Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 23: Post Game Party: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 15463 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 23: Post Game Party: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #60
sbf, as always, you make some fair points. I reckon one possible reason for the coaching group looking miserable is that they got a reality check for how much work still needs to be done to be a genuine challenger, which then means more green shoot propaganda, more of a hard sell to fans etc., not to mention the actual real work of drafting, trading developing etc., and making sure it's all done right.

wrt to a PP, if I was the AFL, I would not be looking at the MM years at all. That IMO is in the past. I would tell the club :
- you have 5 RS nominations this year, one last year, one of whom is playing CHF and looks a chance to be the best player in the comp
- you have plenty of high draft picks, through draft and trades.
- you have a stated policy of playing youth, which makes it harder to win games
- you have been competitive most of the season, including being ahead in the 4th in 7 games, and including knocking over GWS and the Swans, and if you want to gild the lily, the Hawks as well.

In conclusion :

NO PP FOR YOU !!

Impossible to argue with any of that.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #61
Daniher and Brown both took until their 3rd year before they became strong consistent performers, and have really started to excel in their 4th years.

So assuming McKay can become as good as them, it won't be until 2020 season that he will be a force - that's still a long wait given the last 4 years of mediocrity.

The reasons why we [or Bris / GC] are where we are pretty is much irrelevant in regards to a PP for mine - it's simply that the draft should be used to help the comp equalise. It is also far from a panacea - 1 extra pick isn't really going to do much and is no guarantee that we will use it well anyway!!

Reply #62
Daniher and Brown both took until their 3rd year before they became strong consistent performers, and have really started to excel in their 4th years.

So assuming McKay can become as good as them, it won't be until 2020 season that he will be a force - that's still a long wait given the last 4 years of mediocrity.

The reasons why we [or Bris / GC] are where we are pretty is much irrelevant in regards to a PP for mine - it's simply that the draft should be used to help the comp equalise. It is also far from a panacea - 1 extra pick isn't really going to do much and is no guarantee that we will use it well anyway!!

Perhaps, but i was role playing. I very much doubt the AFL will see it that way.

Reply #63
Alot of crap and dribble being spoken here. Only the basis of our second half too many dills think the world has caved in. The fact is the season has been good, we haven't been bad the last few weeks given we have been down on personal, we made life horribly tough for good sides, led 7 times in last qtrs and lost, had a great win last week. For a side of kids we have done a good job.

Reply #64
Alot of crap and dribble being spoken here. Only the basis of our second half too many dills think the world has caved in. The fact is the season has been good, we haven't been bad the last few weeks given we have been down on personal, we made life horribly tough for good sides, led 7 times in last qtrs and lost, had a great win last week. For a side of kids we have done a good job.

Still in rebuild mode....plenty of renovating work to be done yet, have a better idea at the end of 2018 where we are going....your kids need to get to 50 games before you can really assess any value or lack of....

Reply #65
Curnow and Silvagni will be third year next year so we'd hardly be throwing kids to the wolves, McKay will be third year as well and even though he's only played a couple of games he won't have a kid's body in 2018.

Charlie Curnow is almost too good to be stuck in the F50 jumping at the ball, he could become the next Franklin. I'd like to see him is a Fraser Gehrig style role on the wing.

Nobody is going to want to run with Curnow then be forced to compete one on one when he floats forward within goal range. Then when he hits his prime, he'll be freaking impossible to match up on.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
We agree again, what the feck is going on! :o

Levi could have stayed in Melb and helped the NBs smash Box Hill!

Hahaha, yes!

Good point actually, never though of that. Collingwood lost yesterday so we only need to win to play finals. Not as if yesterday in Sydney meant too much.

Reply #67
Let's jump back a year ago:

30% of the current team had played just half a dozen games
30% of the current team were under 21 - basically teenagers
30% of the current team had never met or played with each other
30% of the current team had never played against fully grown men with 10 years elite AFL experience
30% of the current team had never actually played against teams like Hawthorn

Last night they played against an experienced elite team playing for a top 4 spot, a percentage gain, with the best midfield and Buddy Franklin in full flight.

