Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 68707 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #225
I think it is along those lines Kruddler... Richmond didn’t share the gate in a year we only played once, we then ended it the following year...

Thanks.

Good to see my memory still works.

Reply #226
It's the age old question - did the Crows lose it or did the Tigers win it ? I reckon the latter.
I know where the Premiership Cup resides, which is the only answer to the question about last year's GF.....

My one fervent hope is they see the flag unfurled before the first game and immediately get an increase in their delusions of grandeur. 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #227
I know where the Premiership Cup resides, which is the only answer to the question about last year's GF.....

My one fervent hope is they see the flag unfurled before the first game and immediately get an increase in their delusions of grandeur.

This is also my hope, but i see little evidence of a team with its head up its ar$e. They look pretty disciplined and focussed based on their admittedly rather scant 2018 form line.

Reply #228
This is also my hope, but i see little evidence of a team with its head up its ar$e. They look pretty disciplined and focussed based on their admittedly rather scant 2018 form line.

They are a very good chance of going back to back.  Unfortunately.  Richmond used to beat itself with its lack of faith in its ability.

A little hubris might serve them VERY well.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #229
They are a very good chance of going back to back.  Unfortunately.  Richmond used to beat itself with its lack of faith in its ability.

A little hubris might serve them VERY well.

you're kidding surely.

I'm calling a return to 9th-mond - and Dusty getting his just desserts early in the season (ditto that sniper Cotchin).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #230
you're kidding surely.

I'm calling a return to 9th-mond - and Dusty getting his just desserts early in the season (ditto that sniper Cotchin).

I wish I was joking.

Fact of the matter is, that you look at their list, how they played in 2017, and the fact that the main stumbling Richmond always had was itself and its lack of winning belief, and you have a very dangerous combination of factors.

They are young enough, experienced enough, and have the right amount of talent in the right places to mean they could very well go back to back.  The only other ingredient they need is a little bit of luck.

Ironically they are not that good, but I think the competition has never looked so even, and that you have a hard time splitting 1st to 12th.

Paul Hewson

Reply #231
Richmond finished with 15 wins, equal with Crows and Cats, and a better % than Geelong. They went on to win the flag. If they're "not that good", what does that make us ?

Reply #232
Richmond finished with 15 wins, equal with Crows and Cats, and a better % than Geelong. They went on to win the flag. If they're "not that good", what does that make us ?

I think you are confusing things by including us in this discussion.

They are "not that good" relative to the rest of the competition.

They are still Good.

Paul Hewson

Reply #233
I think you are confusing things by including us in this discussion.

They are "not that good" relative to the rest of the competition.

They are still Good.

They finished ahead of 15 other teams at the end of the H/A season and ahead of 17 others at the end of the finals series, and you can't get more ahead than that IMO.

If that's how you define ""not that good" relative to the rest of the competition", then I seriously look forward to the day when we achieve a similar status.

Reply #234
They finished ahead of 15 other teams at the end of the H/A season and ahead of 17 others at the end of the finals series, and you can't get more ahead than that IMO.

If that's how you define ""not that good" relative to the rest of the competition", then I seriously look forward to the day when we achieve a similar status.

I think you are simply picking on terminology.

When they play footy they don't impress me, they are blue collar and they are not that good.

Last year, they found a way to keep winning when I thought they wouldn't (at the pointy end of the season).

I still don't think they are top 4 material (they did sneak in on the back of a couple of weird results) and then won the first game which I thought they wouldn't because I didnt think they were that good.

Make sense??

I still think that they will possibly go back to back, but they could easily slip and miss finals altogether.

The thing is, I think Richmond's biggest issue has been themselves.  They were mentally fragile and last year they found a way to rise above it.

Paul Hewson

Reply #235
Finding a way to win is the sign of a good team. A team that has just won a flag is never "not that good." Whether you perceive them as blue chip or blue collar is not relevant.

If they have as many plonkers, plodders and b-graders as some suggest, then their recent flag entitles them to more respect, not less.

When a team with too much talent wins a flag, that gets poo-pooed because well, of course they're going to win with so many A graders - even I could coach team X to a flag with that talent. When a team of plonkers win a flag, then it's because they got lucky, competition was average, GF opponent had an off day etc.

Winning a flag is incredibly hard. Any team that does so is very good. Period.

Reply #236
I heard part of an interview with Brandon Ellis in which he talked about Richmond’s preparation for 2017.  They wanted to tweak the culture and set about that by going hard with their best available 22 in the pre-season games (winning 2 of 3).  He said that gave them a more positive approach to the season.

I wonder if Bolts has taken that on board  ???

Either way, I reckon it will be a close contest.  If Richmond is off the pace, we will take advantage ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #237
Does that mean they smash their teammates at training by slamming them two seconds after they take  a mark or run through blokes with their head over the ball?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #238
Does that mean they smash their teammates at training by slamming them two seconds after they take  a mark or run through blokes with their head over the ball?

Cotchin must have spent most of the pre season learning how to snipe...

Reply #239
Cotchin must have spent most of the pre season learning how to snipe...

All it takes is a few minutes of Hodge or Selwood footage and you are in the know, the next part, being a prick, comes naturally to some! :o

I respect Hodge, he's a prick, but he takes what he gives and doesn't whine about it.

Cotchin and Dimma bitch to the media and umpires the minute someone tries to hand back what Cotchin tries to hand out! They offer him up like he's a victim, it's just a smokescreen so Dusty can run around and poke a few more people in the throat! ;)
The Force Awakens!