Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Frankston (Read 18125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Frankston

Reply #91
Triple figure tackles!

A strong focus today especially since we looked like we were being out-bodied and out-tackled early in the game. A good effort today imo. Stuck to our task doggedly.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #92
I wouldn't be rushing Silvagni back into the seniors but playing Weitering in the VFL is bordering on the ridiculous when our senior side can't win a game.
It reminds me a bit of when we had Nick Stevens running around for the Bullants and Darren Pfeiffer in the seniors.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #93
Weitering looked great today - assured and in control. Hopefully he's ready to come back after that. Jack really put in imo but he seems to be learning a new role with more time on the ball. Maybe he needs a bit longer.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #94
NB Website:

BESTS
Northern Blues: Weitering, Silvagni, Shaw, Polson, Kerr, Lang

Reply #95
I watched the last 3-1/2 quarters from Can Hill, a couple of my mates had kids playing for the Dolphins so I stood with them.

It was an ordinary game, lots of tackles recorded because in general very poor ball use. We were smashed in the ruck by Pierce, we tried Lobbe, Milham and De Koning, none of them looked likely but De Koning tried hard.

Lang is miles away, he looked old and slow, he does not look comfortable as an onballer, he has no idea! Wilson and Polson were clearly our preferred starting midfield.

Weitering took a heap of marks, but he was basically the loose defender all day long. Most of the day he and JGM argued about who was going to pick up the last forward. On the plus side his ball use is sorely missed from our ones, he was the only player on the ground from both teams that had any disposal efficiency worth talking about.

Silvagni puts in but continually turns into trouble. His disposal was rubbish, kicks 3 out of 4 at the toes of team-mates. Frankston were quite a fast side but a small side, it should have been a day for SoJ to dominate overhead but most of his marks came on leads.

Kerr kicked a few late, but otherwise had a bad day at the office, wasn't getting to the fall of the ball and when he did he dropped the marks more often than not.

Polson was OK, but he lacked the ability to break free, even against a team that gives him a reasonable size match.

Hill should be pensioned off, like our seniors he wasted most of the footy he got hold of!

De Koning was OK, took two mighty marks, based on today's game you give him a crack ahead of Kerr or Silvagni. But Kerr clearly has the size and strength to play AFL.

I thought Fisher was probably our best, ran all day!

If Frankston had been better with ball use they would have smashed us, they made us look ridiculously slow, and Pierce killed us for 3 quarters. It's only that the Dolphins basically kept kicking that ball to 2 on 1 contests in which Weitering was the spare player!

Not sure what our game plan was, it appeared non-existent.

We looked dog tired after 1/4 time, but still looked the same at the end while the Dolphins dropped off heavily!

Overall a win, probably due to our heavy AFL content with extra fitness, Dolphins have school teachers and tradies playing for them, but nothing to write home about!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
After a lot of hard work and ugly footy, it seemed the boys clicked... albeit against a side with a great attitude, lots of grunt but little finesse.

Weiters started well in terms of positioning himself, but dropped marks and his disposal was dreadful, BUT, as the game progressed he got his mojo back and was backing himself beautifully. Took many of his signature marks and disposal became deadly. Easily BOG. Was also vocal down back... good stuff.

Really liked Polson's game. Got some mongrel and kept us in it early. But as others have noted, he hasn't many tricks but could be an evolving tag... quick, strong, bit of mongrel and likes it in traffic.

A few of us noted a few weeks ago that SOJ wasn't cutting it as a forward and suggested that due to his good reading of the game/play and terrific work ethic that he'd potentially be a v.g. inside mid. Well, his game, especially in the 2nd half, in traffic, in the heat of battle, was bl00dy terrific. I'd be leaving him in the Magoos to learn on-ball craft and build fitness. He and Polson were tackling machines in tight.

Love Shaw's composure down back. I don't think he wasted a disposal... just what you want from a HB. Every kick seemed to hit a target, lace out, over long distance. Just needs to impose himself a little more on the contest.

Schumacher is a good pick-up. Looking forward to watching him develop. Could be a ripper.

The big Dutchman has got something special. We've got a future player with this guy...  once he learns the game. Really enthused about his potential.

