Skip to main content
Topic: SSM Plebiscite (Read 113699 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Father's Day ad pulled!

Reply #121
To be fair , his Muslim faith is clear on its views so there isnt much to explain....

Your post prompted me to have a quick look on google, but I can't find anything where he specifically states his own personal support for gay marriage. He may or may not support it, but I found nothing.

I've never watched even a second of The Project, but I'm guessing that he is a more progressive or moderate Muslim. Either way, it matters not.

Reply #122
Your post prompted me to have a quick look on google, but I can't find anything where he specifically states his own personal support for gay marriage. He may or may not support it, but I found nothing.

I've never watched even a second of The Project, but I'm guessing that he is a more progressive or moderate Muslim. Either way, it matters not.

I'm interested more to see if he would vote at all....would Muslims and other religions for that matter recognize the question/document presented to them
and abstain as it goes against their core beliefs/teachings? Would that actually help the Yes vote?

Reply #123
I'm interested more to see if he would vote at all....would Muslims and other religions for that matter recognize the question/document presented to them
and abstain as it goes against their core beliefs/teachings? Would that actually help the Yes vote?

I don't know Elwood. It would only help the yes vote if the abstainers intend to vote no.

Religious people take different things from their chosen religion. He doesn't come across as hard core to me, but then, as I stated, I don't watch him. He certainly took Margaret Court to task for her views on gay marriage, but never really gave away his own feelings.

Reply #124
I don't know Elwood. It would only help the yes vote if the abstainers intend to vote no.

Religious people take different things from their chosen religion. He doesn't come across as hard core to me, but then, as I stated, I don't watch him. He certainly took Margaret Court to task for her views on gay marriage, but never really gave away his own feelings.

He's not as moderate as he let's on.

I'm hoping he gets found out one day.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #125
He's not as moderate as he let's on.

I'm hoping he gets found out one day.

I'm happy to take your word on this Thry.

At any rate, his position on gay marriage is of no interest to me.

Reply #127
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/its-not-okay-to-be-homophobic-canberra-contractor-sacked-for-vote-no-facebook-post/news-story/26c5289ba4415f4b2531baa181d410b8

Sacked for voting no, this is exactly why Donald Trump is the leader of the free world and Pauline Hanson gets more powerful every year.

People are sick of the bullying left.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #128
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/its-not-okay-to-be-homophobic-canberra-contractor-sacked-for-vote-no-facebook-post/news-story/26c5289ba4415f4b2531baa181d410b8

Sacked for voting no, this is exactly why Donald Trump is the leader of the free world and Pauline Hanson gets more powerful every year.

People are sick of the bullying left.

Firstly, i'm very much a big 'yes' voter. Although i don't understand any of the logic involved with voting no, i support peoples freedom of speech to do so.

Considering the government BELIEVES that the SSM is a debateable issue, hence the plebiscite, then anyone being singled out (one way or another) and losing their job over it should be grounds for an unfair dismissal case.

Now, if it is to be believed that voting no is indeed homophobic and any court case would back up the firing of said employee on these grounds, then why are we having a debate/plebiscite to begin with?! Just change the 'man and a woman' part, move on with life and pocket the $122 million.

Reply #129
This debate highlights, albeit in a small way, the intersection point between morality/ethics and having an opinion/freedom of speech. Can every opinion be justified by freedom pf speech, irrespective of how disgusting ? Are there some things that are beyond "matters of opinion" ? I am not a post modernist, nor am I a cultural relativist, and I say that this issue is a basic human right and should not be a matter of debate.

Reply #130
.... I say that this issue is a basic human right and should not be a matter of debate.

...but haven't the government created this problem themselves by holding the plebiscite in the first place.

Reply #132
This issue and others that will surface in coming weeks and months are the very reason why so many opposed the vote.

The gutless politicians have chosen an anarchist path in preference to leading!

If this vote is close either way, things will get very bad!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
This issue and others that will surface in coming weeks and months are the very reason why so many opposed the vote.

The gutless politicians have chosen an anarchist path in preference to leading!

If this vote is close either way, things will get very bad!

I'm assuming that the figures will be released. I'm expecting a 90% vote for yes. Although, it is a little hard to predict what some of our northerners who vote for Pauline and co will do.

Reply #134
I'm assuming that the figures will be released. I'm expecting a 90% vote for yes. Although, it is a little hard to predict what some of our northerners who vote for Pauline and co will do.

I think it's highly unlikely that the vote will be as definitive as you think, in the political circles the scuttlebutt is that it's going to be line-ball!
The Force Awakens!