking a bit of physicality, inspiring.  The subsequent goal from a free to Hawthorn …  I still don’t understand what that was for.

Holman… as for our players not improving, this kid has improved his disposal infinitely since being drafted.  I reckon he will make it.

Levi… Had zero chance with the short gameplan but had a purple patch in the third were he influenced a number of contests in a row and we, for a brief period, looked to have a functioning forward line as a result.  Rucked ok.  Where are the small forwards to crumb from him? 

The middle tier;
Boekhorst… yes he panicked horribly in the first half but kicked 1.2 and should have kicked 4 from limited opportunities.  He needs time in the seniors to gain touch and confidence and appears to be a one –way runner suited to the front half of the ground, but if he becomes a consistent goal kicker he will become handy.
Rowe… playing in such as key role but got swamped… decision making (invariably poor) under pressure got horribly shown up.  This needs to be improved with drill after drill after drill.
Buckley… still needs 5+ kilos in the gym as a priority – can’t shake physical pressure off.
Touhy…  not a defender’s jock strap.  Play higher up the ground.

The write offs…
Hendo…  should put out an APB missing persons alert on him.  I thought that he was a key retention item, but Carrots is right – not interested, trade him out.
Everitt…   horrid.  All the skills, none of the appetite to get involved.
Yarran…  if he has off field issues grant him leave and help him out.  Otherwise drop him as letting his opponent mark unhampered not once but twice was deadest criminal.
Johnson… too slow, not enough tricks. 
Jamison…. Looks to be running in wet cement… time looks up.
Tutt… plays scared, falls over all the time and gets knocked off the ball… cut price version of Armfield.  Pay him out now, de-list and de-list the idiot responsible for acquiring him.
Jones…  ditto x 2.  The worst player I have ever seen wearing Navy blue, ever.   
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #87

Agree.....since Wood has been out we have dropped away badly, with Wood doing the hack work then Kruezer can be used in other more attacking roles.
I also think Wood has a bit more agro to his game and having another big body out there would help our younger slightly built players..

Reply #88
This is a team that has been poorly coached for many years. The rot started during Pagan and continued with underinvestment in coaching and development.

Pagan was a realist who knew what it took to succeed and knew that Carlton didn't have it, he delisted 17 players after his first season and only Simon Fletcher, who subsequently played 8 games for Richmond, was picked up by another AFL club.
Our list was shocking and he had no draft picks to improve it, then when he wanted to drop Fevola for taking his boots off during a game he was over ruled by the committee.
He didn't stand a chance but he took the fall, and coaches have been taking the fall for our gross mismanagement ever since.
So here we are, a basket case.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #89
The backward kicking against a team who thrives on locking the ball in their forward 50 must have been one of the great tactical blunders of our time.

A concern for me after the game was Macca talking about what we wanted the players to do. Who is running the show?