Kerr seemed discombobulated for most of the first half, but once he 'woke up', he was hard at it and the Frangers found him a handful  ;)

Lang showed his ability and smarts early on but tired. Another game or two in the Magoos and he'll be a solid inclusion to the seniors.

Lobbe looked right at home and helped keep us in the game in the first half... will be a top notch back up.

Sorry but JGM, unless something dramatic happens, will be delisted at years end.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #97
Well!! Those 2 reports were interesting to read????

Reply #98
Well!! Those 2 reports were interesting to read????

I had a giggle too... ah, it'd be a boring world if we all saw things exactly the same!  :)) :))
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #99

Weitering.   Very good.  Too good for this level.  Can't play him and Jones in the same defence IMHO. They both like to help a team mate.

I agree - Jones has pinched Weiters' spot - both of them are better as zoning defenders - especially if they don't have an opponent as Weiters didn't for much of today's game.

However, Jones is much faster, a more decisive defender, a better kick and has some capacity to play man-on-man - unlike Weiters who really struggles against a leading forward.

Reply #100
I agree - Jones has pinched Weiters' spot - both of them are better as zoning defenders - especially if they don't have an opponent as Weiters didn't for much of today's game.

However, Jones is much faster, a more decisive defender, a better kick and has some capacity to play man-on-man - unlike Weiters who really struggles against a leading forward.

Jones is a waste of time, he punches what Weitering marks, Weitering in form gives us control of the footy while Jones punching creates chaos!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101
Weitering was very good for the NBs.  One bright light on a dull day for the club

Reply #102

...and thats about the size of it.

Nothing against Weitering, but the way he plays doesn't suit our senior side with the players we have in it. The boy can play, but he needs to play HIS way and he simply won't get that in the seniors most weeks with specifically Jones, and even Marchbank (when fit) playing the role better than him.

He'll get recalled this week, in preference to O'Shea (i hope) and should go alright.

Reply #103
After a lot of hard work and ugly footy, it seemed the boys clicked... albeit against a side with a great attitude, lots of grunt but little finesse.

Weiters started well in terms of positioning himself, but dropped marks and his disposal was dreadful, BUT, as the game progressed he got his mojo back and was backing himself beautifully. Took many of his signature marks and disposal became deadly. Easily BOG. Was also vocal down back... good stuff.

Really liked Polson's game. Got some mongrel and kept us in it early. But as others have noted, he hasn't many tricks but could be an evolving tag... quick, strong, bit of mongrel and likes it in traffic.

A few of us noted a few weeks ago that SOJ wasn't cutting it as a forward and suggested that due to his good reading of the game/play and terrific work ethic that he'd potentially be a v.g. inside mid. Well, his game, especially in the 2nd half, in traffic, in the heat of battle, was bl00dy terrific. I'd be leaving him in the Magoos to learn on-ball craft and build fitness. He and Polson were tackling machines in tight.

Love Shaw's composure down back. I don't think he wasted a disposal... just what you want from a HB. Every kick seemed to hit a target, lace out, over long distance. Just needs to impose himself a little more on the contest.

Schumacher is a good pick-up. Looking forward to watching him develop. Could be a ripper.

The big Dutchman has got something special. We've got a future player with this guy...  once he learns the game. Really enthused about his potential.

Kerr seemed discombobulated for most of the first half, but once he 'woke up', he was hard at it and the Frangers found him a handful  ;)

Lang showed his ability and smarts early on but tired. Another game or two in the Magoos and he'll be a solid inclusion to the seniors.

Lobbe looked right at home and helped keep us in the game in the first half... will be a top notch back up.

Sorry but JGM, unless something dramatic happens, will be delisted at years end.
Nice post Baggers. Agree with will all that. TDK will be something as you say. Schumy looks the goods also. Youre right abour Shaw, 7for s scruffy looking bloke, he is composed and doesnt waste. Could he be a replacement for Simmo I wonder? Just to allow Simmo to go back to the 2s  and get some form with the ball in hand as he has been deplorable.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #104
Jones is a very strong mark and times his run well on most occasions.  At the moment it is all about ‘see ball, punch ball’ which can create opportunities for the opposition. If you mark thecball, when appropriate, you have full control.