Skip to main content
Topic: Exhibition Match: Northern Blues vs U18's (Read 10078 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Exhibition Match: Northern Blues vs U18's

Reply #30
I thought Macreadie looked sore on Saturday, might be a good opportunity to give him a rest and give Jones a crack at Dixon?

Reply #31
I thought Macreadie looked sore on Saturday, might be a good opportunity to give him a rest and give Jones a crack at Dixon?

Was going to write this.

I think we need to rotate the younger guys a little too. 

Charlie Curnow hasn't covered himself in glory at this stage either and might benefit from lesser pressure in the vfl. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
Fair enough. Especially for the 1st year kids.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #33
It appears I did Boekhorst something of a disservice: he managed 23 possessions. I just don't recall many of them. Am I at fault?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
Meh, match against U18s. Only thing I took out of it (watching the highlights) was was some nice straight kicking from our fwds, namely H and KJ. Also, there was abit of a Gallucci show. Other than that, seemed like U18s playing Auskickers, WOFT.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35
In previous years guys like Weidemann and Weitering really stood out in the corresponding games. There have always been a number of guys who beat VFL players. This time there wasn't. Unless the U18's can really turn it around in their next game, then there will be questions about the quality of this year's draft cohort.

I think it is a little early for that sort of thing, but there will be people who will bring it up.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #36
It appears I did Boekhorst something of a disservice: he managed 23 possessions. I just don't recall many of them. Am I at fault?

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-04-18/vfl-player-review-vs-afl-academy

Northern Blues coach Josh Fraser reviews the performances of every Carlton-listed player in Northern's 75-point win over the AFL Academy in a friendly match at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

7. Dylan Buckley
Stats: 17 disposals, 7 marks, 11 uncontested possessions
From the coach: ‘Bucks’ is defending really well at the moment. He was hard at it on the day with his positioning to get a result in a number of one-on-one contests, and he made good decisions with the ball.

14. Liam Jones
Stats: 15 disposals, 9 marks (3 contested), 4 inside 50s
From the coach: He’s playing a slightly different role for us at the moment as a defender, where he’s attacking the contest with real ferocity and giving us defensive stability. He’s adding another string to his bow.

15. Andrew Phillips
Stats: 8 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal, 30 hitouts
From the coach: It was a really strong performance from ‘Flip’, where he gave us first use through the middle of the ground. His follow-up and work around the ground continues to grow after a long layoff. He’s tracking well.

19. Harry McKay
Stats: 12 disposals, 8 marks, 3 inside 50s, 2 goals
From the coach: Harry had a lot of opportunity to impact the game, he just needs to finish his good work by clunking marks because he’s getting into good positions. He continues to present and work really hard. We feel there’s a big game around the corner.

25. Sam Kerridge
Stats: 40 disposals, 9 marks, 10 clearances, 1 goal
From the coach: He ran all day, providing us with real grunt around the contest and great spread with and without the ball. He put together a really strong performance and was one of our better performers on the day.

26. Alex Silvagni
Stats: 17 disposals, 11 marks, 4 tackles
From the coach: Alex was enormous as a senior figure in our back-line, setting up other defenders and playing the system really well. His contest was aggressive as always and he used the ball out of our back half well.

31. Patrick Kerr
Stats: 11 disposals, 4 marks, 3 inside 50s
From the coach: He keeps working really hard on his game. We think he’s going to be an exciting player for us. He battled hard as a forward and working back towards goal. He’ll continue to develop.

34. Jesse Glass-McCasker
Stats: 8 disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals
From the coach: We used him in a couple of different roles, and he kicked his first two goals for the club. He’s working hard on his craft as a defender and we’re really pleased with some of his improvement in that area, while he’s a good size and showed some good signs up forward.

47. Ciaran Sheehan
Stats: 14 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal
From the coach: ‘Gussy’ was really strong again, defending with real speed and urgency while his disposal was great. It was another good game from him.

48. Kristian Jaksch
Stats: 24 disposals (22 kicks), 13 marks (4 inside 50), 3 goals
From the coach: We used him at both ends to continue to give him flexibility. As a forward, worked in conjunction with McKay and Kerr, both up the ground and back towards goal. As a defender, he provided stability and was strong in the contest.

49. Dennis Armfield
Stats: 15 disposals, 5 tackles (4 inside 50), 2 inside 50s
From the coach: Purely from a leadership perspective, he was enormous and energised the playing group. He put on some great pressure in our forward half and played a strong team game.

