Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 35896 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #15
One other positive but not related to this thread - E.Betts (D22 M5 G6 B2)

A replay I will be watching. I have a suspicion we are closer to Essendon than they think.

**edit fixed spelling

Reply #16
I disagree that Ablett 'killed us'. Many of his possessions were cheap handball receives at the back of the mark, and 1-2 combos, the only impact of which were to inflate his possession count.

X2. Did hurt us more in the second half but his posssession count rarely reflects his damage - he loves the sideways 20 metres chip in defence and as you said the one two round the back play. Those touches don't hurt the ones were he runs out of the centre into then f50 are the ones that are damaging.

Thought we tried but really think last week took its toll after the half time.

Just couldn't spread and played static stop start footy and once they ran with it the mids just couldn't apply then pressure needed and they got way too many easy spot entires.

Watching live Doc, Murphy and young SOJ tried their guts out and ran hard all game.

Cripps looked very sore and kruezer battled on but wasn't as effective as usual.

Loved fishers goal - the kid can play. Loved his pressure acts.

Overall liked the kids again. Definitely saw signs in most of them.

Reply #17
88 tackles says they had a go, just beaten by a better unit.

Agreed. We had nearly double their tackles and 17-4 were inside 50. We were close in contested possies, and only -2 inside 50's. Given some goalkicking class (I.e. Charlie 2pts will soon be 2goals), we'd have hung around longer. It was a credit to our very young mob. They really showed up and had a crack against a seasoned star filled side. There's no stopping their big forwards, and they can kick straight too.

That said, Casboult was great in front of goals with his 3. He created some headaches in the marking contest too....

The youngsters were solid tonight. McCreadie, Marchbank, Williamson held their own and would have had a lesson of some very good big fwds. Pickett is building nicely, he'll have a breakout game real soon. Sammo, just keeps at it, his vision is A1. Just needs the tank and bulk to execute. The latter 2 looked dangerous.

How was Zac Fisher people?
A couple of sensational run downs, and a classy goal on debut. No less.
He looked tired at times, but kept throwing his body in.
Take a bow son. Did the Navy blue proud. May you have many more.

Well done new Blues

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #18
One other positive but not related to this thread - E.Betts (D22 M5 G6 B2)

A replay I will be watching. I have a suspicion we close to Essendon than they think.

See 2017 AFL season thread spf ^-^
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #19
Thought the effort was outstanding.We are always going to struggle against a big forward like lynch. We just don't have the defender to do it.

Once again though I'm disappointed with the skill errors made by our Captain. Missing targets. But what disappointed me the most was his attempted tackle on Assad, who just shrugged him off. The captain is supposed to set the example.
JC

Reply #20
I actually thought Ablett getting going was the turning point.
They started to win the ball out of the middle and we had no answers
Cripps who normally does the job for us in this respect must be carrying an injury.

The other concern is Weitering...I suspect he's also injured to the point where he's second guessing his efforts and really struggling with some aspects of execution. He looks in two minds whereas last year he showed great judgement. Nearly every game he's spending time off the ground looking uncomfortable.

Reply #21
As has already been said, we had a good crack but three things were the major factors imo. Our poor kicking for goal especially early in the game, we seemed to tire in the 2Q and eased off our pressure and they then took control, especially at stoppages, and thirdly, they are a much slicker and more skilled outfit than us atm.

We did as well as could be expected and the young guys got valuable development. Liked the look of young Fisher with a wonderful goal on debut.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
I thought Casbpult was good late but early on he wasn't getting into position properly and was constantly getting either muscled out of a contest or just losing any idea of where the ball would fall. Gee I'd love him to get right because when he plays well, he plays very well.

Murph was great early on but I assume they tagged him out of the game later?

Yes the young ones went missing - I have no problem with that they had a hard slog last Sunday so not surprising.

Daisy made some terrible errors - just unacceptable for his experience.

Cripps & Weiters both out of sorts - Cripps especially.

Thought Simmo recaptured some form.

Doch good in the second half. Thought Kruezer was good easy but fell away.

Gibbs didn't seem effective?

Also thought we got some Terrible non called frees which killed some Momentum too - blatant things that the Umps didn't call, very frustrating.

All in all that first half left me very excited about our future  ;D

Reply #23

Murph was great early on but I assume they tagged him out of the game later?

He was brilliant until they moved Miller on to him after 1/4 time.

