Skip to main content
Topic: SSM Plebiscite (Read 113729 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Father's Day ad pulled!

Reply #165
Yeah right. People voting no are not in any way influenced by religion, family, decades of indoctrination etc. It's all down to some loony in a rainbow onesie in a car park.

Penny Wong has been on Q+A about a dozen times over the last decade, each time debating exactly the same points, giving the same facts, the same answers, each time to a newly minted conservative, expressing exactly the same views, opinions etc. Rather tiring wouldn't you say ? At the same time, mental health issues and suicide attempts have spiked in the wake of the plebiscite.

Meanwhile, Abbott has declared climate change to be a third order issue, and has threatened to cross the floor if the government introduces clean energy targets.

But no matter what happens, we must at all times tip toe through the tulips very quietly, very daintily, very respectfully, and most of all, very slowly. Never must we even attempt to rush anyone, or say anything that may even slightly upset the apple cart. We must hear everyone's opinion, then debate, the hear those opinions again, then rinse and repeat. And proceed slowly at all costs. There is much thinking to do. Apparently several decades of climate science and several decades of gay equality isn't enough. there is still much thinking and much debating and much respecting of one anther's opinions, still to occur.

Shh. Be quiet. Keep still. Don't move. Someone is giving their opinion. We must all be respectful and attentive.

Reply #166
Shh. Be quiet. Keep still. Don't move. Someone is giving their opinion. We must all be respectful and attentive.

Isn't that what is being demanded, is there irony in aggressively touting people to be respectfully attentive to someone desires?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #167
Isn't that what is being demanded, is there irony in aggressively touting people to be respectfully attentive to someone desires?

I think the batteries in your irony meter might need replacement.

We have an opportunity to start the process of making our neck of the woods a better place, even if it's only slightly better.  A happy LGBT group means our society has improved, and we all stand to benefit from that, not just gays and lesbians. More tolerance, more compassion and more equality.

Forget about the left, right and middle. Forget about shock jocks, christian groups and little old ladies in car parks. Forget about exchanging witless barbs with some idiot (i.e me) on a footy forum. Think of the bigger picture.

As heterosexual people, we may not see how this affects the LGBT mob, but affect them it most certainly does.

Reply #168
Yeah right. People voting no are not in any way influenced by religion, family, decades of indoctrination etc. It's all down to some loony in a rainbow onesie in a car park.

Penny Wong has been on Q+A about a dozen times over the last decade, each time debating exactly the same points, giving the same facts, the same answers, each time to a newly minted conservative, expressing exactly the same views, opinions etc. Rather tiring wouldn't you say ? At the same time, mental health issues and suicide attempts have spiked in the wake of the plebiscite.

Meanwhile, Abbott has declared climate change to be a third order issue, and has threatened to cross the floor if the government introduces clean energy targets.

But no matter what happens, we must at all times tip toe through the tulips very quietly, very daintily, very respectfully, and most of all, very slowly. Never must we even attempt to rush anyone, or say anything that may even slightly upset the apple cart. We must hear everyone's opinion, then debate, the hear those opinions again, then rinse and repeat. And proceed slowly at all costs. There is much thinking to do. Apparently several decades of climate science and several decades of gay equality isn't enough. there is still much thinking and much debating and much respecting of one anther's opinions, still to occur.

Hear hear! Love your work. It's really not that difficult is it? These consenting adults would like to be able to access legal marriage... done, next!

And as for Abbott crossing the floor on the climate issue... yes, please do cross the floor, Tony... and keep going out the door and then run so fast that you speed through time until you finally arrive in 1962, England. You're home! You're where you belong!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #169
Could you imagine if that young girl was fired for voting "Yes"?

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #170
Could you imagine if that young girl was fired for voting "Yes"?
It will happen. Catholic school teachers for e.g. are being told to be careful with what they put on social medial about the SSM debate.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #171

Well said Paul!

I heard a bozo on the ABC radio this morning claiming that the ABC was biased because it refused to acknowledge that carbon dioxide is a harmless gas that can't possibly be causing global temperatures to rise  :o

I just ticked 'yes' on my poll form and the dog didn't propose marriage.  I had a cup of coffee and now I'm heading back to the workshop.  I guess the sky could fall before I get there  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #172
There is one part of the equation that I think is missing in the SSM debate.

The definition of marriage can be very different for many people.

A lot of no people seem to view marriage as being one thing, and this attempt to create equality regarding marriage meaning that the fabric of what people believe about marriage is being attacked/changed.  Now whether or not it needs to change is a different debate, but in an effort to appease these people, shouldn't we label it something other than Marriage, apply the same rights, such as a civil union, rather than marriage, and then move on with our lives??

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #173
There is one part of the equation that I think is missing in the SSM debate.

The definition of marriage can be very different for many people.

A lot of no people seem to view marriage as being one thing, and this attempt to create equality regarding marriage meaning that the fabric of what people believe about marriage is being attacked/changed.  Now whether or not it needs to change is a different debate, but in an effort to appease these people, shouldn't we label it something other than Marriage, apply the same rights, such as a civil union, rather than marriage, and then move on with our lives??

I can't agree with that Thry.  Marriage is defined in law and that legal definition is all that will change.  People's beliefs about marriage need not change at all. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #174
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-09-20/carlton-statement

THE Carlton Football Club prides itself on being inclusive, and a leader in engendering equality and a deep sense of belonging.

The issue of 'same sex marriage' is essentially one of equality; and so the Club encourages all of its people to have their say in this important national vote.

As a Club, we respect that this is about personal choice, and as such don't intend to campaign on the issue, but we do strongly reinforce our Club's absolute commitment to equality - and a community that is free from any form of discrimination.

Reply #175
It will happen. Catholic school teachers for e.g. are being told to be careful with what they put on social medial about the SSM debate.

My son and his girlfriend are both non Catholic primary teachers in the Catholic school system and am happy to report
both have said there has been no direction on how to vote or debate on the issue.

Reply #176
My son and his girlfriend are both non Catholic primary teachers in the Catholic school system and am happy to report
both have said there has been no direction on how to vote or debate on the issue.
A person I know very intimately and shall remain nameless was told be their principle what I typed above and that it was a memo from the CEO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #177
Anyone who is trying to force someone to vote a particular way is missing the point.

This vote is about a fundamental right, a freedom to think and be thought of in a specific way within society and the law.

Coercion, whether it is passive or aggressive, "For " or "Against", is not an act encapsulating a freedom, it's oppression!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #178
I can't agree with that Thry.  Marriage is defined in law and that legal definition is all that will change.  People's beliefs about marriage need not change at all.

Sure, but that's not the point I am making DJC.

What we think about someone else's idea of anything is quite irrelevant (Ironically what we are being asked to vote on is somewhat the same).

The fact is, that some people really cherish and treasure what it might mean to them, and they might see the idea of Marriage being redefined by this action devalued accordingly (which I don't quite understand, because my relationship with my wife will not change as a result of this vote irrespective of legislation changing regarding it).

It's a little bit like ideological change.  You can't push it on people, and then wonder why they get upset about it, and on top of that label them facsist nazi bigots to go with it.

Again, fight this stuff with facts and debate, not a sacking on the back of saying, it is ok to vote no or coersion.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #179
A person I know very intimately and shall remain nameless was told be their principle what I typed above and that it was a memo from the CEO.
Not doubting what you said was true GTC...maybe some schools/principles are not bothering to act on that advice, I know Facebook is frowned upon
and teachers are told to be careful what they say and hide their identity a bit more.