Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 36765 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #90
I think Bolton was trying not to lose the game rather than trying to win it, if that makes sense.  Leaving Rowe on Lynch and getting another defender to cut off his leads may have been a better option.

That makes perfect sense but getting the midfielders to apply pressure would have been even better.

We even tried two loose men in defence and left only 4 in attack (against 6) in an effort to close up the space and offer some potential pressure against the midfielders who were streaming forward - an interesting idea with obvious intent but Lynch (and Wright later in the game) had their kicking boot on, didn't miss and were able to roost them from outside 50 so they were always going to find space when the ball went forward quickly and was delivered without pressure on the kicker.

Reply #92
This might have been mentioned before but last night (maybe it was the haircut) I couldn't help thinking that Charlie Curnow bore a strong resemblance to the young Kouta - maybe it was wishful thinking after watching Kouta highlights on Open Mike and before the game..

Reply #93
His stats are inflated by the many one-two exchanges but I basically agree - his clearance skills and disposal skills are to be envied
The short one-two exchanges buy time and space.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #94
The short one-two exchanges buy time and space.

Undoubtedly but he is fast enough and has enough money to buy his own time and space.

Reply #95
The Thomas situation is very interesting and really puts me in a conundrum. I just want to state first I never would boo a Carlton player, i don't even boo the opposition, takes to much energy and I'm lazy.

Without doubt we all have seen Daisy play and more than entitled to have our opinions, From my perspective I just cant see why he is being selected to play. It cant be based on form, its simply not up to scratch even the easy stuff is looking difficult for him. Is it based on leadership on the ground? Well I've watched him on the ground (i go every week bar interstate) and he is no more vocal and than any of our other players.

A while ago a poster on here, i forget who, made the point that the reason we play him and support him is to create a positive image for the rest of the team, maybe the younger guys more than others will realise that we just wont turf you when you are coming to the end of your career. I'm sure alot of our younger players know that he is cooked and are observing how the club treats him. This in turn might effect them when it comes to the next contract signing or if they want to be one club players.

When Daisy finally gets the tap on the shoulder and he tells the rest of the group, and he leaves on a positive note, this will have a positive effect on the rest of the group.

I for one second do not blame Daisy for where he is, we made the offer, he took it, I'm sure we would all do the same.

One thing that gives me 100% confidence is that i know Bolts and the rest of the crew know how to handle this and will handle it correctly.
SOS - "I hated losing"

Reply #96
Undoubtedly but he is fast enough and has enough money to buy his own time and space.

:))
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #97
This might have been mentioned before but last night (maybe it was the haircut) I couldn't help thinking that Charlie Curnow bore a strong resemblance to the young Kouta - maybe it was wishful thinking after watching Kouta highlights on Open Mike and before the game..

RR there was one of our players - with ball tucked under Koutaesque - that burst through and out of the midfield churn, in Q1 I think, and it was young Mr T. Williamson!

That said, Charlie has am enviable physique and athleticism ala the great Kouta unquestionably....hopefully a similar ability to dominate matches arrives soon.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #98
The Thomas situation is very interesting and really puts me in a conundrum. I just want to state first I never would boo a Carlton player, i don't even boo the opposition, takes to much energy and I'm lazy.

Without doubt we all have seen Daisy play and more than entitled to have our opinions, From my perspective I just cant see why he is being selected to play. It cant be based on form, its simply not up to scratch even the easy stuff is looking difficult for him. Is it based on leadership on the ground? Well I've watched him on the ground (i go every week bar interstate) and he is no more vocal and than any of our other players.

A while ago a poster on here, i forget who, made the point that the reason we play him and support him is to create a positive image for the rest of the team, maybe the younger guys more than others will realise that we just wont turf you when you are coming to the end of your career. I'm sure alot of our younger players know that he is cooked and are observing how the club treats him. This in turn might effect them when it comes to the next contract signing or if they want to be one club players.

When Daisy finally gets the tap on the shoulder and he tells the rest of the group, and he leaves on a positive note, this will have a positive effect on the rest of the group.

I for one second do not blame Daisy for where he is, we made the offer, he took it, I'm sure we would all do the same.

One thing that gives me 100% confidence is that i know Bolts and the rest of the crew know how to handle this and will handle it correctly.

Very good post.

Bolton has said it many times. We are creating a environment.

How we handle Thomas is vital in maintaining that image.

Thomas gives his all and while his body has given up on him simply discarding him to the 2nds could cause more issues then him playing an average game.

Daisy I'm sure would even concede he earns a heap more then he can deliver but I still back the coaching group in. He must be providing something we need if he is still getting a game.

It just might be that the average fan can't see it.

Reply #99
RR there was one of our players - with ball tucked under Koutaesque - that burst through and out of the midfield churn, in Q1 I think, and it was young Mr T. Williamson!

That said, Charlie has am enviable physique and athleticism ala the great Kouta unquestionably....hopefully a similar ability to dominate matches arrives soon.

That Williamson kid is a freak.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #100
Makes you wonder how he lasted so long in the draft.

Reply #101
I can't remember any AFL team booing their own player, shameful.

Shame on those folk booing.
Disgraceful.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #102
Big picture guys - I was again pleased with what I saw. The kids are amazingly good considering our early into their career they are.

What do we expect to see? 

Had 9 players under 21 and went down by under 5 goals to a team who beat hawks by a record margin - all this the next week after playing in hard terrible condition that must have taxed our kids young bodies. How did essendon fare this week?

We had 8 kids in this match with the most experienced having 12 games to their name.  They all played in one game yet too many expect to see a stellar performance.

Think many need to lower their expectations - either your commited to the rebuild or your not. If your commited you have to be pleased with what your seeing.

I know I am.

I know I am 2
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #103
Daisy was always going to struggle to be accepted by the Carlton faithful. Big money, long term contract, from one of the arch enemy clubs, limited game time and limited on field effectiveness, associated with an unpopular coach and a failed regime, etc.

Reply #104
Daisy was always going to struggle to be accepted by the Carlton faithful. Big money, long term contract, from one of the arch enemy clubs, limited game time and limited on field effectiveness, associated with an unpopular coach and a failed regime, etc.

All the other things go out the window if the player turns out to be a 'gem'.
At the end of the day we really only care about how good they are.