Skip to main content
Topic: SSM Plebiscite (Read 113640 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Father's Day ad pulled!

Reply #180
https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/20/18/16/jamison-hits-out-at-carlton-on-marriage

Jamison, who left the club at the end of last season after 150 matches, suggested it wasn't good enough.

"You can fence sit when you are debating whether to have a twilight grand final not when it comes to equality," he wrote on Twitter.

Carlton AFLW star Darcy Vescio has also been a prominent campaigner for same-sex marriage.

Reply #181
Good statement from the club, no need to join the bullying campaign.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #182
Good statement from the club, no need to join the bullying campaign.

Tend to agree...he says" You can fence sit when you are debating whether to have a twilight grand final not when it comes to equality," he wrote on Twitter."
I'm not sure the club can sit anywhere else but to encourage people to make up their own mind..
Would the club have to take any endorsement of a yes or no to the members to vote on first?

Reply #183
Sure, but that's not the point I am making DJC.

What we think about someone else's idea of anything is quite irrelevant (Ironically what we are being asked to vote on is somewhat the same).

The fact is, that some people really cherish and treasure what it might mean to them, and they might see the idea of Marriage being redefined by this action devalued accordingly (which I don't quite understand, because my relationship with my wife will not change as a result of this vote irrespective of legislation changing regarding it).

It's a little bit like ideological change.  You can't push it on people, and then wonder why they get upset about it, and on top of that label them facsist nazi bigots to go with it.

Again, fight this stuff with facts and debate, not a sacking on the back of saying, it is ok to vote no or coersion.

My point is that marriage isn't going to be re-defined if the 'yes' vote gets up and parliament passes legislation.  All that will do is to take things back to how they were before Little Johnny Howard re-defined marriage to suit his values in 2004.  That was done immediately after the UK Parliament passed the Civil Partnership Act 2004 which gave same-sex couples the same legal rights as heterosexual couples.  Of course, the Civil Partnership Act 2004 was replaced by the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013.  It's ironic that our society is more conservative than the 'whinging Poms' we like to deride.

I usually have the ABC radio on when I'm in my workshop and I hear all sorts of people trying to justify their position on marriage equality.  It's not really a debate; one side argues for equality, the other side talks about the evils of the Safe Schools Program or tries to invent a biblical prohibition on same-sex marriage.  One f-wit went so far as to suggest that Hitler did the right thing when he sent homosexuals to concentration camps  :o

I grew up in an era in which homosexuals were vilified and 'poofter bashing' was an accepted form of amusement.  My views have changed and I have LGBTIQ friends and family members who are no threat to me and my way of life.  I can't say that about the religious right and their intolerance of anything that doesn't conform to their narrow view of the world.

I have watched Penny Wong debate Cory Bernardi and cringed at his despicable insinuation that allowing same-sex marriage will lead to bestiality.  I also heard on the news today that a man was convicted of marrying a 14 year old girl despite welfare officers telling him, the child and the child's mother that it would be illegal.  The faith of those involved wasn't disclosed but I think that I am confident in believing that it is one that is opposed to same-sex marriage.

And what about the young couple whose marriage in a Presbyterian church was cancelled because the bride to be posted something in favour of marriage equality on Facebook?  How dare that so-called minister destroy the hopes of a faithful young couple because their views are more progressive than his warped sense of what is right?

I think that people have every right to debate this issue; but with facts, not bigoted, sectarian tripe  >:(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #184
I like what they have said, too.  There are many that are looking at organisations for their stance, however, if you are an employee it can cause a disconnect if you don't agree with your employer's stance.  I think that they have strongly said where they stand on the issue, however, put no pressure on anyone in the club for the way they may vote.

Looking at the CFC facebook page, there are many that are disappointed with the statement.  The Yes' obviously think that it isn't strong enough and the No's may think that it doesn't really support their view.

Reply #185
The bullying left are already attacking Carlton for fence sitting.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #186
My point is that marriage isn't going to be re-defined if the 'yes' vote gets up and parliament passes legislation.  All that will do is to take things back to how they were before Little Johnny Howard re-defined marriage to suit his values in 2004.  That was done immediately after the UK Parliament passed the Civil Partnership Act 2004 which gave same-sex couples the same legal rights as heterosexual couples.  Of course, the Civil Partnership Act 2004 was replaced by the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013.  It's ironic that our society is more conservative than the 'whinging Poms' we like to deride.

I usually have the ABC radio on when I'm in my workshop and I hear all sorts of people trying to justify their position on marriage equality.  It's not really a debate; one side argues for equality, the other side talks about the evils of the Safe Schools Program or tries to invent a biblical prohibition on same-sex marriage.  One f-wit went so far as to suggest that Hitler did the right thing when he sent homosexuals to concentration camps  :o

I grew up in an era in which homosexuals were vilified and 'poofter bashing' was an accepted form of amusement.  My views have changed and I have LGBTIQ friends and family members who are no threat to me and my way of life.  I can't say that about the religious right and their intolerance of anything that doesn't conform to their narrow view of the world.

I have watched Penny Wong debate Cory Bernardi and cringed at his despicable insinuation that allowing same-sex marriage will lead to bestiality.  I also heard on the news today that a man was convicted of marrying a 14 year old girl despite welfare officers telling him, the child and the child's mother that it would be illegal.  The faith of those involved wasn't disclosed but I think that I am confident in believing that it is one that is opposed to same-sex marriage.

And what about the young couple whose marriage in a Presbyterian church was cancelled because the bride to be posted something in favour of marriage equality on Facebook?  How dare that so-called minister destroy the hopes of a faithful young couple because their views are more progressive than his warped sense of what is right?

I think that people have every right to debate this issue; but with facts, not bigoted, sectarian tripe  >:(
missed the point I was trying to make entirely.

I can't communicate it well enough.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #187
missed the point I was trying to make entirely.

I can't communicate it well enough.

That's the problem with online debates Thry.  Perhaps we'll catch up after a win and agree about everything  :)

I should add that I'm not having a go at your contributions Thry, just pointing out that the 'debate' is one-sided if you don't accept fundamentalist religious statements of belief.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #188
Thank God the right doesn't bully.  They just stand up for Christian values and defend their cultural heritage.  It's not their fault if people who try to move Australia out of the 1950s get hurt in the process.

Reply #189

I always had my doubts about Jammo  :)

As for fence-sitting, that's as strong an endorsement for a 'yes' vote as you can have without actually coming out and saying "vote 'yes'".  However, it's clear that a lot of Carlton supporters would have preferred the club to have been more forthright in supporting marriage equality.  I suspect that they are more your average supporter than the "bullying left".  The "bullying right" hasn't responded yet; I reckon they are locked in a debate over how to spell 'repudiate'  ;)

Reply #190
Thank God the right doesn't bully.  They just stand up for Christian values and defend their cultural heritage.  It's not their fault if people who try to move Australia out of the 1950s get hurt in the process.

Not sure why you feel the need to attack Christians? There are plenty of yes Christian votes, not so many from that other religion that the left love to defend.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #191
As for fence-sitting, that's as strong an endorsement for a 'yes' vote as you can have without actually coming out and saying "vote 'yes'". 

Agreed, not good enough for the bullies though. HeraldSun article said we are the only club that haven't backed the AFL's Yes campaign.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #192
Headline on Sunrise, carlton refuse to support same sex marriage.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #193
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/carlton-blues/weak-hollow-disappointing-fans-condemn-carlton-on-marriage-equality-statement-20170920-gylk2b.html

A disgruntled AFL fan has written a scathing letter to the Carlton Football Club saying she will cancel her membership after the release of the club's stance on same-sex marriage.

The Blues released a statement on Twitter on Wednesday that failed to endorse the yes campaign on marriage equality, as Australians vote in a nation-wide postal survey on the issue.

The controversial stance has already been met by a flood of backlash with AFL fans taking to social media to dub it "weak", "hollow" and "disappointing" while others labelled it an attack on equality and human rights.

The AFL has backed the 'yes' campaign as have Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne and Collingwood in the past fortnight, joining long-term campaigners Sydney and St Kilda - who pioneered the annual pride game - on the issue.

Lifelong Carlton supporter Rebecca Hanley said she had been a paid-up member of the club since 2004, but she vowed this year would be her last and she would be terminating her membership.

"I'm a lifelong Carlton supporter and have been a Carlton member for 13 consecutive years," Ms Hanley wrote in a letter sent to  Fairfax Media.

"I will not be renewing my Carlton membership in 2018 or future years due to the club's public statement on same-sex marriage.

"To call Carlton a 'leader in engendering equality' was a hollow statement in light of the lack of action on this important social issue.

"Now is the time to stand up. Now is the time to speak out."

In a short statement, the Blues declared themselves to be a "leader in engendering equality", but fell short of recommending a yes vote.

"The issue of 'same-sex marriage' is essentially one of equality and so the club encourages all of its people to have their say in this important national vote," it stated.

"As a club, we respect that this is about personal choice, and as such don't intend to campaign on the issue, but we do strongly reinforce our club's absolute commitment to equality – and a community that is free from any form of discrimination."

Ms Hanley, from Rathscar in central Victoria, told Fairfax Media that she would remain a Carlton supporter - like her father before her and her daughter after - but could no longer in good conscience contribute financially to the club.

She said she was shocked and disappointed with her beloved team's statement, which "wouldn't have satisfied anyone really, yes or no voters".

Other Carlton fans said the club had lost their loyalty and they were "embarrassed and shocked" by their stance.

"This is terrible," one fan posted on Twitter. "I am never supporting Carlton again."

Another Carlton fan, Michael Wilkinson, accused the club of being backward in its attitude to same-sex marriage when compared to other AFL clubs.

"The most disappointed I have ever been as a Carlton supporter," he tweeted. "Such a poor statement while other clubs and the AFL are getting it so right."

Former Carlton defender Michael Jamison has also hit out at his former club over the statement.

Jamison, who left the club at the end of last season after 150 matches, suggested it wasn't good enough.

"You can fence sit when you are debating whether to have a twilight grand final not when it comes to equality," he wrote on Twitter.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #194
Headline on Sunrise, carlton refuse to support same sex marriage.

Ah, it's back to kicking Carlton season.

Reminds me of the lead-up to the trade / draft period in every year for the last 10 or 15.

But apparently I'm paranoid in saying this is not an accident, and public opinion has no influence over the destination potential trade targets choose! ::)

Perhaps Kochie should ask some of his players about their on-field sledges calling opponents "Weak Poofters!", and the Port fans in the boundary line crowd pissing themselves laughing rather than reporting the incident!

Do not try and end the bullying, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no bullying. Then you'll see that it is not the bullying that ends, it is only your choice.
The Force Awakens!