Skip to main content
Topic: Patrick Smith Blasts Carlton (Read 17351 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Patrick Smith Blasts Carlton

Reply #15
The problem is Melbourne was getting hammered worse than us for longer, asked for a PP and ggot knocked back.

Anyway, cat is out of the bag now, I expect some frightful smashings ahead now there is a whiff of PPs in the air. A couple more journos on our side would help. This is where Maguire would be gold as pres.

Reply #16
The problem is Melbourne was getting hammered worse than us for longer, asked for a PP and ggot knocked back.

Anyway, cat is out of the bag now, I expect some frightful smashings ahead now there is a whiff of PPs in the air. A couple more journos on our side would help. This is where Maguire would be gold as pres.

Melbourne were beating us in that period though. :P I think the AFL will look at the outs we have at the moment and it'll get knocked back.

Reply #17
I don't think Smith was far off the mark but who really gives a ship what he reckons. If Hawks win the flag again in a canter then the AFL needs to do something drastic regarding equalisation. If it means giving out priority picks then I won't say no.

Our club cannot survive on this basis....a culture of mediocrity

Reply #18
I just don't think you can go from a finalist (albeit because of another club's penalty) to being "priority pick worthy" in two seasons.

That's not what priority picks are built for ;)

Reply #19
I just don't think you can go from a finalist (albeit because of another club's penalty) to being "priority pick worthy" in two seasons.

Rules can be changed and new ones can be made for individual clubs. Look what they did to the Swans with their trade ban. It doesn't have to be called a "Priority Pick", it can be called "Compensation for James Frawley" or "Equalisation for Free Agents and Academy players going to the top clubs".

I don't want us to rely on this but we need something to undo all the damage that has been done. So I would like to see us apply to the AFL for a "Hughes & Rogers sympathy pick".

Reply #20
Rules can be changed and new ones can be made for individual clubs. Look what they did to the Swans with their trade ban. It doesn't have to be called a "Priority Pick", it can be called "Compensation for James Frawley" or "Equalisation for Free Agents and Academy players going to the top clubs".

I don't want us to rely on this but we need something to undo all the damage that has been done. So I would like to see us apply to the AFL for a "Hughes & Rogers sympathy pick".

I was thinking the other day that there must be a dark low place to which a club can descend that it is impossible to recover from under the present AFL rules. In other words, the club becomes completely unviable. I don't know whether we are anywhere near that, Fatprick Smith thinks we are, but surely the AFL would then need to make the call to either turn off the life support or to apply emergency intensive resuscitation? I obviously don't want to see either of those outcomes unless we were a true basket case, and this year will tell us a lot about that come draft and trade time.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
I was thinking the other day that there must be a dark low place to which a club can descend that it is impossible to recover from under the present AFL rules. In other words, the club becomes completely unviable. I don't know whether we are anywhere near that, Fatprick Smith thinks we are, but surely the AFL would then need to make the call to either turn off the life support or to apply emergency intensive resuscitation? I obviously don't want to see either of those outcomes unless we were a true basket case, and this year will tell us a lot about that come draft and trade time.

I don't think it would ever get to the stage where we disappeared completely....but I've got a bad feeling that it might take us "going to the brink" for Carlton people to wake up and take some action.

Reply #22
That destination is called Fitzroy and it wasn't that long ago.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #23
Sadly Smith was on the money.

Carlton have fallen behind the most in areas where the best clubs have excelled in the past decade. We often refer to the draft as the basis for sustained success and no doubt this is important. But the likes of hawthorn, geelong and sydney determined this well over a decade ago and as well as the draft invested significantly in training, development and the quality of their support organisations.

The three above clubs have certainly found some fine draft picks, but they have also had plenty of failures too. They have this century looked for other areas to make marginal gains, and maintained this with organisations that support continuous improvement.

A priority pick for carlton would be great. But without significant improvement in a host of other areas it would make little difference.

If Carlton is to realise success in the future we are going to have to make enormous strides and leap frog the competition. A good comparison from another sport is that of team Sky in professional road cycling. When most other professional teams were still mopping up in the aftermath of the drug soaked era of the late 1990s and early 2000s, Sky took an alternate path and invested heavily in coaching and data analysis to support training, not to mention a big bag of cash. They are now reaping the rewards, having had 3 winners of the Tour de France in the past few years.

Something radical has to occur, and it is way beyond getting an excellent head coach appointed and some good draft picks. For we could do a great job in these areas yet still find ourselves mid ladder in 6 years wondering where we went wrong.

Reply #24
Things turn around fast. Port Adelaide after they got Hinkley, Bulldogs this year, although they weren't quite as bad. Side does look a bit better when players are on the ground and not in the stands. Important here we make the right appointment. Right coach can turn things around very quickly like Hinkley and Beverige. Others may turn it gradually like Hardwick. Right appointment though is vital. Wrong coach will kills us for years.

Reply #25
If Gillon had a big enough mouth in an interview with the press yesterday to state our loss against Hawthorn can not be allowed to happen. It being bad for our club, our supporters, for the AFL as a brand, and for the media. Having a future effect on numbers through the gates for future games. He better consider what influence he has to help us in our time of need. Give us compensation with a priority pick. We got nothing for Waite, Garlett and Robinson if you look at things. Then we lose our best player in Judd who has thrown in the towel after a serious injury. Even our best list will need lots of work to become competitive.

A new coach could turn things around. However if Gillon considers we could be a power side with rival competitions against, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon, Geelong, Richmond and others like the past he would have to be dreaming as it might not happen for another 4 to 5 years. The biggest problem of the past if the trend continues, we use our first few picks to get absolutely nothing or near enough to nothing.

Its time for more bad publicity, to wake up the board members. They need to find a solid fix, and they need to go. Give us a fresh start with a board that actually functions like a professional unit. Get the best coaching group. Best fitness and strength coaches. Best recruiters to assist SOS, and start a real rebuild.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #26

Not it's not what they are for.

However, the fact is we are a complete mess. What is in the AFL's best interests? Watching ANOTHER year of us getting 10-goal thumpings every week....perhaps for a few years...
or
...get this ship turned around quicksmart.

As for Melbourne NOT getting one....thats half true. The compensation they got for Frawley was half his compo and half a PP packaged up in one under the guise of compo for Frawley.
Alternatively, we got squat for Waite.

Reply #27
I'm not sure how much research Smith has done into the behind the scenes/bank balance type stuff, but i reckon the 2 clubs up north are in a lot worse financial position compared to us.

Reply #28
If those clubs get PP and we don't then there will be hell to pay... and we should make sure all and sundry know about it.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #29
Hard to believe anyone would challenge Smith on his comments/observations. He's right. If we dare to be objective, he's painfully right.

And here's the litmus test, from our list, who are the blokes who would get a gig now at any top 6 side?

Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Thomas... ah, that is all!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17