We might have finished 2nd last on the ladder - but we are not the 2nd worst team in the league. 
We don't have the 2nd worst future compared to other playing lists...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #68
Liam Jones 1% watch

:(
Liam had a tough night at the office. He received a bit of a football lesson from one of the great forwards. Unfortunately with Plowman, Marchbank, Silvagni and Rowe all unavailable it was a job he had to do with little assistance and little option for a switch. At the best he'll have learned a few things to work on and be ready for the next contest.

Given he was a bit preoccupied with his opponent he would probably be a bit down in his 1%'s this week

But No! ;) :D

15 for the game...the next best was Melican from the Swans with 8...the next best Carlton player was Williamson with 4

At the end of the regular season Jones leads AFL for 1%'s per game with an average of 11.
1 Liam Jones           CARL       11
2 Alex Rance           RICH        9.5
3 Michael Hartley      ESS        9.4
4 Daniel Talia           ADEL        9.3

A minor stat no doubt....but we won something

We also won this :D
Kicks

1 Sam Docherty    460    
2 Dustin Martin            434    
3 Dylan Roberton    385    
4 Kade Simpson    377    
5 Andrew Gaff        371    
6 Zach Merrett        370    
7 Bryce Gibbs            362    
7 Bradley Hill        362    
9 Marc Murphy            360    
10 Heath Shaw        345    

..and this  ???

Kicks
Carlton 4965
Collingwood 4898
Essendon 4854

Do we kick too much  :-\

Reply #69
Ha good to get some positivity from anywhere possible!

Reply #70
I don't think one can blame Jones for Buddy's 10 goals.

He had no support defensively from the midfield - as per usual when our mids go missing they go TOTALLY missing and he had no help down back either.....

Buddy would have kicked 10 on anyone with such little support.

The second half belting was almost inevitable - the end of a long year for the kids and Sydney had a lot to play for....

Mention should be made that we had a lot of regular 22 guys out too - ACoS/Rowe, Marchbank, Plowman, Cripps and Curnow.

Take Kennedy and Hannebury out of their 22 and let's see how they go?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #71
I don't think one can blame Jones for Buddy's 10 goals.

He had no support defensively from the midfield - as per usual when our mids go missing they go TOTALLY missing and he had no help down back either.....

Buddy would have kicked 10 on anyone with such little support.

The second half belting was almost inevitable - the end of a long year for the kids and Sydney had a lot to play for....

Mention should be made that we had a lot of regular 22 guys out too - ACoS/Rowe, Marchbank, Plowman, Cripps and Curnow.

Take Kennedy and Hannebury out of their 22 and let's see how they go?

Hannebery didn't play, and neither did Papley.

Reply #72
i would like to ask our coaching panel is  HOW do the opposition always seem seem to have an open forward line with space to lead  and ours is ALWAYS crowded it not only the swans games it is been happening all year ? I think we have to look at our forward coach and defensive game plan.

Reply #73
i would like to ask our coaching panel is  HOW do the opposition always seem seem to have an open forward line with space to lead  and ours is ALWAYS crowded it not only the swans games it is been happening all year ? I think we have to look at our forward coach and defensive game plan.

Plenty on here agree, although apparently there is method to the madness. The shackles are supposedly going to be released, or at least loosened, next season.

Reply #74
Liam Jones 1% watch

:(
Liam had a tough night at the office. He received a bit of a football lesson from one of the great forwards. Unfortunately with Plowman, Marchbank, Silvagni and Rowe all unavailable it was a job he had to do with little assistance and little option for a switch. At the best he'll have learned a few things to work on and be ready for the next contest.

Given he was a bit preoccupied with his opponent he would probably be a bit down in his 1%'s this week

But No! ;) :D

15 for the game...the next best was Melican from the Swans with 8...the next best Carlton player was Williamson with 4

At the end of the regular season Jones leads AFL for 1%'s per game with an average of 11.
A minor stat no doubt....but we won something.

Also won most marks stat. Docherty with 199, Howe second with 181.
Keyboard warrior #24601