Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 2: Northern Blues vs. Geelong (Read 31036 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 2: Northern Blues vs. Geelong

Reply #120
Thanks for the reports boys. Not sure White and Tutt are the guys we want to be performing in the twos, their return to the seniors would surely be a step backwards.

It's only a step backwards if they don't deserve their games.

The names of the players are unimportant it's what they do to play that is.

Jamo didn't play Ray.

Agree on Jones, might I add I was scoffed at when I suggested he may improve under a different regime lol.

Might I add I was scoffed at when I said he should be playing last week?  He has played four solid games in a row now at vfl level.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #121
Jamo didn't play Ray.

Agree on Jones, might I add I was scoffed at when I suggested he may improve under a different regime lol.

I scoffed too as I never wanted to see him in the senior side ever again. If I didn't go last night I would've thought that he just simply had a night out. So glad I went and got a different view of him.

Reply #122
It's only a step backwards if they don't deserve their games.

The names of the players are unimportant it's what they do to play that is.

Yeah nah, you know what I mean. We need the future to be stepping up, not the stop gaps.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #123
I scoffed too as I never wanted to see him in the senior side ever again. If I didn't go last night I would've thought that he just simply had a night out. So glad I went and got a different view of him.

Likewise. Fortunately we both saw it with our own eyes!

Last week he did what he did last night - spasmodically. Over the past few weeks he's improved every week, and the better delivery last night sure did help as well. I think the club is playing it right, get these talls in the NBs to prove they can perform consistently in game and from week to week.

The big thing is he's growing in confidence. The ability is there and has always been there, but someone is doing some very good work between his lug holes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #124
Likewise. Fortunately we both saw it with our own eyes!

Last week he did what he did last night - spasmodically. Over the past few weeks he's improved every week, and the better delivery last night sure did help as well. I think the club is playing it right, get these talls in the NBs to prove they can perform consistently in game and from week to week.

The big thing is he's growing in confidence. The ability is there and has always been there, but someone is doing some very good work between his lug holes.

Certainly looks like a gaining of confidence from last week's effort to this week.

Reply #125
Yeah nah, you know what I mean. We need the future to be stepping up, not the stop gaps.

Didn't you say the other day that Murphy and co didn't have anyone to look up to and thus couldn't develop properly?

This is what its about. Rewarding players who put, regardless of who they are and how much actual talent they have.

If White, Tutt and Jones (all 'hacks') are tearing it up in the 2's, you have to reward them. How else to you show the kids what to do? Its pretty simple, perform and get a game. Continue to perform and continue to get a game.

Sometimes you play someone to get a point across that may not benefit you in the short term, but certainly will in the long term, long after they have been cast aside.

Reply #126
Didn't you say the other day that Murphy and co didn't have anyone to look up to and thus couldn't develop properly?

This is what its about. Rewarding players who put, regardless of who they are and how much actual talent they have.

If White, Tutt and Jones (all 'hacks') are tearing it up in the 2's, you have to reward them. How else to you show the kids what to do? Its pretty simple, perform and get a game. Continue to perform and continue to get a game.

Sometimes you play someone to get a point across that may not benefit you in the short term, but certainly will in the long term, long after they have been cast aside.

Do you really think that he's capable of comprehending that ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #127

These guys appear to be enthusiastically and successfully performing the things they were sent to the NBs to do. There must be recognition and reward for that - that's how the required culture will be developed. Let's hope Jamo will be similarly motivated.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #128

I agree you need to rewards players who perform on a consistent basis in the two's however there are several angles to consider.....development , winning games and the future.......do you prefer the equally well performed Viojo Rainbow or do you play Jason Tutt to give him a chance to save his career, do you prefer the developing K. Jaksch or Liam Jones who needs games to try and show his career inst over.
The clubs mantra is rebuild not re hash..I think players like Jones and Tutt have to bang on the door a bit harder and longer than DVR and KJ....

Reply #129
The development tean is 2 points up halfway through the last.

EDIT : Sorry 3/4 time and we are 3 points down.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #130
I agree you need to rewards players who perform on a consistent basis in the two's however there are several angles to consider.....development , winning games and the future.......do you prefer the equally well performed Viojo Rainbow or do you play Jason Tutt to give him a chance to save his career, do you prefer the developing K. Jaksch or Liam Jones who needs games to try and show his career inst over.
The clubs mantra is rebuild not re hash..I think players like Jones and Tutt have to bang on the door a bit harder and longer than DVR and KJ....

I'm not saying only those 3 should be rewarded, just that those 3 are the ones he takes issue with.

If colours is performing amongst the best in the 2's, give him a game. No problem with him, or whoever. Its all about rewarded effort, and not accepting a lack of.

Personally, i don't care about winning a game this year. If it means that in doing so, we set up the right culture from here on out, i'd take a 10 goal loss every week.

We've struggled to get our house in order for way too many years now. We are closest to a rebuild/reset/regeneration/reawakening...as we've ever been. Don't start getting cold feet now. Do whatever we need to do to make sure we get it right this time. No short cuts!

Reply #131
Do you really think that he's capable of comprehending that ?

He is capable of understanding it, but he'll see who wrote it and immediately jump on the back foot and accuse me of spinning something, while at the same time spin himself out of his own comments. Completely ignoring the whole concept in the process. ;)

Reply #132

You should read my post properly, I can understand Northern Blue not being able to comprehend anything at all, but you surely have X100 the brains of him?

We need our young players to be stepping up in the twos. It would be better news if Gorringe and Foster were BOG, not those two. Get it?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #133
You should read my post properly, I can understand Northern Blue not being able to comprehend anything at all, but you surely have X100 the brains of him?

We need our young players to be stepping up in the twos. It would be better news if Gorringe and Foster were BOG, not those two. Get it?

We need ALL our players stepping up. Young or otherwise. The more players who are doing the right thing, the better off they will be.

Reply #134
We need ALL our players stepping up. Young or otherwise. The more players who are doing the right thing, the better off they will be.

Yes, it doesn't really matter who is stepping up, as long as they are.  I am sure Bolton hasn't written anyone off yet and he has made it clear that those who put in the effort will be rewarded - and those who don't will lose their place in the 22.

If the NBs are executing the game plan well, winning games and have ten or so players who are knocking on the door of senior selection, our fortunes will have to be on the up.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball