Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 68718 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #150
Zorko, Ballantyne, Diver Thomas, Jack Stevens....

Zorko is the worst, think its been three season's now and we let D.Beams run around the same way and assist him last time....think Zorko had the footy 20 times in the first half with three goals and I saw him on his own for a fair amount of that time...either the coaching staff dont have a clue or the playing group are not listening. From memory we didnt have the players with the wheels to go with Zorko and its been the same with Stevens...
Robbie Gray is another we seem to put little planning into either.....

Reply #151
I understand your point EB1 but in fairness players of the ilk of Dusty are close to impossible to stop even when you have a much stronger midfield group then ours as options to negate him.  Take his finals form last year the guy was a raging bull and seemed to just get better with every game and finishing with the norm smith around his neck.

I'm pretty sure the crows would have spent a hell of a lot of time trying to quiet him. Didn't work. That's what makes these guys the best and true champions of the game.

I get more frustrated when lesser lights beat up on us like small forwards of years ago....Blair, Ballantine and Thomas are a few I recall that used to get my blood boiling.

Take your point Shawny but we have a few players who lose interest when it comes to manning up some players....Ed Curnow excepted, I guess Ed getting his larynx damaged
via Dusty probably doesnt encourage the rest of our blokes to want to mix it when the umps ignore his raised "dont argue" fend off's.

Reply #152
Take your point Shawny but we have a few players who lose interest when it comes to manning up some players....Ed Curnow excepted, I guess Ed getting his larynx damaged via Dusty probably doesnt encourage the rest of our blokes to want to mix it when the umps ignore his raised "dont argue" fend off's.

But it seems that it was Cotchin who got Ed in the throat.

Whoever does play on Dusty needs to work on applying a chicken wing tackle to the fend off arm.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #153
We usually do leave Dusty...our players dont want to stand anywhere near him, actually saw Gibbs trying to swap players so he didnt have to man him up.......

Me too. I think it was with Zac Fisher  ;D
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #154
The kind of action that made me lose faith in him.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #155
I think that is normal, when you are the Carlton of recent times you don't put your limited available attacking weapons on guard duty.

We don't have enough experienced attacking talent to leave the ones we do have tagging!

Malthouse went tag crazy in the end, a sign he had lost it, his whole plan was stop him, stop him, stop him, stop him, stop him, etc., etc., etc., leaving the possibility of a win to dumb luck. While it's true you have to stop the opposition scoring to win, you still must score yourself!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #156
I think that is normal, when you are the Carlton of recent times you don't put your limited available attacking weapons on guard duty.

We don't have enough experienced attacking talent to leave the ones we do have tagging!

Malthouse went tag crazy in the end, a sign he had lost it, his whole plan was stop him, stop him, stop him, stop him, stop him, etc., etc., etc., leaving the possibility of a win to dumb luck. While it's true you have to stop the opposition scoring to win, you still must score yourself!

Malthouse wanted our players to run both ways, sadly we didn't have many who did including our captain.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #157
But it seems that it was Cotchin who got Ed in the throat.

Whoever does play on Dusty needs to work on applying a chicken wing tackle to the fend off arm.
Indeed. If he uses that arm, train to grab it and twist it or yank on it. He can't handball with one hand (I won't get into what the umpires see: that is a different tale).
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #158
Malthouse wanted our players to run both ways, sadly we didn't have many who did including our captain.

Including Judd, ever the obedient one.

One has to wonder why, despite never ending proclamations of a full cultural reset, big big changes at the club's upper levels, unprecedented levels of player turnover, the club cannot find one player, not a single one, to replace Murphy the Marshmallow as captain ? 60, 70, 80 ? players have worn the Navy Blue in the last few years, and yet here we are.

Maybe the problem isn't Murphy ?

Reply #159

One has to wonder why, despite never ending proclamations of a full cultural reset, big big changes at the club's upper levels, unprecedented levels of player turnover, the club cannot find one player, not a single one, to replace Murphy the Marshmallow as captain ? 60, 70, 80 ? players have worn the Navy Blue in the last few years, and yet here we are.

Murphy will move aside, just not this year, the time is not yet right. Long term candidates to replace him are now in their final year of preparation. Better not to thrust them into the deep end prematurely and until they are fully ready and available. That could be a disaster as we have seen elsewhere. I will be fascinated to see how we play this year, especially in the light of the last batch of list changes.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #160
Murphy will move aside, just not this year, the time is not yet right. Long term candidates to replace him are now in their final year of preparation. Better not to thrust them into the deep end prematurely and until they are fully ready and available. That could be a disaster as we have seen elsewhere. I will be fascinated to see how we play this year, especially in the light of the last batch of list changes.

No doubt cookie. I guess my point is that either :
a. Murphy isn't that bad, or
b. He is bad, which means the rest of our recent teams, past and present, have been positively dire in terms of leadership. 

Reply #161

Why dwell in the past? Murphy may well still play in a flag but not as Captain.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #163
Why dwell in the past? Murphy may well still play in a flag but not as Captain.

Not dwelling on the past, merely providing a context for my opinion.

I'm the last person you'll find dwelling on the past.  :D

Reply #164
No doubt cookie. I guess my point is that either :
a. Murphy isn't that bad, or
b. He is bad, which means the rest of our recent teams, past and present, have been positively dire in terms of leadership.

I don't think our ranks were exactly bursting with leadership potential P. I have confidence though that this is being seriously addressed but it just takes a bit of time, especially with the focus on youth.
Reality always wins in the end.