Good selections this week by leaving out slowpokes Kerridge & Palmer against a fast team at Etihad but I felt Bolton pulled the wrong rein after 1/2 time when he moved  Weitering to defence and Rowe away from Lynch. I don't believe anybody could have cut off the passes to Lynch because of the Suns kicking skills and lack of pressure from our midfielders. The switch seemed to upset the balance of the defence and it certainly dismantled what had been a reasonably effective forward line structure during the first half.

Reply #24
He was brilliant until they moved Miller on to him after 1/4 time.

Good selections this week by leaving out slowpokes Kerridge & Palmer against a fast team at Etihad but I felt Bolton pulled the wrong rein after 1/2 time when he moved  Weitering to defence and Rowe away from Lynch. I don't believe anybody could have cut off the passes to Lynch because of the Suns kicking skills and lack of pressure from our midfielders. The switch seemed to upset the balance of the defence and it certainly dismantled what had been a reasonably effective forward line structure during the first half.

Actually RR I thought at the time that BB may have taken the opportunity to give our younger defenders a run on a couple of dangerous forwards like Lynch and Wright? I.e it was more of a player development move?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #25
Very impressed with Jack Silvagni tonight, ran hard both ways, used the ball beautifully, kicked 3 and should have had 4 or 5 as he made great position but passes were kicked either wide of him or over his head. Developing very nicely

Reply #26
We were pathetic tonight in the 3rd quarter.  We were comprehensively OUTCOACHED.  We have no forward line.   Looking at the forward line in the last quarter and looking at Crippa and Rowe down there- what the hell have they been doing all preseason?  Surely they have a system.

Daisy (1 tackle), Rowe (conceded 7) and Gibbs, soft... need to go.

Reply #27
Got back from the game and  there was a clear difference in the level of skill and pace between both teams....GC are probably the quickest team in the comp and after half time we didnt have the wheels to go with some of their players. Early we matched them, tackled hard and made the game a series of contests which suits our style but once we tired their pace and our poor kicking skills provided then with plenty of rebound opportunities and they hurt us on the rebound badly.
Didnt think their centre square setup did the damage it was their ball carriers off half back charging away and  creating the overlap and in the end they were just burning our blokes off..
Lynch got a lot of his marks through getting the initial break on his opponents and Rowe was a victim of that in the main...our man likes to push and shove but Lynch always had him losing front position and losing contact so his famous spoiling was a non event
Plowman and Marchbank were not big enough to play on either Lynch or Wright and with GC's quick ball movement it was always one on one contests which didnt allow for help defense...
Our midfield was down, Kruezer was ok without being great and apart from Docherty the defense struggled....up forward we were also poor, Casboult and Silvagni got some late junk time goals but I wasnt that impressed with their games.

Daisy was booed during the player intros, copped flak during the game from our supporters and even on the way home on the train the talk wasnt about Zac Fisher's goal or nice debut it was all about Daisy and what a waste of time he is....

Weitering down forward may need reviewing, played on May who looked unusually meek and mild but still struggled to get to contests....
Charlie Curnow..wasnt impressed apart from some good marks, lazy at picking up his man, not keen on too much running and when he does make the effort gets in the wrong places or is too late to the contest or offering a lead....either is too slow to pick up opponents or doesnt want to..

Fisher and Williamson give hope...both use the ball well and look at home playing seniors..Samo and Pickett have skill but not the composure yet...

Marchbank...great mark. nice kicking style but overcooks most kicks....and is a turnover merchant
Plowman...great defender but well beat tonight and his kicking was ordinary..

Port are similar to GC so I hope we have learned something and give a better account of ourselves next game....

Reply #28
Green Shoots for Round 4:

- Zac Fisher's debut and THAT goal of his. Reckon this kids another SOS recruiting master stroke.
- Solid games from a lot of our youngsters including SPS, Pickett, SOS and C. Curnow (apart from his kicking for goal)
- The team showing some mongrel when the Suns flogs tried to rough them up at Half Time

Negatives:
- Skill level, bad decision making and crap kicking for goal . Keeps costing us games but we never learn.

Overall, one shocking quarter and embarrassingly bad kicking for goal lost us the game, but lapses in games are to be expected when fielding such a young team with 9 of our players 21 and under.

I've seen enough from the kids coming through to be convinced that when it clicks, we're going to be awesome!!

GO BLUES!!

Reply #29
Okay we lost. But for a team playing 9 kids for the future it's hard not to be excited.

Fisher
Silvagni
Williamson
Pickett
Macreadie
Petrevski-Seton
C Curnow
Weitering
Marchbank

All class.
IN WADA WE TRUST