51. Billie Smedts
Stats: 22 disposals, 6 inside 50s, 1 goal
From the coach: Billie played a number of roles and used his running capacity both offensively and defensively. He used the ball really well and continues to address areas of his game he wants to work on. It was a step in the right direction.

55. Liam Sumner
Stats: 7 disposals
From the coach: Liam was in and out of the game. He showed flashes of AFL-standard running and pressure. He didn’t finish the game, he was a little bit sore. While he was on the ground he showed good signs, but the next step is putting it together for longer.

56. Andrew Gallucci
Stats: 19 disposals (12 contested), 4 goals
From the coach: He was terrific as a small forward. His speed and work rate was a feature, and importantly along with his pressure he managed to hit the scoreboard as a small forward. The expectation is that he continues this run of form.

60. David Cuningham
Stats: 25 disposals, 6 marks, 4 clearances, 5 inside 50s

From the coach: I thought he was really strong around the stoppages. He won his own ball and ran really hard. He continues to grow, and it was an important game from him for his development.

62. Blaine Boekhorst
Stats: 23 disposals, 10 marks, 5 inside 50s, 1 goal
From the coach: His running has him impacting the game. He played mainly on the wing and used the ball okay. There are things which need fine-tuning but I thought it was a strong game.

67. Cameron Polson
Stats: 28 disposals, 6 clearances, 4 tackles, 1 goal
From the coach: Really impressive from a first-year player: his work-rate from contest to contest and into space was great, while he used the ball well. Around the stoppages, he won his own footy and the last two weeks have been encouraging.

80. Matthew Korcheck
Stats: 2 disposals, 13 hitouts
From the coach: Big Korcheck was good in the ruck, and he took a really strong mark up forward. He’ll keep splitting his time between the two positions. He continues to show glimpses.

Stuffed if I know Crash, but have a look at what Fraser had to say about him.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #37
Jones playing as a Key Defender, and doing well. Who'd have thunk it....???

Gee, I called for this 2 years ago. Play him as a key defender I said. I got shot down on here by the unimaginative ones!  8)

Look, Liam Jones has some excellent tools in his kit bag - those being genuine power, pace, agility and a big leap. He has good size (height and body) and seemingly pretty good determination. Simply, cannot see why he has not been played as a Key defender at VFL level, then at AFL level. He is only 25 years old still for crying out loud! This year, he plays as Key Defender at VFL level and we at least get a good look at him in that role, before we cut him at seasons end. He aint going to make it at ADL level as a Key Forward IMO, so play him as a Key Defender. Nothing to lose.

IF, he does well as a key defender he'll be an asset as I think he's a very different type of 'tall' or KPP to those of Plowman, Weitering and Marchbank. More power and pace with Jones plus his spring.

Keep it up LJ. Exciting. Let's see how he goes each week now. KJ as a Key Defender makes sense too. Jones at FB and Jaksch at CHB.

Keep McKay, JGM and Kerr as the Key Forwards at VFL level for the time being.

No harm in giving this set up a go at VFL level I say!

Reply #38
Boekhorst's problem is winning his own ball and being accountable when defending...neither of that was mentioned.....I didnt see the game so I cant judge him but reading those comments tells me he isnt being considered for senior footy....fine tuning is a kind and  interesting description of where he needs to improve.. :)

Reply #39
Jones playing as a Key Defender, and doing well. Who'd have thunk it....???

Gee, I called for this 2 years ago. Play him as a key defender I said. I got shot down on here by the unimaginative ones!  8)

Look, Liam Jones has some excellent tools in his kit bag - those being genuine power, pace, agility and a big leap. He has good size (height and body) and seemingly pretty good determination. Simply, cannot see why he has not been played as a Key defender at VFL level, then at AFL level. He is only 25 years old still for crying out loud! This year, he plays as Key Defender at VFL level and we at least get a good look at him in that role, before we cut him at seasons end. He aint going to make it at ADL level as a Key Forward IMO, so play him as a Key Defender. Nothing to lose.

IF, he does well as a key defender he'll be an asset as I think he's a very different type of 'tall' or KPP to those of Plowman, Weitering and Marchbank. More power and pace with Jones plus his spring.

Keep it up LJ. Exciting. Let's see how he goes each week now. KJ as a Key Defender makes sense too. Jones at FB and Jaksch at CHB.

Keep McKay, JGM and Kerr as the Key Forwards at VFL level for the time being.

No harm in giving this set up a go at VFL level I say!

I remember most people thinking this was a good idea. Started MM last year in defense but it didn't amount to much. I wouldn't get too excited about it.