Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW- Round 1 Carlton V Collingwod-Match thread. (Read 20530 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW

Reply #75
What a great night for our Club, Women's Footy, and Women's Sport in general.
After ripping it up on the big stage on Friday night, life will never be the same again for players like Darcy Vee, Bri Davey etc.

For years, the AFL and the media in general had Princes Park down as an eyesore from a bygone era that nobody cares about or wants to go to anymore. The game against he Drug Cheats last year, and the 24,500 on Friday night, says otherwise. We may just have turned it into the 'go to' venue for expected big crowds in the AFLW.

My 6 y.o. daughter watched the 1st qtr before going to bed. She was rapt that girls were actually playing footy, after years of seeing me watching only the guys playing.
Told her we'd won on Saturday morning and she asked to watch the highlights, which I jumped online and showed her (how times have changed).
The Blues AFLW team has come along just at the right time. Reckon there's a whole new young female Navy Blue fan base after Friday night.

I'm hoping for a huge crowd at next weeks game. I'll be there with my two kiddos that's for sure!!.

GO BLUES!!!

Re: AFLW- Round 1 Carlton V Collingwod-Match thread.

Reply #76
After some pretty equally 1-sided matches, we've managed to come out of R1 atop the ladder. Which also means Collingwood are on bottom!  >:D

http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/ladder

Re: AFLW

Reply #77
What a great night for our Club, Women's Footy, and Women's Sport in general.
After ripping it up on the big stage on Friday night, life will never be the same again for players like Darcy Vee, Bri Davey etc.

For years, the AFL and the media in general had Princes Park down as an eyesore from a bygone era that nobody cares about or wants to go to anymore. The game against he Drug Cheats last year, and the 24,500 on Friday night, says otherwise. We may just have turned it into the 'go to' venue for expected big crowds in the AFLW.

My 6 y.o. daughter watched the 1st qtr before going to bed. She was rapt that girls were actually playing footy, after years of seeing me watching only the guys playing.
Told her we'd won on Saturday morning and she asked to watch the highlights, which I jumped online and showed her (how times have changed).
The Blues AFLW team has come along just at the right time. Reckon there's a whole new young female Navy Blue fan base after Friday night.

I'm hoping for a huge crowd at next weeks game. I'll be there with my two kiddos that's for sure!!.

GO BLUES!!!

Well said. Hopefully our girls will give your little girl many hours of happy viewing... as we hope the boys do!! :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #78
One of the strangest posts I've ever read.

One of the oddest responses I've ever read to an opionion.....get over yourself.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #79
One small note of sobriety in the frenzy of feel-good responses over this competition:

I bet all those women who’ve been playing elite sport for years are REALLY chuffed at the saturation media coverage the AFL womens comp is getting !!!!! 
Thinking the likes of womens:  Soccer, Basketball, Cricket, Hockey etc etc.  How long will it be before any talented sports-women is moving from other less funded & media hyped sports to play AFL instead….

Typical AFL, trying to kill off any competing sports while trying to look like they are doing a wonderful thing for women.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #80
Kill off?  That's not going to happen.  But the AFL can and should carve out a dominant position. 

I have little time for the "there's plenty of room for every sport - let's cooperate so every sport will grow" sentiment.  The fact is, there isn't plenty of room at all.  Malo, you acknowledge that reality when you note that AFLW has and will hurt other sports.  It appears there isn't plenty of room after all - what is good for 1 sport will usually be bad for another.

There are only so many athletes and spectators to go around, only so much government funding and so many advertising and sponsorship dollars and only so many sports grounds. 

Did soccer officials worry about the effect on cricket that their shift to summer might have? 

Fortunately, those in charge of our sport aren't the type to hold hands around the campfire with administrators from other sports while singing kumbaya.  They're focussed on making our game prosper, as they should be. 

Reply #81
Soccer will be worried now, there are a bunch of females heading to AFLW out of the national women's leagues.

I would think that lists will change significantly for next season.

But lets face it, all things being equal, if you could, which game would you rather play?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
Typical AFL, trying to kill off any competing sports while trying to look like they are doing a wonderful thing for women.

So they are putting a gun to the womens head are they?

They will play whatever they want to play. If the AFLW is a more attractive option than the alternatives, then the alternatives are obviously doing something wrong by comparison.

Reply #83
Only 481 people attended the W-League SF between Perh and Sydney!

Reply #84

The average attendance at A-League games is only 13,000  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
So they are putting a gun to the womens head are they?

They will play whatever they want to play. If the AFLW is a more attractive option than the alternatives, then the alternatives are obviously doing something wrong by comparison.

Gun to head ?........Where did I say that Kruds ?  Don't go putting words in others mouths just to make your own point look more salient.  The considerable resources of the AFL and it's pet media organisations are making the "choice" of sportswomen one based on money & media coverage.  And as for writing that the alternatives are"obviously doing something wrong"....what a one eyed point of view.  The alternatives don't have the same massive financial resources to throw around & are not given priority media, including prime time TV, coverage.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #86

100,000 watched Melbourne Victory v Real Madrid at the MCG at the same time as 27,000 watched Carlton v Hawthorn at etihad.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #87
100,000 watched Melbourne Victory v Real Madrid at the MCG at the same time as 27,000 watched Carlton v Hawthorn at etihad.

100,000?  I thought it was a tad over 30,000  ???

16,000 watched the Melbourne Victory - Atletico-Madrid game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #88
Gun to head ?........Where did I say that Kruds ?  Don't go putting words in others mouths just to make your own point look more salient.  The considerable resources of the AFL and it's pet media organisations are making the "choice" of sportswomen one based on money & media coverage.  And as for writing that the alternatives are"obviously doing something wrong"....what a one eyed point of view.  The alternatives don't have the same massive financial resources to throw around & are not given priority media, including prime time TV, coverage.

'Doing something wrong' could simply mean their sport is not as fun to watch and play.
If people like doing it, they will.
If people like watching it, they will.
If they get paid for it, bonus.

It is survival of the fittest.

If people don't like watching it, or playing it as much as another sport, why should we bend over backwards for the other sport if it holds little interest for people?

If you think this is JUST about money, i point you to the XFL. You might say "what?!" and i say exactly.

The XFL was a rival to the NFL (american football) started by multimillionaire and owner of the WWE Vince McMahon.

He through absolutely ludicrous amounts of money at this league to get it up and running. (100mil in early 2000's)

Very similar game, changed some rules to make it more tv friendly/appealing. eg skycam.

Went bust.

Ultimately, the game was just not as good. It wasnt about the money.