Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Post Game Pandemonium: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 25785 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Post Game Pandemonium: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #92
That doesn't help. However, when we are strong, we can cope with poor umpiring. Just at the moment, we struggle with it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #93
Umpiring was poor. But it has struggled all year. Its not, in my view, the umpires who for the most part are excellent.  It is a very hard game to umpire.

The umpires are facing some challenges namely:

-Too many on the field. The move toward four field umpires will make matters worse as they get hesitant and look to defer decisions.

- frequent rule changes leading to confusion for all. The nominated ruckman example is the most recent.

-a clear directive that infringements not be penalised if the ball spills clear and play on is possible. We see frequent holding the ball, push in the back go unpunished and play on called.

-the use of microphones for TV. It removes some discretion from umpires and I don't think it is helpful. The public does not need to hear this and it puts pressure on.

-the practice of coaching and involvement in melees. Rather than telling players not to do this and that, just report them or award a free kick.

-the outrageous inconsistency where some venues do not have cameras for goal umpire decisions.

Reply #94
Good post Vivian.  I agree with all of that.  It is also hard to 'take the patch off' when you're watching your own team.  There is much more objectivity when watching a neutral game.

Reply #95
Anything off the ball should be penalised, if a player sits an opponent on his backside metres away from play or during a break an immediate free kick should be paid on the spot, this he-man nonsense is a blight on the game.
And while I'm at it, what's with allowing players to shepherd the man standing the mark?
If it's not against the rules it should be.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #98
Derm thinks highly of Charlie.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/24/young-blue-two-years-away-from-being-the-best-brereton/

And rightly so. He is so far ahead of our other young players. He is one of those rare players who will be able to take a game by the scruff and turn it in our favour. Let's hope he has a terrific career in Navy.

Reply #99
Anything off the ball should be penalised, if a player sits an opponent on his backside metres away from play or during a break an immediate free kick should be paid on the spot, this he-man nonsense is a blight on the game.
And while I'm at it, what's with allowing players to shepherd the man standing the mark?

Agree with all that.

Reply #100
Derm thinks highly of Charlie.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/24/young-blue-two-years-away-from-being-the-best-brereton/

Derm gets paid to shoot his mouth off, Carlton people would be well advised to ignore him.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #101
A very clear indication the umpiring was substandard- Zorko got a one week ban for hitting Plowman - absolutely in front and one metre from an umpire that was watching and didn't even award a free kick ffs!!

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/zorko-and-greene-cop-suspensions?station=melbourne

I couldn't believe that the umpire let that one go.  The only possible excuse is that the umpire thought that Plowman was faking it.  Perhaps all of the umpires should be punched in the guts so that they know what effect it has.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #102
Derm gets paid to shoot his mouth off, Carlton people would be well advised to ignore him.

He's got a good record with such predictions.

Reply #103

X2
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball