Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Series - 5 days away (Read 10289 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Series - 5 days away

Reply #15
Lang is almost the most interesting of the newbies for me.

Cost us nothing and with Smedts being a bit disappointing I sort of forgot about him but then I thought - he's just about Geelongs best in a final and still only 22. Quick and can kick goals. Former first rounder (yet another one - we must have 20 on the list these days).

We only got him cheap because of their Ablett related salary cap squeeze.

Could he be better than I thought? Hopefully he's fit enough to play JOT.

Lang has an ankle injury and may not be right until the real season starts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Also looking forward to Polson.

So quick and classy. Pretty sure he'll play.

Yeah, I really like Polson as well. He kind of reminds me a bit of a young Marc Murphy when he runs with ball in hand.

Reply #17
Yeah, I really like Polson as well. He kind of reminds me a bit of a young Marc Murphy when he runs with ball in hand.

Perhaps that's because he's the spitting image of Murphy.  I couldn't tell them apart when they played together  ::)

It would be great if Polson could cement a spot in the 22.  We need the young blokes to step up and give us real midfield depth.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Perhaps that's because he's the spitting image of Murphy.  I couldn't tell them apart when they played together  ::)

It would be great if Polson could cement a spot in the 22.  We need the young blokes to step up and give us real midfield depth.
I'm a bit worried that Polson isn't big enough and his foot skills are far from elite from what I have seen.  I know there are others his size who have succeeded (Murphy is one), but when you are smaller, you can't just be good, you have to be exceptional.

I will be happy to be proven wrong.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #19
Polson reminds me of Wright and McLean when they started off, although McLean was an elite kick before being injured!

Polson looks like he has all the brains in the world, and that will create him time and space as long as he gets more exposure and finds his role. I hope he'll be one of those players who can see the game unfolding and will be there prepared and waiting for the ball to arrive.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Has the guys got any 'tricks'?

Could he cameo as a small forward too?

A lot of others ahead of him for a midfield gig, most with quite some versatility to play other roles too.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21
A lot of others ahead of him for a midfield gig, most with quite some versatility to play other roles too.

Doubt it, there are a lot of dumb footballers that cannot tie their shoe laces let alone be adaptable.

Polson will potentially be Wright like, in that you will be able to play him anywhere at anytime of the game and know what you are getting.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Polson has been used as a run with tagger in the twos, probably doesnt get enough footy at this stage of his development.....also his kicking as TonyO suggested isnt his strong point IMO. Think he will get some senior games later in the season but given we have introduced a new bunch of young mids onto the list he will need to show something this season to get another contract IMO...

Reply #23
Polson has been used as a run with tagger in the twos, probably doesnt get enough footy at this stage of his development.....also his kicking as TonyO suggested isnt his strong point IMO. Think he will get some senior games later in the season but given we have introduced a new bunch of young mids onto the list he will need to show something this season to get another contract IMO...

Yes, agree. Polson will be challenged to break into the 22. All the best to him though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24
Yes, agree. Polson will be challenged to break into the 22. All the best to him though.

I must admit, I wasn't a fan of Polson, I thought he was too small and too slow.

But I've had a chat about him to a few well connected club people and if what they say is true, and he can deal with the physical side of football, he's got a long future.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
I must admit, I wasn't a fan of Polson, I thought he was too small and too slow.

But I've had a chat about him to a few well connected club people and if what they say is true, and he can deal with the physical side of football, he's got a long future.

I'd be surprised if there were many still on our list who didn't have that level of potential?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
I'm a bit worried that Polson isn't big enough and his foot skills are far from elite from what I have seen.  I know there are others his size who have succeeded (Murphy is one), but when you are smaller, you can't just be good, you have to be exceptional.

I will be happy to be proven wrong.

I think the correlation between height and success as a footballer is hugely overstated.

The last 2 premierships were won by teams who seriously lacked height.

His long bullet pass onto the chest of his teammate 25m out directly in front was a highlight of the AFLX the other night. He's showed plenty of flashes like that obviously. It's just a matter of whether or not he can find the pill enough. I'd say Cunningham faces the exact same issue. He can play but can he be a 30 pos a game player?

Reply #27
Polson reminds me of Wright and McLean when they started off, although McLean was an elite kick before being injured!

Polson looks like he has all the brains in the world, and that will create him time and space as long as he gets more exposure and finds his role. I hope he'll be one of those players who can see the game unfolding and will be there prepared and waiting for the ball to arrive.

The main difference I see is those 2 guys are very slow whereas Polson seems very quick from what I've seen... others might have seen more of him than me though.

Reply #28
Well, it does seem Bolts will pick on form so good luck to all the players, Daisy included!

Clearly, there is healthy competition for a lot of spots this year, even amongst the key forwards eg Charlie (a given), Levi, Kerr and Harry.

Can Charlie, Harry and Levi all play in the forward line?

Given Charlie's mobility and flexibiity he's essentially a giant ruck rover (think Kouta) and can play small (ish) for a high marking tall.

Essndon plat three tall in the forward half and they are the third highest scoring team in 2017 - with an AVERAGE MIDFIELD.

Havng three legitmate marking targets will surely make life easier for each of the three forwards as defenders can't focus on one solely....

It ain't rocket science!

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
I see that The Aints are angling to have the JLT game moved based on "Poor Lighting!

We should play at Moorabbin, the surface there is pretty schmick, especially after they've left the sprinklers on overnight! ;D
The Force Awakens!